on 24 June 2008
These headphones are not actually 5.1 surround sound. They are "virtual" 5.1

True 5.1 headphones have 4 speakers (front left, front right, rear left, rear right) plus a subwoofer built into the headband.

These headphones have just 2 speakers and a subwoofer. The software supposedly creates the illusion of 5.1 sound. There is just one problem: the software does no such thing. Setting the sounds to the front sounds exactly the same as setting them to the rear.

Despite this disappointment (which must be against the Trades Description Act), these are good quality headphones for the money. They are comfortable to wear, have good bass response and good treble. Mid tones can get a little lost but that suits my style of music.

They make good gaming 'phones. The mic folds away nicely when not in use.

The other major drawback however, is the poor placing of the volume control. This is a big clunky box that is wired into the headphone wire. It has been placed so high on the wire that it wont rest on your desk. Instead it squashes up against your wrist as you type. When you get fed up with this, you can try slinging the wire behind your back, but then the box squashes between your back and your chair and tugs at your ear. If they had placed it just a few more inches down it would rest on the desk.

Because of this, and the fact they are not true 5.1, I would not recommend these, despite the otherwise good quality and good price.
on 8 June 2009
I'll try and keep this is as short as possible.

The headphones have fantastic sound quality - they're crystal clear.

My only gripes are with the control box on the wire:

Firstly, the lights are really bright - my girlfriend has been dazzled to the point of shouting at me when sat a good 4 metres away. I find myself having to position my t-shirt over the controls when gaming (Especially in the dark) to avoid lighting the room up. I was happy to give the headphones 5 stars despite this - but...

Secondly - the weight of the control box after approx 6 months usage has caused the wire to split from the headphones. I've tried gluing it back (as the wires haven't split yet) but it's just gone and split in another area.

To conclude - these headphones produce great sound, but don't expect them to last you very long. If you are impressed by neon lights under peoples cars - you MUST BUY THESE HEADPHONES. If you're not - probably best you avoid them.
on 1 December 2012
Volume control is very insensitive. As others have mentioned, 1% is sometimes too loud so you have to use the application's volume control instead. The underlying hardware is C-Media CM108, and I've upgraded the Win 7 driver to the latest I could find: v7.12.8.2144, to no avail. The volume doesn't increase gradually, 1% is the same as 9%, then 10% jumps up, etc.

Decent sound quality though, very comfortable because of the low weight. Can't comment on the mic or surround sound as haven't used.

Flashing blue light on the in-line control is ridiculously bright, I had to stick two layers of gaffa tape over it to prevent it being distracting.
on 12 February 2015
I'd give this headset 5 stars if it weren't for the fact that there's no padding on top... I'm bald, so it gets uncomfortable after a while. As such, I actually wear this around my neck- the adjustable microphone is handy in that regard. I have been searching a a mic that is of equal quality to this one for months with no luck - I must have bought half a dozen headsets and dedicated microphones, including expensive professional ones like the Blue Yeti, and nothing compares to the quality that this mic provides. Now if only I could find the exact same mic in a more comfortable headset!
on 22 July 2010
Cracking piece of kit. Clarity is immense. I use this piece of kit for conferencing upon the Open University website for my tutorials. Easy to use, just plugs and away you go. I cannot recommend this Headset/Mic enough. Robert
on 10 July 2012
This is my second set of these headphones and they are the best i work with a lot of low bass music at 33Hz and there no distortion in any way my original set lasted almost 8 years well worth £20 if not more