on 15 April 2017
If you are looking for a remastered 16.9 stereo sound TV serious, this box set is not for you. If you are looking for great acting, great scripts and a game changing programme for Children TV, than this TV serious is for you. My VHS copies had seen better days and I had been waiting to purchase this box set for a while, but the price was through the roof on some sites. It was in great condition, my only complaint is that Music Magpie could not pack the second CD with this one to save on costs.
on 22 February 2008
I loved this show when I was a teenager! Life seemed so exciting in the Junior Gazette office! I idolised Linda Day (which now seems quite worrying as she was really mean!) and loved her relationship with Spike. I especially loved Colin and had a soft spot for Kenny too.
I used to be obsessed with this show if I'm honest, I'd tape it and watch it over and over again. But those video tapes are long gone and all I was left with were distant memories, until I received this amazing box set for my 32nd birthday last year - hurrah!
I spent a wonderful few days watching every episode, and yes some are better than others but Steven Moffat's script still sparkles with wit and intelligence. Everything about this series is of the highest quality, from the writing to the acting and directing.
I absolutely loved hearing the commentary from Steven Moffat and Julia Sawalha, it is really hilarious the way Julia remembers very little apart from kissing scenes with Dexter Fletcher! Steven Moffat however remembers everything and it is fascinating for a fan such as myself to hear so many little anicdotes about the making of the show.
If you were a fan of this show you must buy this or get somebody to buy it for you, you will LOVE it!
on 18 March 2017
Good quality Video and audio (or as good as could be expected from a TV series filmed in the 1980's/1990's.
on 15 May 2007
I remember watching this the first time round, when I had an unhealthy obsession with Dexter Fletcher.

Watching it now it hasn't dated - apart from the type writers,'mobile phones', and clothes - it's a cleverly written and funny show. There's a few things I didn't get as a kid and it's good to look back on it now as an adult.

Over 15 years on and I'm still laughing out loud at Lynda's acidic retorts and Colin's antics.

I recommend it to anyone who remembers it the first time round and anyone who loves clever kids tv.
on 12 April 2007
If you grew up in the 80's like me, you may remember watching this the first time round, it was my fave show.
Years on I still love it - what can I say, we were spoiled with the t.v shows
we had, nothing like the rubbish they put on tv after school these days - haha! Buy it!
Just wanted to add to this as I had written the first part of my review before I finshed watching the whole box set.
I bought it for around 26 pounds and wouldnt pay the price
quoted here, I recommend series 1+2 only, it's actually downhill from there, like the writers run out of ideas. They flogg the Spike + Lynda storyline to death, and they get rid of kenny (bad move)
Although there are a few good episodes after series 2, the majority are dissapointing. Especially the final ever episode. Shame really.
on 27 April 2016
Excellent
on 13 October 2014
Great show ! Not to be missed
on 30 April 2017
Just as I remembered it,with a very gripping final episode
on 17 September 2015
Press Gang is without doubt one of the best children's programmes ever made, indeed one of the best programmes ever made fullstop. It is both drama and sitcom and romance by turns, telling the daily trials and tribulations as a group of excelling and failing students at a school are put together and charged to produce a weekly Junior Gazette newspaper.

Starring Julia Sawalha, Lee Ross, Dexter Fletcher, among a raft of young talent, and written by Steven Moffatt (think of recent episodes of Doctor Who and of Benedict Cumberbatch's incarnation of SHERLOCK), the storylines - far from being on a youngsters level - are equally entertaining to adult viewers. The dialogue - especially between the sparring would-be lovers editor Lynda Day and drop-out Spike Thomson - is never less than razor sharp, even 28 years later.

This is a brilliantly written and performed ensemble show, thoroughly entertaining, full of wit and verve.
on 11 January 2016
This series hasn't aged very well. On viewing again, I realised what a spoilt quite nasty character Lynda was. Iv bought the Grange Hill series and these are better and seem relevant today. Also my nephews age 11 and13 prefer Grange Hill to Press Gang although they do like Press Gang and find it quite funny, it has much more comedy elements than grange Hill.