on 18 September 2006
I bought the full blown Xbox 360 package so I already own a Wireless Controller, but I wanted a second controller for multiplayer games, and figured that the wired version would do nicely and would also double up as a controller for playing PC games with.

This model is obviously similar to the wireless version, but minus the battery pack and with a USB cable connected. It does indeed work with PCs as well as the 360 but you have to download a driver from Microsoft to neable this.

The controller feels lighter in the hands than the wireless version, mostly due to the removed battery pack. But while the design is basically the same, you can't help but feel that the wired controller isn't manufactured to standards as high as those used for the wireless version. The thumbsticks feel plasticy instead of the rubberized texture of the wireless thumbsticks, and the coloured plastic inset in the controller's underside also appears to be of a lower quality plastic than the one on the wireless controller.

This is a shame because otherwise the wired controller is a well designed game pad for both the xbox 360 and USB equipped PCs.
VINE VOICEon 14 January 2007
Using it with WinXP it performs very well. I have been using it with Toca Race Driver 3. It is very well made and seems quite durable. Why no steering whell? Well, I do not like them and the keyboard is not really suited. This pad is much better.

If using it on a PC you will need to download the driver from Microsoft's site since there is no CD in the box. Double click to install. You can check it is functioning properly via the Control Panel under Game Controllers. Next, into your game(s) and set up the controls from there. There is some help offered onscreen after installation but that oddly seems more aimed at the Xbox 360 than the PC.
VINE VOICEon 25 July 2007
The best controller I have ever used. It is so comfortable, and Im sure it will not get tiring with extended game sessions.

I've been using this to play Halo 2 on the PC, and whilst Im still getting used to aiming with the joysticks, I am improving.

All too often with other gamepads, you feel overwhelmed with the buttons, if they are even mapped properly. Every button is mapped in Halo 2 intuitively, and if more games follow suit, and use the vibration capabilities well, the controller may begin to play a key part in PC gaming that is all too dominated by the mouse and keyboard combo.

The vibration feedback is a little strong however, and whilst feeling good when felt in short bursts. When "spraying" fire, the unit shakes along with its buttons (especially the xbox guide button) which makes a rattly noise.
Additionally the joystick buttons make a loud sound when pressed. Like somebody cracking their knuckles loudly.

All of this does not detract from the experience however. If you have a Windows Vista Machine, and need a gamepad, you can't do better than this attempt by Microsoft to unify controller gaming for the PC Platform. Just plug it into a USB port, and the drivers are automatically downloaded and installed by Windows Update. No configuration or calibration neccessary.
on 9 April 2007
I bought this for my PC mainly but as secondly as a controller I can use with my flatmates 360 to save him buying more controllers for us all.

Works flawlessly on the 360 as you'd expect.

On the PC I've stumbled into problems. It half worked with UT2K4 but kept moving to the bottom left hand corner of the screen which I could not stop even with some calibration. After more testing I found it worked fine with Need For Speed Underground and Magic The Gathering Battlegrounds.

As mentioned before, some games didn't recognise the Z axis which is the trigger buttons. I'm guessing these are Z axis because they're analogue buttons (they can be depressed anydistance upto full or nothing where as digital buttons are either pressed or not) This is a mjor shame. They did work on NFS:U mind.

Looking forward to trying on other PC games. Hopefully it'll work probably on more. Shame it's not 100% perfect.

Build quality is good. Same quality as the wireless ones IMHO. Only 4 stars because it's not 100% compatible with the PC but that is to be honest, an extra for the controller thats designed primarily for the 360.
on 22 December 2010
I don't have an Xbox 360. I bought this for the PC.

Works very well, well supported in drivers by Microsoft and very easy to install. Currently using it on a Windows 7 64bit Ultimate machine.

What stands out about this controller is compatibility. Over the years, it has become the 'standard', helped a lot by the growing number of multiplatform games (games on PC, Xbox 360 and Sony Playstation 3). And because the same games are on different platforms, many of them automatically are set up to play just like it would on a console but on the PC. This is the closest you can get to 'plug and play' for a game controller for the PC.

As for the controller itself, it's comfortable, has enough buttons, got good force feedback and is responsive. The only criticism i have is the Dpad which is often imprecise in tactility - it is nowhere near the 'second nature' feeling of the SNES Dpad or even the Nintendo DS Dpad. Having said that, more and more games rely on the 3D stick and analogue shoulder buttons instead, and those parts are excellent.

Recommended.
on 20 February 2008
This is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a decent controller for my computer which would be durable (unlike my old one) and had 2 analogue sticks and 2 analogue triggers (very useful for driving games like need for speed). The only other one I found with 2 analogue triggers was one by Logitech but it was much more expensive.

Being actually designed for use with a console by the first party producer of the console you know it cannot be a bad product and, as it's Microsoft, you know it will work without any problems with your PC. If on Vista you do not even need to download the drivers, just connect the controller to a USB port and it will auto-install itself.

I prefer the wired version because:
1) it's cheaper
2) I don't have to keep on buying batteries
3) I use it with my laptop so I play close to it anyway. In fact, the cable is pretty long so you won't have a problem unless you have a massive TV and need to sit quite a few metres away from it.

For £18 I doubt you can find a better controller.
on 8 July 2013
Despite what the picture and description may suggest, this is not a legit controller, my order (when it finally arrived) was a poor quality remake of an official Xbox controller (it did not even have the TM Xbox logo). Plays badly, if playing a FPS expect to fail hard with this controller. It was apparent that it was of low quality before I even plugged it in. This is definitely not worth the price it is. Save your money and make sure to buy an official controller. It is just sad that there is someone waiting to scam you at every corner these days.
on 6 July 2013
Do not buy this product. It disconnects every 3 seconds, which makes online or even normal offline gameplay hell. You would think buying a wired controller would save a lot of money on batteries. But at the risk of throwing it through your tv screen, I highly advise going for the, more expensive, wireless controller.

Terrible piece of equipment
on 17 June 2013
I finally got my controller threw the post. Was well excited, to find that the controller is in horrible condition! The controller has a smoke smell to it! the controller is filthy, the back buttons and the sides of the controller are sticky... not highly rating this controller at all!!
on 16 May 2013
Review would have been 5 stars if the break away cable came included,
Description doesn't say whether it comes with it or not, I assumed it would