Customer reviews

The Cat
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 June 2016
There's no one like him that I know of, Any suggestions will be welcome.
I first got to know of the 'Cat' in the sixties, and loved him ever since. I even used his music for my signature tune on
the camp radio. Just so cool music... This is a great record. It makes me want to purr!
on 11 November 2011
Jimmy Smith was a hugely influential and successful musician in the 60's and 70's and completely re-wrote the rule book for jazz organ players. He was, if anything, possibly over-hyped in his heyday,but he could really generate some almighty powerful swing from his chosen instrument.Provided with massively supportive big band backings, Smith swings like crazy through some very powerful arrangements on this CD, which certainly has stood up well over the passage of time,and is well worth the modest investment needed to acquire it.
on 20 December 2013
Should have bought this 50 years ago!
Bought Monster in the 60's, which has remained one of my favourites ever since, but never explored Jimmy Smith any further until now, when I find my musical tastes have gone full cycle.
The Cat has some great tracks which you can either become involved with or leave as background. Which ever way, you have to wonder at and admire Jimmy Smith's virtuosity on the Hammond organ. This album is as relevant now as it was back in 64.
on 16 September 2016
I have had this (on vinyl) for years and always loved it (it took far too long to get a cd copy though!) The power of the band, Lalo Schifrin's great arrangements and Jimmy Smith's wonderful Hammond organ make a great combination!
on 1 February 2013
I bought this because it had the Cat and Basin Street Blues on but I was delighted to find that the theme to the Carpet Baggers is the music that they used for the original BBC Money Programme. Stick it on headphones and play loud.
on 13 July 2016
A brilliant organist at his best. The arrangements and recording quality are crisp and the choice of numbers cannot be faulted. The remastering ensures that high and low volumes both suit car journeys!
on 14 December 2015
Jimmy Smith is brilliant but the balance of the recording wasn't very good . Consequently the backing band was overpowering the organ on occasions. Otherwise thoroughly enjoyable
on 18 July 2014
This CD I bought many years ago as an LP, and I loved it then and still do now. Good quality
on 25 February 2016
Every home should have one, This is the Cat for Cool Cats!
on 14 February 2013
Jimmy Smiths music makes a complete change to everything else and easy to listen to, but its not the modern music of today.