Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 December 2003
There is not much to add to the comments of other reviewers. I bought this CD from Amazon as it was a cheapie, and because the reviews indicated it was similar to some other music I've been listening to recently. The investment was definitely worthwhile. The CD contains some of the most gentle, simply structured music I have ever heard, but on the 2nd or 3rd play reveals itself as also being incredibly complex (OK, I know that doesn't make too much sense, but stick with me)If you want music for background, to really listen to, be moved by or to take you to any other place in your imagination, this CD fits the bill. Music for deep contemplation or for letting go. Excellent.
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 September 2003
Obviously music is personal, but this cd is a wonderful refreshing
change to all the new age garbage that is produced to cater for western ears. It is bare roots meditation music for the serious practitioner. I find myself experiencing / accessing deeper levels of meditive trance when listening to this recording.
Try listening to it in open, less freqented places, woods/ moorland etc; HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. DON. X
on 13 May 2009
I first bought this title as an LP in the mid 1960s. I have been listening to it ever since and it is one of my favourites. I have never wearied of playing it - the vinyl wore out and happily CDs then came out - which, given some of the spaciness of certain sections, helped me to exterminate the snap, crackle, and pops. It is better than (institutionalised) Zen as it is really of the Now. Two classical Japanese musicians enticed into playing improvisations by a jazz clarinettist - not that his playing is in any way 'jazzy'. No - he intended to try and make his clarinet sound like the Japanese bamboo flute the Shakuhachi. The music is unhurried and I have never got away from the certainty that they all played from a meditative space within themselves. There are duets and one piece the full trio. Lots of listening to each other. Sublime, peaceful and enticing use of (then) unfamiliar instrumental sounds. This was way ahead of any other relaxation or New Age music. Really it is a happening and stemming from meditative experience is of a relaxing nature but otherwise I would not classify it as simply relaxation music - it is far more than that. It is a 'record' of a one-off event (recording-wise) and I almost feel privileged to be witness to the results.
on 27 September 2009
This CD is in a class of its own. The music is simple but just beautiful to listen to. I never fail to feel calm, absorbed and peaceful when I listen to this CD. It is inspiring in its simplicity. The combination of flute/clarinet and strings is very appealing. It has helped me considerably through a difficult period of illness and stress. I can't recommend this highly enough.
on 14 June 2006
Theres nothing I can say that hasn't already been said in the other reviews!!

I just want to reiterate that this cd is fantastic for relaxation & meditation. With practise, this CD can take you places you never dreamed of before...trust me!!
on 9 February 2008
This CD is simply superb. I was a bit concerned about having a clarinet play Zen music, but I needn't have worried. The sound is beautiful. I have been listening to so-called "meditation" music for years, but this is by far the greatest. I find it is not a distraction, like most other music, but is instead calming and stilling. It has inspired me to buy much more of this type of music as it is only now that I realise most of my other so-called "meditation" music was simply not that at all. If you are looking for music to still your mind and create space and beauty, buy this CD. You won't be disappointed.
on 25 November 2000
Tony Scott's classic Zen meditation album, created after spending several months in Japan, uses traditional instruments and the clarinet to produce an ethnic, yet still essentially Jazz, sound. Scott's clarinet playing is superb, imbueing the melodies with simplicity and emotion. The emphasis here is on pauses and tranquility. The effect is perfect for relaxation, either after a hard day at the office, or just as background music. This is a recording that begs to be listened to again and again; if you're feeling a bit cultural and want to listen to something that will make you take a fresh look at jazz, give this album a try. You've never heard clarinet like this before!
on 9 February 2008
I, too, have had this CD for some years, and never tire of it. In my opinion, that's because it isn't 'music', in the sense of an entertainment, but a study in sound that can be very helpful in the practice of mindfulness.
on 30 August 2014
Tony Scott was a true pioneer producing one of the earliest 'new age' fusion albums while remaining true to the original music form. This was a total impulse purchase. I'd never heard of Tony Scott but was intrigued how jazz and zen could be combined. I was won over after first play. The sleeve notes explain that it was not common for Japanese classical musicians to improvise. The results appear effortless and authentic. A Japanese friend described it as 'very Japanese'. It would have been easy for the clarinet to dominate but instead it compliments the classical Japanese instruments of koto and shakuhachi. Often the clarinet sounds like a shakuhachi. Occasionally there are jazz runs on the clarinet and even these are in keeping with the musical style. It's clear that Scott really understood the musical tradition and the musicians he was working with. So it feels authentic but he definitely adds a subtle new dimension. The music is never bland like so much of the modern 'new age' stuff and that is clearly a problem for some of the reviewers. After one play it became one of my all time favourite albums. I find it so unbelievably calming. And if you don't really get it on first play, it's definitely something worth sticking with. Music shouldn't only support your existing mindset it can help us to transform.We can tap into other aspects of ourselves by tapping into something new. Isn't that also the role of mediation?
on 5 February 2012
I first came across this music on vinyl in the 1970s during one of my rambles round the record shops in Johannesburg during my teenage years. 35 years or so later, I finally got round to buying a copy - and found out what I'd been missing.

This is definitely not jazz, nor would I describe it as particularly new-age music - rather an early essay into the realms of world music. The three instruments (clarinet, koto and shakuhachi) create a wonderful interplay, quiet music to lose yourself in.

Obviously geared to assist with meditation, this won't be to everyone's taste, but if you have an interest in Eastern cultures (as I do) or you perhaps want to relax or unwind at the close of a hard day, this may well appeal to you. This really did bring a sense of peace to me.

The remastering of the 1964 recording is extremely well done, and the stereo channel separation is excellent.