Prairie Wind (CD Only)
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 January 2016
I've always preferred Neil's acoustic material as opposed to his more rocker side, so Prairie Wind hits the spot. There is a country feel to this album although not as pronounced as "Old Ways" which is pure country. This suites me as someone who enjoys "modern country" music. If you like Neil's Silver & Gold album I'm sure you'll enjoy "Prairie Wind".
I bought this album via Zoverstocks and as I've experienced on many occasions, the CD/Packaging was in excellent condition and delivered promptly.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 September 2009
"Prairie Wind" is an almost overwhelmingly beautiful album at times, with only a couple of weaker moments. I would perhaps categorise myself as a fan of the "electric Neil" over the years - I listen to "Ragged Glory" and "Zuma" more than I do "After The Goldrush" and "Harvest Moon". Consequently I wasn`t one of those who pre-ordered this upon release, and didn`t think I`d care for it much upon eventually purchasing it.

Tsssk, was I wrong. As I`ve said before to anyone who`ll listen, never doubt Neil Young; buy everything he releases as you just never know, it might contain something that restores your faith in the abilities of man to occasionally rise above his station and produce something that is truly great.

"It`s A Dream" and "This Old Guitar" are two such moments. They are genuinely beautiful ballads, and almost enough to make you stop whatever you`re doing, and cry. Containing these songs is nearly reason enough to award five glorious stars.

This album has some real faults though. Lyrically, the subject matter and motivation for the album (Neil`s aneurysm and the death of his father are overplayed as reasons for the reflective mood but shouldn`t be dismissed) do lend themselves to a certain cliched and treacly quality. "When God Made Me" is almost a hymn, and not musically or lyrically strong enough, whilst "The Painter" is unadventurous and not a promising start (it`s pleasant enough, but not memorable). I do enjoy "No Wonder" though, which has one of best drum fills I`ve heard in years. "Falling Off The Face Off The Earth" has a very strong chorus which compensates for the comparatively weak verses; "Prairie Wind" addresses his late father`s dementia but almost overstays its welcome.

On balance, a very very good album, which may be too soft for some; even though I normally like to hear the Crazy Horse side of Neil, I`m sure there will be days when some of this exquisite album will all but produce a tear in my eye. Don`t forget to purchase "Heart Of Gold" too, if you like what you hear - (actually, it`s a far cheaper option to buy the DVD first, then this)!
on 9 January 2018
Suppose to be the third album to go with Harvest and Harvest moon great album
on 18 April 2018
Not as good as I expected but some good moments
on 17 December 2017
No comment
on 22 December 2017
great album
on 18 August 2017
Already own the J Demme produced Neil Young Heart of Gold DVD but eventually had to buy Prairie Wind CD for Audio listening.
Superb.
on 15 October 2014
I love this CD.If you are a fan of Neil Young buy it.
on 11 April 2013
a real hidden gem from a true living legend just put this on and chill out to a wonderful cocktail of harmonica acoustic guitar driven folky blues not a bad track in sight and the title track one of his best songs and thats saying something one of my fav neil young albums alongside the ramshackle riff driven glory that is 'ragged glory' wonderful stuff buy them both
on 6 May 2015