on 11 December 2005
If you love Musicals, this DVD will blow you away with the qualiity of the production, to the glittering names of the stars, who sing their hearts out. It shows us just how much we have to thank Cameron Mackintosh, for the number of musicals he's brought to the West End. Pure Magic. Showstopper after Showstopper.
on 6 June 2010
Never on one stage has so much talent ever been assembled!!!!!!

It is truly amazing to see the genius of cameron macintosh performed on stage by a wide range of performers ranging from both the theatre and visual (TV/FILM) world.

I am a big fan of musicals but even so, must consider myself as an enthusiastic amateur; when I see stars whom I would never even think of singers come on stage and blow me away. Ranging from Dame Judi Dench & Julia McKenzie, both of whom have always thought of and regarded as dramatic theatre actresses to Hugh Jackman star of X-Men, singing a powerful number from Oklahoma.

It is a must for anybody who loves musical theatre and for those whom have never experienced musical theatre; there is sure to be one song that will take your breath away or even make you shed a tear (Memory)or laugh (Gotta pick a pocket or two).
on 16 March 2009
I was actually there for the concert and was totally blown away by the whole experience. I wasn't overawed by the presence of the Queen (there were plenty of queens there). It was all so well thought out and staged, and this DVD shows the best of it. There are a few minor cuts, but in general it is an exemplary record of a very special night. I don't know anywhere else where you could get this calibre of performer and the mix of different shows. There are far too many highlights to mention, but whatever your taste in musical theatre, one or more of your favourites is bound to be included. Sit back and enjoy!
"Hey Mr Producer!" This DVD is a live recording of a 1998 concert given at the Lyceum Theatre, London, as introduced by Dame Julie Andrews (The Sound Of Music ), in the presence of Her Majesty the Queen and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh. It was a charity gala in aid of the Royal National Institute for the Blind and the Combined Theatrical Charities, and was originally recorded for television. It is one disk, totaling 164 minutes, and, it appears, at least 56 songs, from some of the biggest, most popular shows to play New York's Broadway and/or London's West End, all produced by Cameron Mackintosh. And it brings together on one stage quite a few theatrical and celluloid stars, for a total of over 200 performers.

Among the first favorites are likely to be a generous selection of five songs from Frederick Lowe's and Alan Jay Lerner's "My Fair Lady," as sung by Liz Robertson, Jonathan Pryce, and others. We also get a nice selection of three songs from the under-appreciated masterpiece "Little Shop of Horrors," by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman (creators of Disney's beloved Little Mermaid : two of the songs are delivered by Ellen Greene, who created the part of Audrey on Broadway; and played it in the delightful movie of the same name, Little Shop Of Horrors.) Bernadette Peters delivers a nice "Unexpected Song," from Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Song & Dance." English stage star Sonia Swaby gives us a heart-felt "As Long as He Needs Me," from Lionel Bart's "Oliver." Then another generous selection of five songs from "Miss Saigon," in which Lea Salonga and Jonathan Pryce reprise tunes they created on Broadway, as they created their roles: Pryce gives us his "American Dream," which was greatly praised at its debut.

Next come two favorite, powerful songs from Lloyd Webber's "Phantom of the Opera:" "The Phantom of the Opera," and "Music of the Night." Bernadette Peters comes back to lead "Broadway Baby," from Stephen Sondheim's "Follies." She will reappear later to give us "Being Alive," from Sondheim's "Company;" she also leads an all-star "You've Gotta Have a Gimmick," from Sondheim's masterful "Gypsy," in which she recently played Rose on Broadway. (And I was lucky enough to see her!). But where oh where is Peters' riveting take - and now her signature song-- of "Rose's Song" from this show? Anyway, then we get some lovely music from "Carousel," by Richard Rogers and Oscar Hammerstein. The multi-talented, gorgeous and sexy Australian Hugh Jackman (X-Men Origins: Wolverine ) gives us a memorable "Oh What a Beautiful Mornin'," from the same immortal pair's "Oklahoma." Judi Dench gives us a heart-breaking take on that you might-have-thought-over-exposed classic, "Send in the Clowns," from Sondheim's "A Little Night Music." Then, "Jellicle Songs," and "Memory," from Lloyd Webber's evergreen "Cats:" British stage star Elaine Page does the latter, also over-exposed favorite, full justice. (Although I will always love best Betty Buckley's performance of the song, as she was the Grizabella I first saw.)The disk closes on a good selection from "Les Miserables," for fans of that play: Lea Salonga gives us a lovely "On My Own:" we also get "Do You Hear the People Sing?" and "One Day More."

I first bought this concert on CD, on First Night Records because I wanted Judi Dench's version of "Send in the Clowns" in the worst way. But time went by, and I wanted to SEE Dench perform this song. Mind you, I consider myself as sophisticated as most, and scorned the many takes I heard round and about of this once too popular song. Until I heard Dench's. Of course, Dame Judi Dench has recently been more active on screen than stage---she won a 1998 Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her queen in Shakespeare In Love; has also recently done The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel , and is now playing M in the James Bond movies. But Dench starred as Desiree in a 1996 London revival of "A Little Night Music," at the Royal National Theatre, and critics used up all their accolades on that one. Unfortunately, the cast recording of that show is long since out of print, and when it does show up, it's horribly pricey. So I sought her "Send in the Clowns" at this concert. And I was pleased to find a lot more favorites here. Now, frankly, I do prefer this concert in DVD to CD. It's just much nicer to be able to see all of these marvelous songs sung: many of them, such as "You Gotta Have a Gimmick," from "Gypsy," are presented in enjoyable production numbers. You are getting a lotta bang for your buck here.
on 4 January 2010
This DVD is excellent, I had the original on video and updated to DVD quality. Although the production is older, the DVD certainly brought it all back with superb quality..The case did say there was a souvenier booklet, but this was missing and you kindly sent me another DVD, however this one had no note about a booklet and therefore did not contain one, this is a shame as it is impossible to establish the performers. The DVD is a 'must have' for any musicals fan like myself.
on 4 December 2009
There is lots of content, loads of different performances covered on this DVD. It is enjoyable to watch, as long as you enjoy it for what it is - an overview. Lots of the songs have been considerably cut down (understandably so!) to fit it all in but still really great to watch. My only real complaint is the lack of subtitles or lyrics - essential for a DVD such as this!
on 7 February 2012
This concert is amazing - it's Cameron Macintosh being brilliant all over the place. However, some of the performers are great actors, but it's painful to hear them sing.
But, it's full of wonderful stuff too! Such as Lea Salonga as Eponine, Judi Dench singing 'Send in the Clowns' and Michael Ball as Marius! Most of this is stunning, it's definatley worth watching if you are a hard-core musicals fan. If not, I suggest you go to it with an open mind.
on 6 June 2009
This is something ! Freshness,joy,proficiency,everything there to spend endless hours watching a parade of stars giving their best.Extremely enjoyable...a MUST!!!
on 7 April 2013
Love all the music but spoiled by very bad sound quality we hat to keep turning sound up and down we had it on vhs
and loved it if I had not torn up packaging I would have returned it as it is money wasted
on 2 February 2009
FOR LOVERS OF MUSICAL THEATRE THIS IS A REAL TREAT. FEATURING THE MASTER - CAMERON MACKINTOSH - AND A HOST OF STARS - YOU SPEND THREE HOURS
ON A JOURNEY WHICH COVERS 25 YEARS OF LONDON'S TOP MUSICALS. A REAL ANTIDOTE FOR THESE TROUBLED TIMES.