Format: DVD|Change

on 2 April 2006
Being a young child of the '70's, the name Mr. Benn evokes memories of stiff-legged animation, the voice of the great Ray Brooks, an unmistakable theme tune, a variety of costumes and not forgetting the magical double act of Mr. Benn and the Shopkeeper. This no-frills DVD release delivers what is says on the case - all the episodes of this classic part of my childhood.
The quality of the DVD is excellent; the picture is sharp and the sound is excellent. Unlike a number of childhood programmes, Mr. Benn is just as good as I remember it to be - a charming series of moral-based stories which grab the attention. The DVD has the extra of an extra story of our hero as a gladiator. The new episode is successful in retaining the feel of the original stories and, hopefully, more stories are in the pipeline. The only gripe about the DVD is that there are no extras - a 'Making Of...' documentary would have been more than welcome. However, it is certainly a long-awaited release and a welcome addition to my DVD collection. Highly recommended!
22 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 October 2005
About time too!
The vhs collections have long been deleted and as such fetched very high prices on a certain popular auction website.
Now you can get all the televised episodes of Mr Benn on a no-frills dvd plus one new episode which apart from newly recorded music could easily have been from the original series.
Kids will love Mr Benn, his adventures involve pirates, dinosaurs, sea monsters, spacemen - great marketing(!) but i'd imagine this DVD will appeal just as much to people who loved watching this series when they were young, me for instance!
By the way, don't expect any trailers, making of documentaries, or biographies on this dvd, all you get is is every episode of Mr Benn from the 70s plus Mr Benn - Gladiator, the new story - that's it.
What more do you want?
Perfect.
0Comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 March 2006
The animation is beautifully uncluttered (and often subtler than first appears), the stories neat, humorous and with a quiet moral, and the music - perhaps because of the presence of Kenny Wheeler in the band - often has echoes of Miles Davis, especially Sketches of Spain. Who could ask for anything more?
on 18 July 2006
Our oldest (almost 3 years) loves Mr Benn! She is re-enacting his adventures pretending to be a pirate or a dinosaur and loves it.

It is nostalgic watching all those episodes again, it amazes me how much I still remembered.

This is a no-frill Mr Benn DVD, all episodes ever made, no extras, but who needs them anyway?
on 30 January 2007
For me, watching Mr. Benn was a trip down memory lane. For my wife and kids, however, this was a brand new experience because we live in America and they've never seen Mr. Benn before. The result? They loved it! I mean, really loved it! My kids saw it once and haven't stopped asking for it since. And my wife, who could be forgiven for not sharing my enthusiasm, says it's already one of her favourites. Add to that the fact that the menus and picture quality are far better than I was expecting and you've got the best kids' DVD £5 can buy!
on 14 November 2006
As soon as I heard that this had been released it brought memories of childhood flooding back to me. As one of my favourites growing up, I simply had to have it. Compared with modern animation it has a lot to live up to, but the stories and the imagination involved are just fantastic. Definitely one to have in the collection. The best thing is that because they are such short episodes you can watch it whenever, squeeze it in when you have a few spare minutes.
on 15 October 2005
Mr. Benn is a true king of preschool entertainment!!! His wonderful and highly imagintive adventures make my imagination whizz, and Roald Dahl also whizzes my imagination with tremendous ideas for my Minni-Stories, but anyhow Mr. Benn used to make me laugh out loud when I was a young toddler because of his theme tune of the show, and with the hilarous chracters! And because of this line; 'And as if my by magic, the shopkepper appered!' When I watch this DVD Box Set it feels like I'm walking back down Memory Lane, when I was a toddler, so this DVD Box Set for any Mr. Benn fan! (Such as my mum!)
From a giant Roald Dahl fan,
Max William James Keogh
12 years old.
VINE VOICEon 26 January 2006
I was concerned that Mr Benn might not appeal as much to my children, 6 and 4, as it does to nostalgic adults. Clearly, this is not Toy Story, it's not Shrek, and it's in a completely different universe from the Incredibles. However, I'm pleased to say that they loved it. I think that the charm of the series is its simplicity, and that the stories are very like simple childhood games. I do not expect to find my children "playing Mr Benn", as they have been recently "playing Narnia." They've been playing this sort of story all along.
I grew up with Mr Benn when I was little, so it was great to see this DVD, as I still have fond memories of the cartoons. Thankfully watching this my old memories didn’t dissipate in disappointment and I still enjoy watching this. For people like me this is some great nostalgia from our formative years, and children still seem to love this.

Always immaculately dressed in his suit and bowler hat we know that the moment Mr Benn walks into the fancy dress shop he is going to put on a costume and have a short fun adventure. Appearing in the top ten of children’s shows back in 2001, Mr Benn has already gained cult status and long may his adventures inspire and entertain us all.

We have the complete series here, and it was a surprise when you realise that there weren’t that many made to cause such fond memories as this has done. Giving children ideas with regards to play activities this also may start to create an interest in history, something that can be of some importance in later years.
on 12 June 2014
The all time classic show, Mr Ben!

For those of you from Mars, or teenage people who have never seen this, the plot is simple.

After work Mr Ben, in his suit and bowler hat, frequents a mysterious shop owned by a Egyptian fellow that looks a little like Alexie Sayle. When in this shop, he chooses a particular outfit from the racks, tries it on, and then gets transported to an adventure related to the chosen outfit. Some weeks he is a cowboy, some and Astronaut, and so on and so on.

A gem of a show that did not have many episodes but remains a repeated children's show all around the world, and I still have very happy memories of watching this, and I'm glad to say I can still watch it now.

Thanks for a great childhood Mr Ben!