on 30 May 2007
I have bought a few back massagers in my time.... which have ultimately got dusty, as they never delivered what they promised on the box. I suffer from chronic back pain so desperately needed something to help ease the muscles in my back. I am now pleased to say I have my own personal massage therapist whose fingers never tire! Bliss!

On the recommendations of other Amazon reviewers I purchased the Homedics SBM200.... which worked well too but wasn't ideal. A big draw back on that model is that it says it has 3 zones but it mainly concentrates on the middle part of the back...so not good if you want a massage in a particular place. I personally would only recommend this one out of the 2 models ... having used both models ....this one does what is says.

This model states that you can keep the massager in the exact position you want and it does exactly that ... it's brilliant at getting those knots out and really works. It's not too vigourous on the shoulder area which is a shame but if needed I just lower my shoulders to hit the right spot. It's the same with the lower back too just adjust the seat to hit the spot you want.

It has two modes: shiatsu massage & a roller type mode that travels up and down the back. It also has a vibrating seat cushion which can be used with one of the modes of massage or on it's own. I don't care much for the vibrating mode in the seat but I think it would be good to boost circulation. I usually start with the roller massager to loosen up a bit and line up my spine and then go on to the shiatsu mode.

A few tips: It has a strong massage action ...so you may want to soften it with a towel or something. The more you lean back in to it the stronger it feels.... good for those bad days. Also make sure you have it set up correctly inline with your spine. Another good tip is to leave it set up permanently on a chair so that when you feel you need it you can go and visit your own personal masseur. I have been known to use it for short bursts of 10 mins 3 or 4 times a day.

Just to let you know, I have never written a review before on any item I have purchased before.... but felt compelled to write one on this massager. I wanted to give an honest and hopefully helpful review. It better keep up its good work ...lol or I will post back!!! I have been using it daily for 2 months now ...so have given it a good test run.

The massager is on the expensive side but in my opinion it's worth it. I would recommend you shop around to get a good price ...that's what I did.

My sisters head straight for my massager when they come to visit...I should start charging ...lol

Hope you found this helpful. By the way, I don't work for the company...and if it didn't work well I would have not hesitated to say so.

If or when you get one ...enjoy!

Just to update this review : It's 6 months later and I'm still using it daily ....wouldn't be without it !!!
22 Comments| 296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2007
Had it for 2 weeks now and it's incredible.
I suffer from (or, should I say, used to suffer from) lower back pain which I can only describe as being due to tight / stiff muscles - any incorrect bending or even sitting on a low sofa would result in the muscles feeling as if they had seized up.
3 sessions per day of 5 - 10 minutes each on this superb massager (shiatsu setting) totally sorts out my back. I suspect I will need to use it daily from now on, but that's a small price to pay, believe me! If you're thinking of getting a Homedics massager then think carefully whether you need the massager to concentrate on one particular area or not. If, like me, you do then definitely go for the SBM-300 because you can have a spot massage with it. If not, then you may want to consider the SBM-200.
11 Comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 June 2007

This model states that you can keep the massager in the exact position you want and it does exactly that!!! It's brilliant at getting those knots out and really works. It's not too vigorous on the shoulder area which is a shame but if needed I just lower my shoulders to hit the right spot. It's the same with the lower back too just adjust the seat to hit the spot you want.

If or when you get one ...enjoy!

on 14 July 2008
HoMedics Shiatsu Plus Massager(SBM-300)

THE IMAGE BESIDE THIS REVIEW IS INCORRECT!!

I have just had this delivered to my place of work. (Ordered Sunday evening - arrived Monday lunchtime. How's that for service?)My work requires me to sit for long periods at a desk, using a PC, writing reports etc. I suffer from a low back problem for which I have had treatment for years. I am now experiencing shoulder problems so when I came across this product on display in a shop I had a go. It was difficult to be parted from the massager as it was so good on all my aching, tense muscles. Now I have it at work - fantastic. It is so effective I cannot speak highly enough of it. The shiatsu massage is more effective for me than the 'rolling' option. The vibration is subtle and has the effect of relaxing me. I am in danger of being so chilled out by this appliance that I may not want to go home!
If you have an aching back/shoulders you will love this - you will wonder how you ever did without it.
on 1 May 2009
HoMedics SBM-300H-3GB Shiatsu+ Massager with heat

I had tried out a similar model in John Lewis and couldn't decide between the one with the neck/shoulder option or not, but decided to go for this model because it was cheaper and because of the good reviews from previous customers. The chair arrived incredibly quickly but my chair had NO heat option and I immediately wrote to the suppliers (as we were going away on holiday and I wanted to notify them quickly) and have yet (3 weeks+) to hear anything back. I am hoping to be able to swap it for one with heat, but be warned, you might not get what the Amazon site suggests. This needs following through both with amazon and HoMedics. 'Buyer beware' seems appropriate here. Good luck! and it is a good massage chair.
on 22 April 2009
Its really a amazing Product, and does exactly what it says.

I saw some bad reviews about this product that it does not come with heating. But, I got it with heating. Please note that whey they say heat, it will be soothing heat not the kind of heat that we get from heaters. This mild heat is more than enough for massage.

I usually used to have back pain after coming from work or Gym, but now its all gone. I use it daily, and I have installed it to my computer chair. It is very easy to install and operate.

Don't have a second thought to buy this product. I am using it from past one month without any issue, and I am enjoying it.

And also thanks to Amazon for their excellent service.
on 27 March 2009
We ordered this massage cushion as both of us have a tendency to back problems and wanted something more than a simple rolling massage. The cushion was delivered promptly but wouldn't work. I phoned Amazon who were really helpful and arranged a replacement, which arrived next day. It was absolutely fantastic. Very firm massage on tne shiatsu setting, but that was what we wanted. Sadly, after about two weeks it stopped working - exactly the same problem as the previous one. The manufacturer says they are unaware of any problems with this batch, and with a 2-year guarantee you would expect it be pretty reliable, so I don't know what has gone wrong. We have accepted a refund from Amazon and are now wondering what to do. When it worked it was absolutely fantastic.
22 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2009
I purchased the Homedics 300H (see my bill), the model with heat and I got the 300 HOMEDICS without heat. It is a deception!
on 30 October 2007
I am a beauty therapist and I know what a good massage is . The only problem is you can't give yourself one ? I haven't bought this massager but I have tryed it in a dept store and it's just brillant and I'm going to buy this for my christmas as I do suffer from bad back.
on 12 October 2009
I bought this chair a year and half ago after reading many reviews - it promised to tick all the boxes for me - and it did! I used it very regularly (on average at least once a day) and loved it. It does give a great massage, both rolling and shiatsu, allows you to concentrate on particular areas and gets deep into the muscle - everything I wanted and needed.
Beware however, as there is a very clear design fault in the product - the plastic spine each side of which the rollers move up and down is made of pretty thin plastic as its design to bend and give when you lean back on it - problem is this eventually breaks (mine did justrecently) rendering the whole device completely useless! The spine is also part of the moulded framework within which the whole motor and roller mechanism sits so there isn't even any way of effectively replacing once broken - I had to just dump mine after fruitlessly trying to come up with a fix. This was a real shame as everything else was working perfectly....and moving parts all seemed to be capable of many years to come. For funcionality, I'd give it at least 4, for reliability and design, a big fat 0!

p.s. just wanted to add in case anyone wondering I'm of pretty averagae weight and build - so that was not a factor in the issue I experienced with this product.