Customer reviews

Quit Dreaming (And Get On The Beam)
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 April 2017
Great, the Nelson brothers with Red Noise sound without being Red Noise!!!!!
on 20 January 2006
A final re-release for this classic album of it's time from one of Britain's unsung heroes, Bill Nelson. The album 'pops & fizzes' with the brisk energy of an artist with the aural equivalent of an uncontrollable itch! The angular rhythms and brash synthetics cross-weave through the most engaging songwriting - it's nearest match being XTC's 'Drums And Wires'.
'Quit Dreaming...' will open the ears to an artist deserving much more recognition!
on 8 May 2007
Containing one of the best songs ever written in "Do You Dream In Colour" (one of the best videos ever too) and other delights such as "Living In My Limousine","Decline And Fall" and the mighty "Banal",this album is a treasure trove of joy.The extras are just as good,"White Sound" could have been a single and "Rooms With Brittle Views" was! Every track a winner, it's fizzing good fun from start to finish. From here Bill raised the bar even higher,but that's another story....

Quit Dreaming And Buy It !
on 29 November 2005
Why has it taken so long for such a fantastic, influential, ground breaking, seminal work to make it onto cd ? The cocktail of different styles swept up in storm of electronic genius leaves other works from the early 80s looking decidedly dated. Not this LP - every song is strong and Do you dream in colour and Living in my limousine should have been classics. Bill Nelson is an underrated genius and you will not be disappointed if you buy this.
Epic !
on 22 October 2013
Amazing! Here I am, 75 years old, a music lover and never heard of Bill Nelson! Well I have now and will be making up for lost time. Great quirky music, superb playing !
on 11 January 2011
Bill Nelson is one of the unsung British influences on Modern Music. I was a huge Be Bop Deluxe fan as a lad and whilst I have a few of his extensive back catalogue, these fill in some of the gaps in my collection. Anyone interested in something more than the usual pop/chart music should take a listen. He is as he has always been, a master of his craft and one of my heroes.
on 23 July 2014
I agree with everybody else that this a class piece of work. I have the original vinyl copy of this album and mine came with a free album called "Sounding The Ritual Echo (Atmospheres for Dreaming) which was recorded on either broken or faulty recorders. The disc has 15 tracks of weirdness that takes a bit of hard listening but even so Bill Nelson heart and humanity shine through. It's worth checking out for completists.
on 14 March 2011
Just a short comment from me. The music on this CD is a five. Everything from the original album tracks to the bonus material really is top-notch Bill Nelson from his guitar hero days. This album should have been the second Red Noise record (other than a label disagreement) and as such it would have been worthy (though it's not quite as good as Sound on Sound).

It is also a pleasure to see Do You Dream in Colour returned to the track order. I bought the original CD release of this one, and it had been left off for some inexplicable reason.

Okay - so why only 3 stars then? I mean, the music is good, the booklet is good - with a nice long article including quotes from Bill himself. There are extra songs that fit the mood of the CD, what could go wrong?

I'll tell you - this CD sounds really really WEEDY. Since they claim it's been "digitally remastered" I was expecting something over that original CD release - but no. There is virtually no bass on this CD. The original CD sounded a little weedy too, so perhaps it was a problem with the original masters - maybe Bill didn't want a bass to be heard. I don't know - but whatever the reason, it spoil an otherwise great disc.

Listening to this I'd liken it to a great party, where the people are having a good time, the booze is flowing, and the dancing has started - only to have flourescent lighting switched on half way through. Everything is bleeched out and screechy.

No-one else has mentioned this, which is a surprise. I have over 2000 music CD's, so I'm confident it isn't my setup. Pity.
on 12 June 2016
I have liked Bill Nelson for many years when he was part of Be Bop Deluxe. I had this CD on vinyl and this purchase was to allow me to have a better quality version.
Not in the Be Bop Deluxe vane and took some getting used to when I bought it but it is an excellent CD and shows Bill Nelson is a brilliant musician no matter what he creates or performs.
on 23 May 2015
superb and fantastic reproduction delivery as always on time and well packaged