Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 18 March 2009
The film Pressure will touch and reach those who have lived this kind of existence as I did. Though one or two of the performances fell too heavily into caricature and stereotype, overall the characters delivered realistic, gritty performances that evoked a moody tension that were seductive and charming. This film is important because there are not many more like it in existence (if any). I am a fashion designer, amateur writer and photographer. I sourced this film for research purposes above all, though, I am a world cinema enthusiast. I was more than satisfied to view this film for the aesthetic properties relating to social and cultural studies, however, had I not had this interest, the film would have lost some of its significance and value as the narrative I found a little too simplistically handled. The scenes were shot beautifully, not suffering from a modest budget; in fact this may have added some quasi-documentary quality that characterized the films appearance.

Nigger, well this just blew my mind. It was the first time I saw Baldwin or Gregory speak. I found this film fascinating and inspirational.
on 26 March 2015
Pressure is an excellent film which is still so pertinent in many ways – it shows the daily prejudice faced by Tony (Herbert Norville) as he tries to navigate his way through life – a kid caught in the middle, at odds with his family, white schoolmates and new black friends. It is a relevant depiction of racism and general politicisation in 1970s Britain, although at times the action – in regard to Tony does seem compressed and everything bad that can happen to him does so. I also love the style of the movie and the sense of immediacy that comes from the crowd scenes and the way in which passers by look into the camera - adding an extra dimension of realism and grittiness to the film. For me it is only slightly marred by a sudden change in pace near the end when it goes off into an uncharacteristic dream sequence – but overall Pressure is a very impressive film. The DVD extras include a short film also directed by Horace Ove as well as an interview with him, both of which are definitely a worthwhile watch.
on 16 January 2015
Good film but rather dated now
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2014
I chose this rating because I thought Pressure was a very good film. Very relevant to the black British experience of the 1970's, but something the young black people of Britain can relate to today. I will definitely recommend to others.
on 18 September 2016
ok movie not the best I ve seen
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 December 2014
Good product
this was a outsatanding film i have passed this on to my professor for review.