Customer reviews

on 23 August 2007
I can't stop listening to this opera! It's a fabulous piece of entertainment, made even better by the fact the cast had just performed it on stage so could in effect imbue the recording with all the vocal acting needed. With an almost-entirely native French cast, the dialogue becomes a lot more lifelike than you often find in these cases, in fact it becomes quite enjoyable to listen to.

The music is truly infectious. There are just too many numbers that I can think of off the top of my head that are worth mentioning, I may as well say the entire opera. It's what you'd expect from Offenbach, a lot of galloping around and gaite from Second Empire France, with one or two sentimental moments added for balance. With music this good the somewhat farcical story is to a degree irrelevant. Indeed, I've been a fan of this opera since I first bought it in April, and I didn't know the actual story until I thought to read the booklet notes last weekend.

The opera may not be as well known as Orphee aux enfers, Les Contes d'Hoffmann, or even La belle Helene, but it certainly should be! I'm left wondering now if Minkowski will progress further into Offenbachiana and deliver yet another aural treat before long. Until then, there's the DVD of this to watch...