on 25 July 2017
One of the best British gangster films ever made originally for TV but deemed too violent at the time ( 1979). Bob Hoskins has never been better as Harold Shand the kingpin of an East end firm who is about to do business with the Americans. However things start to go wrong when one of Harold's men foolishly helps himself to some money and the IRA get involved. Cars and buildings get blown up as Harold's empire begins to crumble and he loses his grip on his manor. Great supporting cast including Helen Mirren and Derek Thompson ( casualty's Charlie Fairhead ), extremely violent in parts and very funny in others with some unbelievable dialogue, especially from Hoskins. This is one top movie , if you haven't already seem it what are you waiting for!!.
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 29 November 2015
I'll not elaborate on the plot, as many have provided comprehensive detail here, but will restrict my comments to the quality, picture & audio wise, of the LGF steelbook release.
The picture clarity is absolutely wonderful; with just the right amount of sharpness and grain, to give the impression of a really sympathetic restoration. Colour saturation is also very good, although ( and I for one am grateful ) you don't get the sort of over-the-top depth that make the images almost shimmer. The colour balance for me is excellent, and gives great contrast to all the grimy cityscapes showcased in the film.
Audio, likewise, is nice and clear, with a good dynamic range, although my tv is woefully under-endowed in the speaker department when it comes to making judgments about nuances of sound reproduction, etc. Other, more informed reviewers, have highlighted quality here, and almost all seem to have been well satisfied.

I'm sure some will look at this steelbook, and think I'm being overly effusive in my praise, while almost certainly pointing out various flaws and technical issues, but for me its real strength, on both Blu Ray & DVD, is the fact that this release is so massively superior to anything that has come before. Earlier editions, in both formats, have been largely awful, and this really is something of a revelation in the proficiency of restoration, and sympathetic handling of source material. If you're a fan of this superb 80's gangster flick then this is an essential purchase, as there is nothing commercially available that comes close to bettering this offering from the good people at Arrowfilms.
One person found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 25 March 2017
Bright this film as I saw it with a friend. I will always like to watch it again as it is such a great British film that I feel you will never see the likes again.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 June 2017
It's old now but it shows a time when the villains had character not like lock stock type film although hatchet Harry is in it the film is a bit dated but if you like get Carter sort of films it's worth a go
on 22 June 2017
I film that I saw when very young and I still think that it is one of the best gangster films ever made and Bob Hoskins is excellent.
on 20 February 2015
Beautifully crafted yet simple tale that I thoroughly enjoyed. Not seen for a very long time, one of those classic British gangster movies that deserves more attention. Similar to Get Carter, it leaves you in suspense all the way, not knowing how it will turn out. Vignettes of style and class. Sadly my copy does not have subtitles, so my Polish partner needed fast translation to keep up with the story. Also IRA not a familiar topic to her. Anyway, she enjoyed what she could get from it and wants to see it again. It was the one time she liked Pierce Brosnan's acting. Classic and classy film.
One person found this helpful
on 17 January 2015
An excellent British Classic. Harold shand is taking his criminal empire into property Development and plans to make a fortune in London in the 1980s. He has foreign investors coming in to spend easter with his firm, but things do not go as planned. Harolds men start turning up dead all over the East End, his business premises and car are blown up. Somebody is out to get him but who or why? Harold has to fix things quickly while keeping his American investors happy and ignorant of the situation. It soon turns out that Harold is in deeper trouble than he thought possible.
on 23 March 2017
Now the first ever gangster film I ever saw has a pukka cover,luvly price of kit!
on 31 August 2015
My two favourite films? The Godfather and The Long Good Friday - both are superb but the LGF shows exactly what we can do on much smaller budgets. The storyline bowls you along as does the wonderful music, the acting is superb - Hoskins deserved an Oscar - and the use of "faces" from the East End is a brilliant touch. Mirren is the perfect foil for Harold's East End gangster seeking to make good.
I could go on for pages I just wonder what would have happened if the film had not upset the establishment so much leading to its panning by the critics? It is a fine, wonderful memorial to the late,great Bob Hoskins who died this year - a great loss to British films.
I've watched it many many times and I still get the same adrenalin rush as I hear the wonderful tItle music.

Rest in peace Bob.
on 12 June 2017
Gripping and violent lol. Great acting. Thoroughly recommend it.