on 21 March 2017
How had I never seen this movie before? Even though you would assume this to be more of a teenage movie I loved every second of it - I could easily relate to at least one of the characters from when I was that age. The cast are spot on and play their roles perfectly and when I heard that some key scenes were improvised I was even more impressed. I love the overall message - that people are more than their stereotypes and differences should be embraced - not shunned
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 July 2015
This 30th Anniversary Edition boasts of a brand new fully restored HD Master.

Special Features:-
NEW Accepting the Facts: The Breakfast Club Trivia Track
Sincerely Yours: A 12 part documentary (480i; 51:25)
The Most Convenient Definitions: The Origins of the Brat Pack (480i; 5:30)
Theatrical Trailer (480i; 1:25)
Feature Commentary with actors Judd Nelson and Anthony Michael Hall

There is also a Digital HD Ultraviolet download.

The picture quality seems very good as is the sound.

I paid £6.40 for my copy.
on 20 November 2015
Very good film from the mid-1980s that has scarcely dated. Most people who have been teenagers at school, whatever their age now, will recognise some things in it.

It is obvious from the first few seconds, when the screen is filled with a slightly pretentious quotation from David Bowie written on a purple background, which suddenly shatters into shards of coloured glass to reveal the building where the action is to take place, that this is something different, although it may only be 10 or 15 minutes into the film before you really begin to 'get' it.

Details of the plot or whether this film fits into a genre are less important as a guide to whether you would like it than the fact that it is really well done.

This film is about a Saturday morning and afternoon in the life of a group of American High School students, who normally hang out with different cliques in their school. They start with little in common other than that they all have to spend the day in detention as punishment for some misdemeanour or other. There is a boy who sets out to annoy everyone, a fashionable girl with wealthy parents, a school sports star, a strange girl who does not normally talk to people, and a science nerd who acted out of character to be put in detention. By the end of the afternoon, when they are released, despite their differences, there is a solidarity between them all, and a couple of romances have started. However, it is left open as to whether the adolescent pressure to conform to their respective social sets will allow them to remain unlikely friends.

For me, the ginger-haired actress Molly Ringwald and dark-haired, black-clad actress Ally Sheedy are particularly interesting, but all the young actors are good.

While mostly trying to be quite realistic, in a couple of places the film frees itself to be fantastical, especially when the characters spontaneously burst into a wonderful choreographed dance. I especially love to see Molly Ringwald’s dancing, even though the style is more conventional than some of the others. At another point when the students, sneaking out of the detention room while the teacher is away, dodge behind a corner, they move like cartoon characters.

Some lines and dramatic moments are really good in the context although it is hard to explain why out of context, like when one of the girls suddenly kisses one of the boys, he asks her why and she replies “Because I knew you wouldn’t”; or when she helps an odd seeming girl to groom herself to look more normal and better presented, and when the girl asks why, she replies “Because you’re letting me”.

The ending is not outwardly dramatic. Basically the teenagers say good bye and set off home or are collected by their parents. However, in a way that is hard to explain and perhaps has to be experienced, it still manages to be uplifting, and leaves the viewer feeling that both they and the characters have experienced something important.

I cannot say if the rock anthem ‘Don’t You’ performed by Simple Minds over the last frame and credits is a great song on its own merits, as I shall always associate it so closely with the emotions created by this film that I cannot separate the two, but it is great here.

The ensemble of young actors at the heart of this film have all had long subsequent careers although, sadly, rarely again such success.

Some of them, sometimes with the same Writer/Director John Hughes (who died in 2010) worked together in other 1980s films, but most people seem to agree that ‘The Breakfast Club’ is by far the best.

Molly Ringwald has since also had a career as a jazz singer (not my kind of music, but probably would appeal a lot to those who like jazz-style singing). She subsequently lived in France for several years where she appeared in several French films (if anyone who reads this has seen any of them, please leave a comment as to what they are like and any you recommend?).

‘Ally’ (Alexandra) Sheedy had already achieved fame at the age of 12 writing a children’s book, ‘She was Nice to Mice’, a best-seller in the USA, about a mouse at the court of Queen Elizabeth I of England. Despite these early peaks, and occasional well-reviewed, but not always widely seen, film performances in later years, her career and life have apparently brought her quite a few disappointments since.

I do not know how the cast really feel now when people still want to talk about ‘The Breakfast Club’, rather than what they have done in the 30 years since, but thanks to all of them for making this wonderful film anyway.
on 24 June 2016
This and many of the Brat Pack films were favourites of mine when I was young. I have introduced my teenage daughter to a lot of the films from this era which she has loved but I didn't have a copy of this film on DVD and so she asked if I would order a copy so she could watch it. She enjoyed it as much as the other films from this era. In my eyes, this is a classic.
on 19 September 2012
What can I say? This is an absolute triumph!

The Breakfast Club is a film that bravely and exquisitely juxtaposes pressing emotional, sexual, political and socio-economical issues while retaining a tongue-in-cheek comic relief that effortlessly flips between a dark, worldly sense of sardonicism and a delightfully innocent sense sarcastic fun. It successfully adopts a gritty, honest approach to delivering both searingly moving and satisfyingly hilarious scenes.

We, the audience gain privileged fly-on-the-wall access to five excellently conceived characters; teenaged outsiders, each with starkly contrasting family backgrounds and outlooks on life. The seemingly disparate characters are brought together through forced association in the confines of school detention and progressively begin to unravel their inward confusion and frustrations together.

The characters essentially battle and conquer the last hurdle of 'growing up' in which, based on increasingly successful interaction with each other, they make important changes and new decisions. They gain a sense of psychological peace and positive direction through their emancipation from their different, but equally destructive former coping mechanisms and outlooks.

This deeply engaging warm, hilarious and affecting film affirms life and friendship and is the perfect antidote to Lord of the Flies. Importantly, Judd Nelson's phenomenal portrayal of John Bender timelessly (and ironically, in that it is a classically '80's film) epitomises the otherwise perpetually elusive essence of 'cool'.

By the way, I've deliberately given you an account of why I think this film deserves such outstanding reviews and avoided the use of 'spoilers' in terms of direct plot summary.
on 24 December 2016
Brilliant. A must watch for all . . . regardless of age, gender and social standing . . . . Highly amusing whilst being clever and moralistic . . . . A classic illustration of cultural behaviour with a perfect back drop and talented young actors . . . .
on 2 June 2014
Being a 90's kid I love old movies with the raw feel it shows how people who live different lives can be the same in many ways it's emotional and crazy but you'll love it. I often find myself searching for older movies like this as the acting is raw and coming of age movies feel more real than the ones you get today. It's classic and timeless and I will definitely be making my kids watch this (When I have them)
I would recommend you watch this.
After twenty or so years since last watching this film, I forgot just how slight it is. The film's main strength is its casting - Judd Nelson's perma-flared nostrils aside, the young cast bounce off one another nicely, as they gradually unite to thwart the oppression of sadistic teachers, judgemental peers and their own prejudices. To be honest I'd always remembered more focus on the battle between Nelson's streetwise bully and Paul Gleason's antagonistic teacher; in reality this is fleeting, but there is plenty of nostalgic fascination to be had in watching the likes of Emilio Estevez (playing against type as a wholesome 'Jock'), Ally Sheedy and Molly Ringwald in early starring roles.
on 27 July 2017
It's the breakfast club, what can I say another fantastic movie from my childhood which transcends through the decades to my kids who love it and can relate to it aswell
on 22 December 2015
Bought for my husband - he loved this film. It was good watching it again after all of these years. We watched with our 14 and 16 year olds who seemed to enjoy it and had seen various references to Breakfast Club in other programmes. It didn't feel like it had aged too much