Living A Dream
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 October 2017
This beautiful CD offered at the price it was by this merchant represented excellent value
on 20 November 2017
What’s not to like? Beautiful lady and beautiful voice; enough for leaky eyes. Wonderful.
on 17 December 2017
Interesting.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 12 February 2016
Katherine Jenkins (born 29 June 1980) is a Welsh mezzo-soprano. She is a classical-popular crossover singer, who performs across a spectrum of operatic arias, popular songs, musical theatre and hymns. So far, she has released 8 albums, starting with Premiere in 2004 to the most recent Daydream in 2011.

Living a Dream is her third album release (2005). There are 16 songs in this set. The most notable one is her rendition of I Will Always Love You in Italian (L’Amore Sei Tu). With Whitney Houston’s recent passing, her rendition of the song really struck a sensitive note in my heart: a very sad and moving song. But of course, nothing can compare to Whitney’s version, which is always tops in my heart. Dolly Parton’s original version was also very good.

After Living a Dream was released, uniquely, Katherine Jenkins held the top three positions in the classical crossover music chart. The album held the number one position for nearly a year and reached number four in the pop album charts. She repeated the success of Second Nature with her Living a Dream album when she won the classical BRIT award for Album of the Year for a second time. Fantastic feat!

There are many beautiful songs in this set, like One Fine Day (Un Bel di), Music Of The Night, Nessum dorma, Cinema Paradiso (Se), Amazing Grace, Over The Rainbow, Torna a Surriento and Vera Lynn’s We’ll Meet Again. All the songs are beautifully remastered with clarity and vibrancy. Katherine’s voice really stands out.

Of course, the booklet was also outstanding with all the lyrics and gorgeous pictures. The sad part was in the last page: Win a weekend in Wales and Meet Katherine. The prize was for 2 people, including lunch with Katherine as well as 2 night’s accommodation in the Cawdor Hotel, Wales. The question is of course super easy: Where was Katherine Jenkins born? A) Australia, B) Wales, and C) Spain. The sad part is that the contest closed January 5 2006! Much too late for this Katherine’s admirer!

I started listening to Katherine Jenkins seriously only after I have watched her concert at O2 Arena: Believe Tour on blu ray (my review of that concert is found elsewhere). She was a gorgeous, talented and great singer/performer. She is more well known in UK than North America. Being a completist, I started collecting all her albums and found them all very enjoyable and the sound well remastered. She really reminds me of a very young Sarah Brightman.

Her albums on Decca are: 1) Premiere (2004) 2) Second Nature (2004) 3) Living A Dream (2005) 4) Serenade (2006) 5) Rejoice (2007) 6) Sacred Arias (2008) 7) Ultimate Collection (2009) and 8) One Fine Day (2011). Her albums on Warner are: 1) Believe (2009) and 2) Daydream (2011).

If you have a chance, buy and watch her DVD or blu ray concert. She is even better on stage. The above disc is highly recommended.
on 30 August 2005
Having recently caught Katherine performing live I was treated to some of the fabulous tracks from her new album - which by the sound of it will be breathtakingly brilliant. Following on from her previous albums Katherine has picked a fantastic choice of songs, all of which suit her style beautifully. 'Nessun Dorma' whilst familiar to millions, sounds fresh and richly enthralling. A simple yet effective version of 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' shows yet again what a great song this is, but the most interesting version of an old song on 'Living A Dream' has to be 'Ti Amero Per Sempre (I Will Always Love You)' - a track which was originally written by Dolly Parton and subsequently made famous by Whitney Houston. Katherine gives this song a whole new feel - sung in Italian this beautiful, soaring melody already feels like an old classic, with Katherine's untouchable voice used to its full effect. 'We'll Meet Again' and 'Amazing Grace' both sounded really impressive live and seem to fit in perfectly to the overall feel of the album.
After the enormous success of Premiere and Second Nature it is perhaps hard to believe, but it seems that Katherine Jenkins has surpassed her previous efforts and created her greatest album yet.
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 3 November 2005
I've listened to this CD over and over and the voice is beautiful. Clear, precise, and interesting. I do worry, however, that the range of tracks here must have some effect on her voice over time but that range is impressive. A wide selection of songs/arias, too wide? I found the 'standards' seemingly out of place although, again, beautifully sung. Now to the operatic arias. Nessun dorma by a mezzo! Very enjoyable and very different. The 'female' arias sounded delightful but I couldnt help but feel that it wasnt Cio Cio San, Wally, or Dalila who were singing but Katherine Jenkins. I would recommend this CD to anyone interested in the female voice. It exceeds Katherine's previous efforts and I, for one, would die for her rendition of 'Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix' even it it isnt Dalila singing. I had to give this 4 stars becasue there are no threequarters! Definitely recommended. Incidentally, get the special addition. 'Don't Cry for me Argentina' is superb!
on 8 November 2005
For Katherine Jenkins' third album in as many years very little has been left to chance. The 16 songs here, a mixture of popular operatic, sacred and show tunes, with just the one traditional Welsh number this time, would feature well up in everybody's list of favourite melodies. Slight liberties, if that's the right word, are taken with just three of them - the translation into Italian of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" (at last sung by someone with a voice capable of doing it full justice, with all due respect to DP!), the translation the other way into English of Puccini's "One Fine Day" (so that for many of us we at last get to understand what it's all about) and the unfamiliar tune and arrangement by John Rutter of the popular children's hymn "All Things Bright And Beautiful".
In case there is still anyone out there who has not yet come across Katherine's work, let me say that she has a wonderful singing voice, a golden mezzo-soprano, her diction is almost perfect so that you can hear every word, even if you don't understand them, and there is very little noticeable vibrato. A feature of the last album was the slightly idiosyncratic arrangement of some of the songs to fit her range - on this album the arrangements are more straightforward, in some places requiring her to hit some pretty high notes, which she does, perfectly.
The orchestral and choral backings and arrangements are, as before, quite unobtrusive and laid back - although there is reference in the sleevenotes to additional keyboards and programming nothing has been spoiled. However, what it all, including Katherine's vocals, lacks is any excitement or real passion. It is easy, undemanding listening par excellence, and if you enjoyed her first two albums on that level (as did I) you'll enjoy this one as well.
on 27 December 2005
Living a dream is a very fine album from this now well established singer; a good balance of traditional, and re shaped classics. I particularly enjoyed "Music of the Night" and her new version of the Dolly Parton and Whitney Houston hit I will always love you which sounds beautiful in Italian. I was surprised to see Nessun Dorma on her disk, however her performance is unique and brings a different quality - in my personal opinion having heard so many versions out there already, Katherine's would rank in the top 3 behind Pavarotti and the new talent of Jon Christos on whose album sings this fantastically.
My only slight nag about this album is compared to Second Nature and Premiere, her voice doesn't quite sound as clear which occasionally blurs her diction; I'm no expert but this mainly happens at the top end of the voice. I realise they are different singers but this does not happen to either Keedie, or Hayley Westenra whose voice always sound so effortless throughout her range. I only hope this isn't a sign of a fabulous singer overstretching herself, doing too much too soon. Despite this, Living a Dream is a very good album indeed with songs of different colour, style, emotion - an album to take you on a journey and one I would recommend to anyone.
11 Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 100 REVIEWERon 7 November 2005
Katherine is an opera singer whose fan base includes many who do not normally listen to opera, or who (like me) listen just occasionally. She can sometimes be seen performing at events dominated by pop and rock acts, with the result that her albums sell in huge quantities (at least in the UK) and outsell many (but not all) of those pop and rock stars.
A look at the track listing on this and Katherine’s earlier albums shows that she likes to mix classical pieces with popular songs drawn from a variety of sources. As such, I’m not sure that true opera fans will like Katherine’s music (although some might) but those fans can console themselves with the thought that some of the true opera fans of the future may have discovered opera because of Katherine. So my review is mainly directed at fans who (like me) know very little about opera but who might be tempted to give this album a listen. As such, I’ll focus on the familiar songs.
Katherine begins by singing an Italian translation of I will always love you, the Dolly Parton song that became an international number one hit for Whitney Houston. As a huge Dolly fan, I was curious to find out how this sounded and it’s the reason I decided to buy this album. Of course, Katherine’s version is very different from Dolly’s or Whitney’s versions but I was very impressed.
I vow to thee my country (track 2) can be interpreted as either a patriotic song or a gospel song. To those who are wary of patriotic songs, be reassured that this particular song has no cultural references – whatever your country is, you should be able to relate to this song.
Music of the night (track 5) is an Andrew Lloyd Webber song that Katherine sings superbly.
Nessun Dorma (track 6) became famous in the UK when the BBC used Pavarotti’s version as the theme for TV coverage of a major sporting event (the World Cup). Katherine refreshes this fine song, which became a UK #2 hit for Pavarotti following its use as a TV theme.
Amazing grace (track 9) is outstanding – this is my favourite on the album. It’s not my absolute favorite rendition of this song but I’ve heard (and loved) many versions and Katherine would certainly get in my top five.
All things bright and beautiful (track 11) is a song that I became very familiar with at school but had never heard subsequently until I heard it here. Well, it certainly never sounded anything like this good at school.
Over the rainbow (track 13) will forever be associated with Judy Garland but Katherine proves that the song adapts well to an operatic interpretation. Like Amazing grace, this is among the best renditions I’ve heard of this song.
We’ll meet again (track 16) is another inspired choice as Katherine revives the Vera Lynn anthem superbly.
There is a deluxe version of this album that includes two extra tracks and some other stuff. One of the extra tracks is Don’t cry for me Argentina. I’d like to hear this but I’m satisfied with the standard edition. You must decide for yourself whether you want to pay the higher price or settle for the standard version. Whichever version you buy, this is a hugely entertaining album if you like this kind of music, even just a little.
on 4 April 2006
Speaking as someone who doesn't normally like nor listen to this kind of music, I find Katherine Jenkin's voice enchanting and the songs she sings very moving.
I'm no expert on what is considered good in this genre, but I know what moves me when listening to music, and a number of tracks on this album did just that.
Theres nothing more I can say on the matter really.