The Gruffalo [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 1 June 2014
Warning: If you have one of thoise mental jukeboxes that just fixates on a song and doesn't give it up easily, then you need to avoid this DVD like the plague! We saw the stage show and bought the CD for playing in the car and by the time we had got home we were all humming "GGGGruffaloooo." Within a day, we were all going about our daily business humming, singing or reciting songs from the show - and, more worryingly, waking up in the middle of the night with them still playing on a loop in our heads!

They didn't sell DVDs at the stage show - predictably I suppose - so I bought this for the little ones afterwards from Amazon. It continues to transfix them and was a bargain at the price. It isn't a cartoon, it's real people playing the parts of the animals and is very witty. If there's a Grufafalo-lover in your house this is a must-buy.

Just put earplugs in if you don't want people to give you funny looks at work!
HALL OF FAMETOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 August 2010
I have to admit to having a bit of a soft spot for this show. This was filmed at a play I took my then 3 year old son to - many years ago! Since then I have taken my two younger children to the same stage show, along with several outings to "The Gruffalo's Child". This DVD is the complete stage show, with songs and excellent characters. I think it must be the best adaptation of a children's book I have ever been to (and I've been to a few...). The Tall Stories Theatre Company are certainly the best of the bunch and this is their most successful show. I had to buy another copy of this DVD as the first one wore out, but it is a wonderful re-telling of the story. There is an audio version for the car if they like this.
on 14 January 2013
Is there any way better of spending an afternoon?

If you have seen the live play this is an excellant reminder of what you've seen. If you've only seen the animated version again you will not be dissappointed.
Excellant play that sticks close to the original story and is excellantly acted out by the 3 actors, all the songs add to the story perfectly and are easily picked up by any 3-4 year old.
If you can afford it get the book, DVD and CD as well for the full Gruffalo experience...but be warned the songs are addictive and if your child is anything like mine you will have a hard time getting this switched off.
One of the extras are a little weak (Gruffalo roar) but this is more than made up by the inclusion of the songs as an extra.
Would definitely reccommend this and other plays,cd's for the other Julia Doanaldson stories.
on 4 January 2010
I bought this DVD for my son's 2nd birthday but didn't play it until he was 2 1/2. I wish I'd put it on earlier. He loves it and, although I am not a pantomime sort of person, it has a charm that has captured me too. I will be buying this for other children as presents going forward and cannot rate it highly enough.

The tunes are catchy, the story telling works and the acting is very good. Go on, treat a child...and yourself!
on 1 March 2013
My children are Gruffalo mad and we went to see this live production. We were so excited to see it on DVD and it has not been off our TV since its arrival!! It is an extended version of the story with extended dialogue. I find that it really extends my children's imagination as a lot of the action is mime. My children take part in the audience participation from the sofa and they frequently sing the songs in the car!!! Contrary to a few reviews I think the main actress is great and her facial expression and actions are super!!!!!
on 10 December 2017
I Love this dvd
on 27 May 2015
This is an amazing dvd! Our children absolutely love it! So glad we found it on here to buy!
on 11 August 2013
Took 2 year old to see the gruffalos child at the theatre which she adored but is not yet available on dvd so thought i would try this one out on her. Well...she would watch it every day if she could and has lead to me buying the soundtrack on cd. Humourous acting and songs keep my little one glued and at just under an hour long gives me plenty of time to get on with things. Looking forward to the gruffalos child being released.
on 25 February 2017
Quick delivery, good quality little girl mad on the gruffalo this tells the story well.
on 10 December 2014
Perfect for my nephew after we'd been and seen the screen play