on 2 January 2006
The other week I sat out in the wind, looking over the sea with this album in my ears. And I can tell you it was amazing. The music may as well have been part of the scenery because it made it all look better.
I've read quite mixed reviews on this album. And as much as it sounds like classical, it isn't normal enough for a classical music listener. As much as it is atmosperic, it isn't trippy enough. As much as it is alternative, it isn't 'cool' enough for those listeners. But the randomness is one thing i love about it. Nature knows no rules, it doesn't answer to the physicist or the observer. So this music knows no rules, it goes where it wants to go, and you have the choice to take the journey or say this isn't how its meant to be, I'm getting da bomb instead.
I also read one review that listed 'Se Lest' as a weakness on this album. It is actually my favourite. Followed by Andvari and Saeglopur. Go out, get this album, treat yourself to something new, even if it takes a while to come to terms with. Thank me later :). Enjoy!
on 9 January 2016
Excellent
on 6 January 2015
Genius
on 9 June 2015
Great.
on 8 September 2005
Now, I love Sigur Rós, and I genuinely want to see them succeed and get their amazing music out to the masses. The previous 3 albums, remix project and random soundtracks and eps have all been some of the most interesting pop records of recent times. Yet If Takk, the band's fourth record, turned out to be completely crap...I would not hesitate to stomp on it in my size 10 doc martins... I don't want to see the band get lazy and churn out more of the same old same old. And believe me, I have been getting ready to perform this act of blasphemy after hearing the Glossóli download single...
The album starts off with the aforementioned song, after a brief intro, and...well... I will be honest and say it is increasingly growing on me. And I guess for this album, which will probably end up being their biggest selling and most widely known record, its a fine opener. It is impressive, but its nothing new. As the album progresses, its tinkly pianos and pounding drums and Jonsi's usual voice. And... its all very nice. If a bit bland. Live favorite Milano never really gripped me live and on record it isn't too great either. Saeglopur is certainly one of the stand out songs, along with Gong. Each one nothing entirely new, but it feels like a revert back to better times.
Sigur Rós of late seem to be getting very generic and formulaic. Many of the songs on Takk consist of piano tinklings and the smurf-like vocals used on Vaka. And, well..it is nice and it is pretty and it is different, but it is still the same as what they have done before. Something feels missing from the album. Agaetis Byrjún had such am amazing feel to it, a feel that was lost slightly with ( ) and demolished with Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do.
Two of the tracks also have two parts, both of which feel totally unecessary. Maybe if they had replaced these two with the live version of Hafssol the album would have been a different animal altogether.
I don't know, maybe Takk is just too proggy. Something seems to have gone amiss in the Sigur Rós camp, I don't want to hear the same old music, and Takk is a step away from ( ) but its not necessarily a step forward. This is not a bad album by any means, its just...maybe something more was expected from the band.
Still, I don't think I will be stomping on the cd... not just yet anyway.
on 11 May 2013
Must admit I love this up to a certain point but after a while it find it a little draining and depressing. Not my best buy
on 6 April 2013
Recommended this album by a friend and so glad I bought it.
Wonderful songs and a great all round album.
on 5 May 2006
I have to admit that the songs would be even better for me if they were in English and in tune, but the world isn't ready for anything more perfect than this album already is.
on 11 May 2007
Yes, it's great background music for an advert, or for lying back with your eyes closed, stoned out of your skull on <whatever>, but it isn't actually that great for just LISTENING TO. Put this on your ipod on the train and you'd probably go to sleep and miss your stop.

While that may be true of 'ambient' style music in general (thinking Enigma, Tangerine Dream, Mike Oldfield, Llewelyn, etc.) this particular album offers even less in the way of tunes / harmonies / lyrics than the norm.

It isn't BAD, it just isn't GREAT, as it is hyped up to be. If you're a SR fan then doubtless you'll love it; if you aren't then 'try before you buy'.
on 19 September 2005
So good you almost feel sick on it...Wow!!!