on 14 March 2005
I first saw this on the Sci - Fi channel on Sky, and i have loved it ever since. It's like a cross between Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing..... The comedy bits are really funny especially when the girls take part in a beauty contest. Strangely enough it seems that these japanese have a thing for high pitched singing and swimsuits. "SHE'S ONLY TWELVE!!" Wierd how they pick the strange ones. But i guess that makes it so unique. Its great value especially if you have a multi region DVD player... (IT's so easy with it!) Anyway... It's a great collection and i believe that getting this DVD collection is as good as most comedy collections... It's sweet, cute and fun. It the best!
on 23 March 2014
Akito, a troubled young man with military past,now working as a chef runs (literally) into Yurika, a girl he was best friends with as a child and now the captain of the private battleship Nadesico. Next thing he knows, he's a member of an oddball space crew off to save the Earth from alien invaders.

There is drama but this is generally a bright but ditsy high school/legally blond kind of girl running a space ship sort of thing while being utterly obsessed with Akito, as of course is the rest of the female crew. This competition somehow never gets in the way of what is a very serious mission though so you can just sit back and enjoy the silliness of it all.
on 30 September 2005
I've had this for around 2 years, as I ordered the american release back in October 2003.
The whole nadesico series is an action packed adventure from start to finish, mayhem, laughs, crys all sorts in just 26 episodes on 5 dvds.
The dvd transfer quality is excellent and audio in both languages is superb, the only downside I see is that ADV heavily used very poor overlays on the onscreen japanese text which does get annyoing overtime and is the only reason it dosn't get a full 5 stars.
The box itself is one huge jewel case which is unusual in itself but very novel.
Extras are minimal including a trailer and creditless opening close.
Alltogether a very nice package at a bargain price, no anime collection should be without it as it really is an amalgamation of so many genres whilst being a light hearted comedy at it's core.. (in one episode Nadeisco is watched on television by "real" people who describe it as a great anime)
Sheer genious, excellent replay value.. if your still reading this stop right now and buy it.
on 23 October 2006
Firstly, I love Nadesico. When I first got it I didn't know what to think. I had bought another anime at the time which I expected to be better partly because it was newer but wow, I think Nadesico beat it hands down. I admit I didn't like the music at first but it completely grew on me, now I cant think why I didn't like it, I love it! I was also taken back by the look of the animation but remember this anime was made in the 90s so we cant expect it to be as liquid looking as some of the new ones but the look completely grew on me too.

I was a little aprehensive when I started watching the first episode but by the end of it I was laughing my head off and still do(yes, I rewatch it, its better than your average value in a series ^^). Ruri's dead pan humour is one of the key things of the series humour along with Yurika's constant struggle of love for Akito of which she is highly enthusiastic and optimistic about in herself.

The story is also not some average rubbish thrown together; suprisingly its plot is realy quite good and each episode feels complete and satisfying, except that you already want to see the next episode. The science fiction part of it is very well done too; science fans wont feel cheated, there's plenty of mecha and information on the ship as you go along.
on 14 May 2006
I have loved this series since the very first time I saw it. It was voted best anime in '98 by the Japanese and I have no quarrel with that. Twenty-six episodes of light-hearted comedy generously mixed with romance and showing at times some of the most serious sides of war. People may be annoyed by the lack of extras but I have no problem with it, the series is far too good and the price is fantastic. Any person who proclaims that they love anime should hang their heads in shame should they not own this. It deserves pride of place in any collection. Well that may have sounded like a fan-boy rant but its how I think. You would have to have a heart of iron to not love every minute of this, great characters, great story, great show. Buy it now!