Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 March 2017
Odd.

I've been wanting this on vinyl for a while... but the price of an original issue is somewhat prohibitive... and there haven't been that many reissues, relatively speaking, so I opted for this one.

It is presented in a mono sleeve, and with mono labels, and although the first track is mono, the rest is stereo, and in a flip-back sleeve, which the original issue didn't have... and it wasn't issued in stereo originally either!

It also surprised me that it was one of a limited edition of 500 numbered copies.

But for all that, I t sounds great, and is getting repeated listens.

(Arrived pretty quick too, given I only opted for the standard delivery option... came the very next day)
on 28 May 2010
Having been into folk and traditional music for many years I had somehow avoided buying this 1964 album. Now it's out in 21st century sound quality - I've found out what I've been missing all these years. The songs are beautifully sung by Shirley Collins and Graham's guitar sounds as refreshing and as daring as it must have done at the time. English folk accompanied by jazzy sounds was unheard of then - it still works today.
on 17 August 2003
Not quite in the same league perhaps as some of her later work - particularly with her sister Dolly, but this is very fine disc all the same.
An unusual collaboration with blues guitarist Davy Graham - who also added a dash of 'The East'. Mainly traditional songs with Shirley singing and Davy on Guitar.
I particularly liked the versions of 'Nottamun Town' and 'Hares on the Mountain' - others will no doubt have other favourites.
Davy Graham 1940-2008, was a British Guitarist. He was an important figure in the British Folk Revival during the 1960s.
After a few recordings in the very early 1960s such as 3/4 AD (EP), From a London Hootenanny (EP), The Guitar Player (1963) and Folk blues and beyond, (1964) each displaying his distinctive style, he recorded this fantastic album Folk Roots, new routes from 1964.
This album is great because we have the unique guitar style of Davy Graham to compliment the vocal style of the wonderful Shirley Collins. Davy had pioneered the DADGAD (Open Dsus4) guitar tuning which he introduced to British guitarists in the early 1960s. Graham then went on to experiment playing traditional folk pieces in DADGAD tuning often-incorporating Middle Eastern scales and melodies. Open E and Open G tunings were in common use by blues players and Davy Graham developed a sort of Folk blues sound. Also the album is significantly original in its sound as a folk album. Thirteen of the sixteen tracks here are from traditional source. "Rif Mountain" is by Davy himself. "Blue Monk" is by Monk and "Grooveyard" is by Timmons. All pieces are arranged by Shirley Collins and Davy Graham.
"Lord Greggory" features just Shirley singing with no guitar from Davy.
Shirley was already a leading figure in folk music by the time of this album. She had been a folk song collector and performer since the 1950s. This album was a landmark album for her by fusing Traditional British Folk with a hint of Jazz/blues from the guitar work from Davy.
She continued to record British folk music both as a solo performer and with her sister Dolly.

This album is an interesting and now classic recording with a great selection of songs on the programme.
If you like traditional folk music and an acoustic sort of sound, then this album has something unique and different to offer. It is highly recommended.
on 21 July 2006
Without this album folk rock would never have happened. We would still be stood round singing with one finger in or ear and a pint resting on our beer bellies. If you only ever buy one folk albuum, make it this one
33 Comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2013
Don't know why it's taken me so long to get this CD - but now I have, I just wish I'd bought the original LP when it first came out!
on 19 July 2015
A seminal album. Superb.
on 25 June 2015
Excellent........
on 28 September 2010
Another reviewer said "supposing you only ever buy one folk album in your life, make sure it's this one".... Well, I followed this advice due to my interest in Davy Graham and this album now sits rather uncomfortably amongst my CD collection. What doesn't help is that I have never really understood what the term "Folk" actually means. But this album is a good showcase for the work of Davy Graham, and has provoked a lot of discussion. It's certainly a good "conversation piece" for guitarists.

Davy Graham is a phenomenal player, highly influential in many genres. My own musical tastes lie in Rock and Blues, so you should bear this in mind when reading my review.

This is a perplexing album and even at the time, it must have been controversial. Graham's playing is inventive and highly distinctive. Well recorded, too.

I wasn't listening to Folk music in 1964 so I don't know what the general standard of ability in UK folk music was, at that time. But I'm aware that Shirley Collins is a darling luvvie of the "Folk Establishment", whereas I am not "steeped in the Tradition"; -therefore I feel unable to comment on Ms. Collins' sense of pitch, empathy or even basic understanding of the songs being performed on the album.

If your interest in this album is mainly with Davy Graham's playing, may I suggest you acquaint yourself with Shirley Collins' work first, before committing yourself. But be reassured. This album was recorded using the "stereo" techniques of 1964, which means the separation between the channels is 100%. This means you can use the balance control on your stereo to accentuate the work of either performer- a feature I have found to be extremely useful.
on 8 March 2016