VINE VOICEon 27 September 2007
I already own a Velbon CX 530 tripod but I wanted a more compact one that would easily fit into a backpack or, if strapped on the outside, would not be gigantic and unwieldy. Having searched the web and looked at a variety of options, including Slik, Manfrotto and Giotto, I chose this one. I found several reviews from professional photographers who were impressed with its sturdiness and I also wanted one that would be under 45 cm folded and over 140 cm extended. It's a lot to ask for because common sense says that the smaller it is folded, the less it will be when extended, but Velbon have excelled themselves with their four-section trunnion leg system and a centre column which gives just under 43 cm folded and 158 cm extended. The feet of each leg have a rubber cup which can be screwed in to allow a spike to extend and the pan and tilt head is an absolute joy. It's reasonably lightweight (2.6 lbs - 1.2 kg) and looks great. Top marks to Velbon for this little beauty!
on 23 May 2008
I have just purchased this tripod and am extremely happy with it. My only two small reservations for not giving it a five star rating are the absence of an onboard spirit level and the fact that it is a little lightweight! I shoot DV of railway subjects and need a tripod which can pan slowly and without juddering. The pan action on this is absolutely wonderful. It is beautifully smooth. Given the fast moving nature of my subjects a tripod also needs to be capable of sitting on one spot without being blown away, hence my comment about the weight. However, for the money, this little beauty pretty much fits the bill perfectly. The build quality is absolutely superb and the fact that the tripod fits into less than eighteen inches when collapsed make it ideal for my needs. If you are looking for a tripod which will assist you to take the shots you want to take rather than putting up with the results of a cheaper alternative I heartily recommend this one. Well done Velbon!
on 29 May 2010
As an ex professional photographer, too many people underestimate "camera Shake"
look at any television programme or movie, if you have a camcorder you already know what I mean. Same with stills, either a flash to "freeze" the shot, very fast shutter speed to do the same. OR the biggest heaviest tripod you can carry.
Well this comes under the last catagory,for people travelling abroad in particular. It's a "compromise" size and weight,but has to be the best travelling tripod around.
Its strong well made and you can carry it all day without cursing. Then when you have that particular beautiful sunset, the perfect tool to get that PIN SHARP shot.
on 16 August 2010
my husband and i have just given up smoking and we bought a pair of binoculars as we want to take up bird watching and photography, we wanted a good tripod so we could get the most out of them we spent quite a while reading through all the different reviews and finally settled on this one, it was delivered very quickly. it is very compact when folded down and comes complete with its own carry bag it is light enough to be carried around without any problems. it was so easy to stand it up it took me a little bit longer getting used to what bits did what but then i have never used a tripod before, all in all it is an excellent product that is light enough to carry around and easy to stand up and collapse again well impressed glad i bought it now.
on 2 January 2010
Very good quality of product and very good store !! I can recommend this store for everyone !!!
on 18 December 2010
Bought this for use in one of our departments at work, bit disappointed when it arrived as i thought it would be fairly substantial....however if you're buying it as a suitcase tripod I'd say it would do the job nicely. Amazon-lover that I am, maybe tripods are best bought in a shop so you can really get a feel for what you're buying.
on 20 June 2014
Really light and easy to set up. I bought 2 (one for my brother).

There are two downsides tot his tripod:
- the QL plate attaches to the camera with a screw that needs to be re-tighten constantly.
- the click mechanism to attach the camera is a bit funny at times and I would recommending triple checking the camera is safely attached before getting your hands off it.

I would still recommend buying it, as it is good value for money; if you are aware of these two areas and take precautions, you should have no trouble.
on 14 November 2013
chose this tripod as it goes full height - which is usefull when doing interviews.
Not bad for its price... but not THAT smooth when doing tilt or pans....
on 8 November 2013
Basically a good product, let down by a poor quality bag with a short handle (it cannot be carried over your shoulder) and a rather awkward head plate system.
on 29 November 2013
It's compact and fits in my daypack, it's very sturdy and just works as I would expect. I can only recommend it!