Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£10.00+ £1.26 shipping

on 24 September 2005
It's been less than a year since I fell in love with Kate Rusby's music. I had read a positive review of her appearance at 2004's Sidmouth Folk Festival and decided to investigate her work. I was blown away by Underneath the Stars and sought out all her other albums, and despite loving artists like Status Quo and Black Sabbath have, through following Kate Rusby, discovered the whole genre of folk music. So it was with great anticipation I awaited this new album and I wasn't disappointed. As always the melodies and the story telling are beautiful, and that voice! I think Kate Rusby could probably sing a shopping list and make it sound breathtaking. Standout tracks for me are The Lark, Wandering Soul and Little Jack Frost and the more upbeat and bawdy Elfin Knight. I thoroughly recommend this album but for new fans I would say Underneath the Stars is an essential introduction to the different colours in her work.
on 2 September 2017
I wanted to like this more than I did actually like it.
on 31 July 2017
Brilliant
on 9 September 2005
As a disclaimer, I admit to being a bit of an unabashed Kate Rusby fanatic. That being said this is truly a beautiful record. What I love most about Kate's records are the fantastic arrangements. Kate and her core group of musicians (Ian Carr, John McCusker, Andy Cutting, Michael McGoldrick, Andy Seward, and Ewen Vernal) have created a sound that is instantly recognizable, while at the same time making subtle changes in instrumentation and voicing which keeps each record fresh and unique. Tenor guitar is featured throughout the record, in particular lending a delicate crystalline feel to the arrangement of "You Belong to Me". The subtle string arrangements on "Moonshadow" and "Little Jack Frost" create a peaceful hushed quality to both of the songs.
One of the highlights of the record is Kate's songwriting. "No Names" is a heartbreaking song about an elderly couple letting go, sung as a duet by Kate and Roddy Womble. "Little Jack Frost", which was written for an animated version of David Melling's book, is a truly magical song filled with hope which closes the record.
on 16 March 2006
This is a wonderful folk album. Kate Rusby's voice is angelic and plaintive and beautiful, but the songs here are equally magical and the combination is simply breathtaking. Simple acoustic accompaniment (with the occasional use of soft brass) makes for a really fantastic listening experience. I am so glad to have found this album and can't wait to hear more. I cannot recommend this album highly enough.
on 19 April 2006
Over many years living abroad I've kind of lost touch with UK folk music (the great RT excepted, of course). So when I saw this recommended on Amazon.uk, I thought: 'Why not?' And no regrets - this is a gorgeous recording by an outstanding performer. I can only back up all the other reviewers who gave this 5 stars. ('No Names' and 'Fare thee well' are particular stand-out tracks.) I will be ordering more by Kate Rusby immediately. Try this one and you are very unlikely to be disappointed.
on 31 January 2006
HEALTH WARNING!! If you've got a broken heart do not listen to this record, it will tear you into a 1000 pieces.
Kate's natural, beautiful, melodic voice totally haunts you throughout this album, it is quite simply a masterpiece. How on earth Kate Rusby isn't a household name is beyond me!
on 13 September 2014
I am already the proud owner of "Sweet Bells" and "Little Lights" which are traditionally played in our house over the Christmas period. I saw "The Girl Who Couldn't Fly in a second hand record shop in Soho at a ridiculous price so buying it was a bit of a no brainer. And I am left asking myself why it took me so long to add another Kate Rusby cd to my collection.This is a lovely cd.

Track 1 sets the template for the whole of this wonderful cd. Like a stick of rock it has "Classic Kate Rusby" stamped right through it.

Track 2 continues in the same vein.

I have read reviews where grown men have admitted to crying when listening to our Kate. Well I am a pensioner and track 3 had a similar effect on me when hearing it for the first time. This is most definitely one of the many stand out tracks on this cd. Other stand out tracks for me include tracks 6, 9,10 and the wonderful bonus track 12.

Throughout the cd all the musical arrangements are superb and compliment Kate's voice beautifully. And it's always great to hear the Grimethorpe Colliery Brass Band providing a rich sympathetic back up.

A truly lovely cd that just leaves the listener in a mellow, warm, soothing relaxing glow of joy and peace with the world.

If Congreve had written "Music has charms to soothe a savage breast" today rather than 1697 he would have had Kate Rusby in mind.
on 8 October 2007
Kate Rusby is a treat and possibly the most unsung performer in the UK. I own hundreds of CDs and very few of them continue to move me like "The Girl Who Couldn't Fly". From the teasing, light-hearted rhyme of `Mary Blaize' to the haunting simplicity of `Fare Thee Well', this album is a treat for the ears and a journey for the emotions. 'No Names' is the ultimate highlight for me, specifically because of Roddy Woomble's fantastic contribution. The vast space between Kate and Roddy's tones serves only to add to the bittersweet parting message that the song contains. This is a wonderful album that deserves much wider critical aclaim than it has received so far.
on 11 September 2005
This album is the best one she has made yet. The music is wonderful, the lyrics beautiful and the voice intoxicating. I am looking forward to hearing the songs sung live very soon.