on 15 August 2005
I loved this DVD. Previous bellydance DVD's that I have purchased, have either been instructional or studio performances done specifically for video. This DVD however is a live performance at its very best and you can feel that extra energy that live performance requires radiating from the screen. I liked the variety of dance styles and costumes from traditional, tribal, contemporary and even Hawaiian and the mix of solo and group performances. The Marilyn scene may not be to everyone's taste, but remembering that this is a live show where the audience quite likely exists of enthusiastic belly dancers and less enthusiastic partners, I thought it added a nice break.
An inspiring DVD for dance teachers, planning their next show or concert with ideas on lighting, group numbers, stage entry and exit etc.. A truly excellent DVD. I also bought the Bellydance Superstars DVD at the same time which was a waste as it covers most of the performances in this show but with over smoky effects an shoddy camera work.
on 12 June 2005
The DVD is every bit as good as seeing the show live! Although you can never quite capture the same excitement & ambiance at home as you can in the theatre. This DVD has exceptional quality & each dance is in it's own chapter, which is handy if you are a dancer studying choreography & dance tips. Every performer is truly a superstar who has mastered her craft. There's just two things that really let the video down. One being the 'Marilyn'act, bellydance & comedy just don't mix. The other is the bizarre finale with the girls walking down the stairs. I think that might've been Miles Copland's eccentric idea as none of the girls looked very happy to be doing it.
on 3 May 2005
Having just seen the live show, I thought the dvd would never match it! Wrong!! The filming quality is excellent and the content covers about 90% of the live UK shows. Very diverse in styles, the dance show varies from the undulating moves of the hawaiian style hula to the whirlwind veil dancing of Petite Jamilla ( awe-inspiring). My friends from my dancing class were all enthralled.The vast majority of the pieces are really great, with few exceptions, such as the 'Marilyn' bit, although that is probably my taste.Main highlights are the intro and finale, the Tribal pieces, Amar Gamal and Jamilla's dances- brill! Well worth viewing if you are a dance fan!
on 16 January 2006
Now, let's first get this out of the way. I'm a bloke. I watched this cos my wife's a bellydancing fiend and she said I'd appreciate the drumming. Indeed, as a darabuka player myself watching and listening to a master of the instrument made it worth watching alone. Now, hem hem, the icing on the cake was Sonia doing her thing on Drum Solo. IMO, she has that certain something that made me fix on her even during group pieces. Maybe it helps that she is stunning but it's more than that. A few gripes though. The 'comedy' Marilyn routine was pretty squirm inducing I have to say and I didn't go a bundle of the lass with the tattoos doing her thing to the industrial soundtrack. Other than that I'd say if you like well executed ensemble dancing like Riverdance etc give this a go.
on 6 October 2006
This DVD includes solo presentations and group work. As such it is much more varied, interesting and accessable than the other 2 DVDs released by this show.

I would recommend buying this one as the starting point and then considering if the other DVDs consisting of just solos will be of interest or not.
on 24 October 2005
I decided to buy this DVD after reading excellent reviews about it...and I'm glad I did!! This DVD is just wonderful!! An amazing, beautiful display of colors and dances including veils, drum solos and groups. Wonderful backgrounds, gorgeus costumes and great coreographies. A must have!
on 3 April 2006
I recently purchased this DVD and I was very pleased with it as it is exactly the same as the show I saw in London last year. Some criticism has been levelled at the show because it is fairly commercial, but if you weren't lucky enough to see the show then this DVD is much much cheaper than a ticket, and if you saw and it and loved it then this should be a great reminder!
on 18 October 2013
Although I am mainly interested in dancing myself at my local dance school and taking part in demonstrations at local school fetes and the like, I felt I would like to sit and really immerse myself in some professional performances. Although most of the training DVD's I have feature one or two short dances by the instructor, this Superstars DVD is just a wiggly, glittery, glamfest! The dancers showcase different bellydance styles, there are solo and group performances and there is a great rapport between the drummer and the dancers.

Like many reviewers, I wasn't quite sure what to make of Dondi's Marilyn, but I think if you take it at face value - a bit of light-hearted comedy (and Dondi can certainly do comedy to great effect) - it doesn't grate too much! Glad it's just the one number though.

Also like many reviewers, I saw exactly what people meant when they reckoned that the dancers looked very uncomfortable being handed down the staircase and introduced. I still can't make up my mind whether Rachel Brice fell deliberately or not but am assuming that must be the case, otherwise why would you leave it in?!

Overall, a very good DVD. Make sure the other half is tinkering with something in the garage, break out some choccies and enjoy!!
on 17 February 2010
I have lots of raks sharki DVDs from all around the world but this is my absolute favourite. LOVE it, something for everyone -Ansuya is her usual gorgeous, fabulas self and petite jamila and Adore show their individuality to perfection. REALLY GOOD MUSIC and a GREAT DRUMMER Very good camera work. Such a good atmosphere with being live - I just want to join in and clap myself ! The only things I could criticise is the Marilyn sketch which was not funny and irritating but I just always skip that track. After having introduced all the women in the finale I felt it was unnecessary to show them being escorted down the stairs, but it is the last track and again you can skip over it. Definitely recommend it.
on 12 November 2015
i especially love this and have watched it over and over again. great music as well. makes me feel so happy watching this