Customer reviews

Everything Is [Australian Import]
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 December 2014
Nobody seems to have put on a pedestal track 5....Headlights. I'm stuck for superlatives, so, won't bore you with a surfeit of them, but this track is the outstanding masterpiece of the album. Occasionally you have that moment when you are in awe...when you are so, so glad you bought a cd by a band you'd heard of but knew none of their stuff, at a ridiculously low, insulting-to-the-band 24 pence plus postage, and feel sick that this track existed and you might never have heard it. It is one of the best tracks I have ever heard. Sample it, then agree with me that it is sublime....major chords, minor chords....and done at medium pace with every musician contributing equally...This is a song you can put on repeat, when you are feeling down and want to wallow....Play it loud!!! As for the Grunge bit...I love Nirvana, and can certainly hear them in Nine Black Alps, but the Alps are not a copy, and very few songs on the album you'd actually class as Grunge.You can hear The Baddies ( 1st, excellent album period) Nirvana, Queens of the Stoneage, Three Colours Red and Senseless Things here, but the band itself remains unique..I love punk, but mainly the talented kind...Punishment of Luxury, Ruts, Buzzcocks, The Carpettes, Clash, Radio Stars, and so on, including the aforementioned bands. But recently I've absorbed Billy Talent, Max Raptor and the like. What I'm saying, is, I love rock. I like it fast,medium, moody and accomplished...This cd is everything I want.It's all YOU want, too. You just don't know it yet! Basically..buy this album. For a few, ridiculous pence you can't go wrong, and you will thank me that you took the risk. I've ordered ALL the Nine Black Alps' albums now...Invest in talent as I have done!!!
on 13 June 2005
I was badgered by a friend who said that these boys were going to be big, and as usual, I didnt listen. Then one day I bought their 'Shot Down' single and was turned onto a sound that really was Nirvana-esque but weren't American. With this in mind, I kept my ear to the ground and decided to go to a gig the other day at the Camden Barfly and was blown away by their sound.
Four likely lads from oop north, namely Oldham way I think, who are polite, but can tear the roof of a venue with their Mudhoney/Nirvana sound.
There is so much energy about this band, and their lead singer looks a lot like Kurt, which is a shame as they are not just Nirvana wannabe's but are almost carrying on the legacy of the grunge sound from where Ash and co left off.
This album is worthy of five stars because its hard to make that grungy sound and be taken seriously these days, but they have done it. I'm not saying that they are the finished article, but they are very young, and I am very excited to see what they can come up with in the next few years.
If you like your rock with shadowy lyrics and tales of woe, but done in a grungey way....these boys could brighten up your summer.
Stoundout track is 'Unsatisfied'...perhaps
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 July 2005
I bought this album as a mate told me it was pretty good and he'd seen them a few times. I have to say I was completely blown away when I heard it. First time through I was instantly pulled in by Cosmopolitan, the second song on the album. It's a big catchy riff and 2 and a half minutes of pure energy. But when I got to track 4, Unsatisfied .... WOW what a song. It's just oozes gorgeousness, gets in your head and stays there! I can't believe what a triumpth that tune is. You think things surely can't get any better and then you get to Ironside. Woah! An absolute rock anthem of teen spirit proportions if you ask me. What a genius song. And then, out of nowhere you get intermission. As a massive Elliot Smith fan I couldn't believe my ears, it's almost like the record company mixed up the tapes in the studio and accidently put one of his classics on the alps album. It's just a beautiful song, amazingly well done.
The whole album is just brilliant and I look forward to getting the chance to see them live. If you have ever liked bands such as Nirvana, Sonic Youth etc then buy this album. It's a classic.
on 22 June 2005
This is probably the best new band for a while, i heard Shot Down ages ago and thought it was good but didn't really think much about it, then, out of nowhere, they produce a mindblowing album. I am hesitant to call it grunge, because to me it's a step ahead, the melodies and lyrics aren't so depressing as any of the other stuff to come from Seattle in the late eighties and early nineties, but the song "Not Everyone" could just as well have been on In Utero.
Best Mancs since Oasis.
on 19 September 2005
Words can't express how much i love this, ever track could be a single... 'nuff said!
on 18 June 2005
this album is amazing, nine black alps are amazing, the best tracks being, well, all of them, the most outstanding being, get your guns,cosmopolitan,not everyone, unsatisfied, ironside, shotdown, just friends and southern cross.
this is a must have album for any music fan!!!
on 18 June 2005
on 26 October 2005
I've had this album, well, since it's been out, more or less, which is a fair time ago. It's never too late to write a review, though, and this album more than deserves a mention.

Yes, the most obvious comparisons to draw are the 'Nirvana' comparisons with its aggressive yet grungy rock. Because typically, this is a grunge album.

Kicking off with 'Get Your Guns', which is an aggressive opener, it seems to set the tone for the rest of the album. However, Sam Forrest's strong vocals are aggressive enough without having to push the limit too much, as in screaming. 'Cosmopolitan' is more of a punk-thrash a la Pixies but still has that grunge feel to it. 'Not Everyone' is more similar to the opener and rocks hard, just good old hard rock. 'Unsatisfied' is one of the more melodic rockers, but has a great strength that equals the strongest that has been heard so far. 'Headlights' is more in the vein of 'Cosmopolitan' and more punk than grunge, and chugs along. The real highlights though, in my opinion, are the ballads. 'Behind Your Eyes' is a lovely, flowing song. 'The spark ignites the light behind your eyes,' Forrest croons. Then we head back to the grunge, and the song 'Ironside'- I'm unsure whether that's some kind of relation to the TV series of the same name, but it's good nonetheless. 'Shot Down', again, is more punk thrash, although it's too heavy to be classed as punk in its own form, but it has a punk feel to it. 'Just Friends' is brilliant, from the opening riff, to the grungy sounds in between, to the ending riffs. One of the highlights for me, personally, and also the shortest song on offer here. And the album is short anyway- 35 minutes over 12 songs. Next up is 'Everybody Is', a punk-grunge number, the meat and potatoes of this album in all truth. Next is 'Intermission', another slower, lighter song here, and the penultimate track. 'I pray for an intermission,' Forrest sings. A highlight. The final track is called 'Southern Cross', and another grunge number, so the album shows no huge diversity but that's ok as the two slower songs show they can write these songs just as well as their trademark sounds. Like the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And NBA have no intention of doing that here. I just hope they don't ruin the recipe next time. Great album. 9/10.
VINE VOICEon 12 December 2013
Yes, the major and most noticeable influence here is best represented on tracks 1 and 3, but also listen to tracks 5 and 9...Buzzcocks, anyone? Given NINE BLACK ALPS' geographical origins this seems to make some kind of cosmic sense to my mind and their debut album, which is both grungy and intelligent in equal measure, appears to bear this out with its rough-edged pop perfection. The quality of songwriting on display is simply outstanding; 'Unsatisfied' and 'Behind Your Eyes' are perhaps the twin pinnacles but the final number, 'Southern Cross', carries the weightiest production and ends the album in real style.

on 25 June 2006
This album is absolutely astonishing; one of the best in my collection, and in all honesty I don't listen to it that often which is a shame. But I sat down just now and shoved my entire NBA collection on shuffle and have once again be baffled by their amazing music. "Everything Is" had me gripped from the first few seconds of the first track "Get Your Guns". The opening is brilliant, and the song is a constant fast mover. Sam Forrest's vocals lend perfectly to every single track on the album, and all other members contribute in a fantastic way to produce some of the best music I've heard in years.

A lot of people compare the Alps to the likes of Nirvana, so if you're into that then you'll most likely love these guys. They're growing more and more popular and are better known in the public eye now (although I've been a fan from since they were relatively unheard of). This is a fantastic début album though and I can only hope that there will be plenty more to come from them!