Customer reviews

on 2 July 2017
I found this a very sentimental and reactionary film. I would have hoped we had got past film making where gay characters have angst ridden lives and suffer in swooning ways but apparently not. Here the excuse for the self pity comes in the form of a character who is a mormon. Now, maybe there is a film to be made about mormons and their 'difficulties' with homosexuality but this isn't it. It's just generalised angst really, and the gay character who realises there is more to life than just casual flings is another horrid cliche of a part.
The performers do well - nothing wrong there. The writer clearly thinks he's writing a gay positive film, but actually isn't. This is melodrama and it's watchable but the sentimentality, the absurd coincidences, the cod philosophising and morality all add up to a very sickly dish indeed.
on 30 May 2017
very good
on 3 March 2017
Very good
on 14 April 2009
I think the writer/directors idea of taking who he was and who he is and sticking them in a film together is a really interesting one. I love the subtle humour in this. The two leads play the parts really well and have chemistry on screen and of course, they are very appealing to the eye!!! The supporting characters just add to the film. I knew the ending before I saw this, but still find Christian taking the watch back to Aarons mum quite moving. I like the whole it's fated parts of this film, it didn't feel like forced fate. A,'oh that's very convenient' type of fate. All in all I love this film. It gives me the happy ending I wanted, plus the fact I think religion should never win over love, especially when so bigoted. I like the fact that characters redeem themselves or try to in a sense too. ie Ryder, Aarons mum. Good way of showing people aren't just one thing. Even with my no time for religion, I found it good to see that the Mormon characters were shown as young blokes, farting, messing around, moaning etc ie still being young blokes who just happened to be religious. Loved also we see Aaron who's quite deep, but showing he has a sense of humour and Christian who comes across as a 'marshmallow peep' isn't all he seems.
The bleakness of Aarons being 'de-gay'd' contrast well against the rest of the film and left me thinking how sad it was people think these places need to exist and that people feel they need to go to them. All in all this is a great film. It takes the light and makes it amusing, while building a convincing love story and takes the dark and makes it bleak and then of course, my happy ending I eagerly awaited!!!! Buy this, rent this, whatever you do, just see it. It's well worth it.
on 8 December 2010
There's no doubt that Steve Sandvoss is the best thing about Latter Days and makes this film unmissable. Mesmerizingly handsome, as the sweet-natured idealistic Mormon missionary who has to deal with both his awareness of his sexuality and his religion's condemnation of homosexuality, he gives a performance that will charm the pants off you! He brings such a sweet naivety to the role, and such likability, even when the dialogue is clunky you somehow are convinced by him, and more than a little in love!

Phew, well, the rest of the cast is also excellent. The characters are probably a little too stereotypical for comfort but they are drawn and acted beautifully, and I empathized with all. Wes Ramsey as the beautiful and shallow party boy of the relationship is comparatively, a little too cardboard and not wholly convincing. The excellent Jaqueline Bisset's character seems inspired by Mrs Madrigal from Tales of the City and so unoriginal, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (so good in 3rd Rock!) as the Mormon with attitude is somewhat wasted but very good. Erik Palladino - as Keith Griffin who is suffering from AIDS - deserves a mention, his performance is very moving, funny and convincing.

This film is obviously far from perfect. It hasn't the best of scripts and there are some filmic ideas to contend with that I personally found a touch crass and jarring, and so much feels formulaic, just tick the boxes! Although heartfelt, the soundtrack has little subtlety, which is unfortunate in that music plays quite a significant part in the film, but some of the songs are sweet and work well enough in context.

What this film has in abundance is charm, you get the feeling that the cast and crew meshed well, and it was obviously a labour of love of C. J. Fox, the writer and director, the idea having come from his own experiences as a Mormon youth. There is a lot of skill in evidence in both the directing and writing that would definitely make me seek out C. J. Fox films with the expectation that things can only get better, and I'd love to see what he could do with a bigger budget.

Sentimental romantic that I am - which can make me very forgiving - I loved it! I know it's a film I will go back to and watch again and again, and so would recommend it highly.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 6 February 2016
Buyers may want to check with the seller before buying this DVD as none of the actors or director listed under 'Product details' have anything to do with the film Latter Days.

I confess to selling this DVD and then recently buying it again - I gradually realised I would want to get it again to see whether it was better than I thought! I do find it less frustrating now, because I knew it wasn't a masterpiece up front ... however it does have a certain amount going for it. The romance between the fly-by-night Christian and his new Mormon neighbour, the clean-cut Aaron, in Los Angeles to spread the word as a part of his initiation into the adult community, for a start. It has a wonderful romantic pull, both young men are very appealing in contrasting ways, and their love scene is touching, stranded at Salt Lake City airport in the snow, where Christian tells an unusual, memorable tale from when he was 13. His face is so beautifully lit in the slightly eerie light. His character development is moving to see, while Aaron really touches the heart. Christian works as a waiter at a restaurant run by Lila, played by Jacqueline Bisset with a certain swagger - it is good to see her bringing such glamour to the film. The scene where she talks to Aaron on a bench is perhaps not as deep as all that, but the two actors have undeniable appeal. Christian's flatmate, an aspiring singer, adds further feminine charm although I did wonder if there was a song too many from her ... at times it seems the film is becoming a product placement for her singing. The film is quite anti-Mormon, which is not a point of view I have any trouble with - clearly a young gay person can only be completely destroyed by this religion, as so many others ... For all its crudeness, the film does bring this home quite forcibly, while tugging at the heartstrings as well.
on 21 December 2014
A truly amazing film, really well directed and with some of the best unknown actors. I have read the book and the film is so much better. The film gives us a true understanding of what it is like to be gay in a world that "shun's" this kind of activity and how the Amish react and try to deal with it is frightening. The film picks up on some afflictions the gay community come up against which make you think about life. There is love scene that is quite powerful so not for youngsters!

I thoroughly enjoyed the film and would recommend to all.
on 17 April 2007
This surely has to be one of the all time best Gay films of the last decade. Beautifully written and touches on emotions that i think all of us can associate with. The story tells of Christian, a waiter and party & man animal accepting a bet to corrupt young Aaron, an out of town Mormon Missionary, and the resulting emotions, tears, humour & at times thought provoking moments that accompany the journey of these 2 - rather stunning - young men. The film did indeed end in a few tears, not only for the characters - but for me also. Touching, humourous and a film you will want to watch again and again basically sums it up! The only downside, has to be the crying scenes - where the acting coach obvioulsly wasn't present!! But see for yourselves!

The soundtrack is also worth a listen to!
on 13 May 2016
Love this movie ! saw clips beforehand online which had made me want to see it, so it was well worth buying. A great love story and great acting from it's two male leads plus I like when famous faces such as Jacqueline Bisset add their name and support to gay love stories like this. 100%
on 8 July 2017
A true love story great to watch and share with everyone regardless of sexual orientation.