on 4 November 2012
Having been to South America twice, including the Amazon, it wasn't for a number of years that this documentary was available.When it first came out on vhs, I bought it. I realised that it was such a great documentary that when it was released on dvd, I bought that too.I was under the impression that the vhs would eventually be unplayable. Not so. I played it all recently and the tapes are as good as the day I bought them.
The species of Animalia seen in this documentary is amazing. Wildlife is always amazing, especially the Avian species. Who cannot simply adore those magnificent Macaws?
If you can't afford to be there in person, watching this documentary is the next best thing.
Enjoy.
on 30 August 2014
I remember being so enthralled with this series when initially shown on the television. Contrary to previous reviewers' comments Feargal Keane's narration just made it for me. He always sounded so in awe of the footage and so genuinely pleased to be a part of this ambitious project. So different to Sir David Attenborough who is also excellent but always comes over as over excited about his finds. Two great narrators but oh so different and not really fair to compare one with the other. The filming was so very clever and the touches of humour so brilliant.

I Can now watch it over and over again, and enjoy every repeated section. Repeats I want to watch, not have inflicted on me.
on 13 September 2014
This product was ordered and received in 4 days and is a BBC DVD of two Discs of five hours duration and they are giving it away at £5. Spectacular photography of wild life in the Andes Mountain range to the flooded Amazon rain forest.Some of the creatures filmed are quite staggering and you can almost feel the damp oppressive heat of the jungle and its many secrets.This is one DVD you don't want to miss out on.
on 20 May 2012
I bought this recently having watched the series when it was first broadcast on TV. It is narrated by Fergal Keane - I love his voice whether on a news report, a Radio 4 series or in this case a TV documentary. He comes over as sincere and understated which somehow seems just right for the spectacular and extraordinary footage we see here.

I have not been to South America but this makes me want to go. I am sure the jungle sequences must have been technically very difficult to shoot and the wildlife sequences are exceptional. My favourite parts however are the big landscapes of Patagonia, the vast grasslands of Brazil and the Bolivian Altiplano. This is a continent of extremes and this two DVD set does a wonderful job in giving a taster for what is on offer.
on 2 March 2016
I loved this series years ago, my daughter 8, had a school topic on rain forests so I had an excuse to buy it and watch again. My daughter and 9yo son & us parents were riveted and loved it - the music is FAB and, although I love David Attenborough BBC wildlife programmes, this was the same quality but with an extra, sparkle feel in music & narration. What an amazing area of our planet :-) !
on 9 August 2013
Saw this on TV, and got the DVD. Wasn't disappointed- South America is a fascinating continent. Made me want to go and explore there. Very good photography. Different regions were interesting as well. Subtitles extremely helpful. Anyone interested in nature at all should add this to their collection!
on 17 March 2013
What a stunning DVD and BBC documentory!
Divine footage;
Amazing Cinematography and shooting skills;
Amazing Quality!
and ultiamtely AMAZING Amazon and Andes!
Having been there for months on end my self, I find this DVD really does it (at least) some justice!

Thanks BBC and thank you God!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 June 2013
I have never taken much interest in South America but always been curious as to what it was like. This DVD shows what a varied and beautiful country it is. The standard BBC quality and production, as usual, make it an educational and entertaining film. Thoroughly recommended.
on 1 September 2014
this is an excellent offering but.......falls short of the standard previously set by Flight of the Condor, which must be the footage by which all other South American documentaries must be judged by.When o when is the BBC going to release this three hours of glorious film-making!
on 25 September 2016
A great DVD am so glad that I have it in my collection