Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 6 August 2005
It's been a long time coming, but Jason Mraz doesn't disappoint in this follow up to 2002's "Waiting For My Rocket to Come". A little mellower, a little more introspective, and a lot more polished, this is a great album for easy listening and relaxing.
First single "Wordplay" from this Mechanicsville VA native picks up where "Rocket" left off, with clever lyrics, a versatile range of notes and a catchy chorus that will stick in your head.
"The wonderful thing it does because
Because I am the wizard of ooh's and ah's and fa la la's
Yeah the Mr. A-Z
They say I'm all about the Wordplay"
Another clever track is "Geek in the Pink" which is almost pop-hop lyrics-wise, and one of my favorites. The chorus of "Did You Get My Message" brings up some ELO memories, but this album is all about Mraz from alpha to omega, as he puts it, hence the title Mr. A-Z.
More great tracks are "Clockwatching", the lead off ballad "Life is Wonderful", and "Mr. Curiosity" with its standout piano work. The retro "Bella Luna" showcases Mraz's acoustic guitar work, and "O Lover" drifts to the Latin side. "Please Don't Tell Her" has one of the best opening riffs on the album, and there isn't a bad song on the album.
Grading alphabetically, this one's an A.
Amanda Richards
on 24 August 2005
I've been waiting for this album for months and finally it's arrived!
You should definately put it on first time when you have an hour to spare. It's worth listening to properly straight away. There's a great range of styles on this album, Jason's full talents both writing, producing and singing are all on display.
Geek in the pink is a sure fire pop hit whilst still being funky and credible.
My personal fav is Did you get my message? It's a masterpiece i think.
Another instant classic is Plane which is moody and the kind of song that makes you stop whatever it is you were supposed to be doing and just listen. Fantastic.
A great second album from Jason Mraz. He's matured, developed his skills and released an album that just oozes great quality production, highly talented musicians, great vibe and songs you'll be singing along to within a few listens!
Buy and enjoy!
on 1 August 2005
I own this album and i have to say (to my suprise) its one of the best albums i own.
Nice lyrics and a solid voice so theres no let down there.
As for the songs there are some shiners like Wordplay, Geek In The Pink And Please Don't Tell Her (i think thats the best). Not Really A crappy song On The Album. I Would Say if you like Dan Powter, James Blunt style of music you should like this. If you like a good thrash on drums and stuff then this wont wet your whistle.
Overall 5* Because Every song on the album is good and a fair few little dazzlers. Buy It And Love It
on 13 November 2005
LOVE THIS! Mr Mraz is a man of talents a-plenty and i couldnt wait to get my hands on this - been a long time waiting. Its wicked on a first listen and just keeps getting better and better as I have it constantly revolving on my ipod. Fave tracks are Geek in the Pink and Clockwatching. Also love Song for a friend.
All in all briliiant, really varied and his lyrical meandering just blows my mind.
Cannot WAIT to catch him live in feb.
on 9 April 2009
From the hugely uplifting Life Is Wonderful to the massively fun Geek In The Pink (I defy you not to sing along!) this album will put a little sunshine in your day and make you heart swell!
And then be amazed at the clever Wordplay and the emotional Plane (my personal favourite).
An album for everyone to enjoy!
on 9 July 2016
I really like this album - the first five songs in particular are simply brilliant, though that's not to say those which follow are 'bad' songs (in fact, some of those which do are just as good). In my opinion, this album has a different feel to "Waiting for My Rocket to Come", one which I think I prefer - perhaps most noticeably, there appears to be a greater 'variety' of songs, if that makes sense. For example, the album still contains uptempo melody lines which Jason is renown for, found in the likes of "Geek in the Pink" and "Wordplay", yet songs such as "Mr. Curiosity" and "Plane" have a more sombre tone, something that I didn't really feel was present in "Waiting for My Rocket to Come". Overall, a very enjoyable listen.
on 7 August 2005
The title of this review sums up my feelings about this album. My first hearing left me rather disappointed and a little confused; where was the Mraz from 'Waiting for my rocket?'. There were glimpses of him on 'Wordplay', but that's all I got of the artist I heard on past albums. Recently I rated 'Waiting for my rocket' as a 5-star album, but this time I cannot be so positive - Mr. A-Z has left me quite cold on this outing.
I found the first track, 'Life Is Wonderful', to be entirely dull and repetitve. There is not much of a tune to my thinking, just a lot of words that don't fit together well and sound like they're the soundtrack to a Honda advert. The beat is impossible to follow and leaves the track in a jumbled state. The next three tracks ('Wordplay', 'Geek in the pink' and 'Did you get my message?') are more Mraz-ish than the terrible opening but sound dreadfully over-produced. I recently heard acoustic versions of these songs on mtv.com and found them much more enjoyable in their raw states. Other tracks pick up where 'Life is wonderful' left off. I found 'Mr. Curiosity' quite good (apart from the opera section halfway through, in which Mraz sounds like a woman!), but 'Clockwatching', 'Plane' and 'The Forecast' did nothing for me. 'Bella Luna', 'O. Lover' and 'Song for a friend' (also a bit more like the old Jason) were worthwhile but could not compare to the tracks on his debut album.
Overall, the new Mr. A-Z leaves me wondering where it all went wrong. Has he just matured into a new, less interesting artsit? Is it producer Steve Lillywhite's influence? I hope that Mraz returns to his original roots on his third album, and that I'll be able to regard this album as being afflicted by 'The Curse of the Sophomore Slump'. Let's have more wordplay, less operatics and a return to the upbeat, fresh sound that the rocket brought us.
This is a top, top album. I quite liked Waiting For My Rocket To Come. This I absolutely love. Jason Mraz has such an eclectic style and it is perfectly displayed on Mr A-Z. It would be unfair to pigeon-hole him with other artistes. With shades of everyone from John Mayer to Ben Folds, buy this album. It deserves to be a success!
on 15 June 2008
With crisp, clean, and likeable vocals, handsome good looks, and a quickfire and clever lyrical style you'd be forgiven for thinking that the only reason Jason Mraz is not a megastar is that his music is crap... Right?

Wrong.

Mr A-Z is an example of a pop artist who likes to play. Play with music, play with genre's, play with listeners, and the games he is playing are very fun indeed. Even the album's title is a nod to his obvious wit which he acknowledges on the song Wordplay ("I'm Mr A-Z and I'm all about the worldplay"). The album opens with the gentle philosophy of Life is Wonderful which could have been grating in the hands of a lesser lyricist but is warm and uplifting here as he reminds us that the good things in life need the bad sometimes to make us appreciate them. He follows this up with the quickfire double whammy of the aforementioned Wordplay and the brilliant Geek in the Pink. Both are fast, funky, funny, and play to Mraz's strengths beautifully. If you can listen to either of these songs without smiling at least once then you are officially dead from the funny bone down.

Guest stars can make or break a record and Did You Get My Message's works perfectly. Mraz and Rachel Yamagata flirt and wink through 4 minutes of mobile phone inspired playfulness and it should have been a massive hit. This leads into the far slower and unabashedly romantic Mr Curiosity, an absolutely gorgeous piano ballad that demonstrates the versitility and downright prettiness of Mraz's voice, partcularly on an operatic conclusion. The next track, Clockwatching, is decent enough but forgettable compared to its predecessors and Bella Luna uses its spanish guitar sound to generate a summery haze but never fully engages me. The next song, Plane, is a beautiful and dramatic love song and a return to full form for the album.

From here the album goes into wind down mode. The fast and poppy O Lover plays with some Michael Jackson-esque vocal tics and Please Don't Tell Her returns briefly to the fast and funny lyrical style of some of the earlier songs as he tells us of a relationship that he doesn't miss in its passing. The sunny musical stylings of Forecast is engaging before everything closes down with the largely fogettable Song for a Friend (Plane would have been a better album closer). In fairness though after almost 7 minutes of not being particularly remarkable this song burst to life and wakes the listener up beautifully for a cracking last minute and a half.

Mr A-Z isn't necessarily the most consistent of albums, the second half is nowhere near as good as the first, but in the songwriter's own words (on Song for a Friend) its "better than average". Mraz likes playing with musical styles and pop, rock, reggae, hip hop, and even opera all make fleeting appearances. He's definitely a musical dilittante and that's no bad thing in a world of soundalikes but it would be nice to see him develop a shade more consistency.
on 9 August 2013
The CD case came cracked which isn't that much of an issue because I just put the CD in my CD wallet but still, Amazon could have made more of an effort to make sure the CD case is protected well enough.