on 26 April 2017
Good
on 12 October 2010
The production isn't slick, but the value is in Roald Dahl's creation and the delivery which appeals to everyone.
on 10 May 2015
Quality of the DVD quite poor. Watchable but wouldn't reccomend.
on 12 August 2011
We bought this as an end of term treat for our Year 2 classes(6&7 year olds) as we had been studying the works of Roald Dahl, concentrating on the Magic Finger. The children all loved it. It was a cartoon/drawing with voiced story which was the book word for word.
Would recommend
on 23 September 2013
My daughters favourite story every is The Enormous Crocodile and to see it come to life has made her a very happy girl. Very entertaining.
on 5 May 2016
Not quite what I was expecting, stories and rhymes told with still illustrations, thought it would be an animated cartoon
on 11 May 2014
Fantastic DVD. My son has watched it over & over again. Goes well with the books that he is reading at School.
on 10 July 2011
Bought this as my class are studying The Magic Finger in their Literacy sessions, and after being caught between wondering whether the film is charming in it's old-fashioned simplicity or terribly dated looking, I had to put myself in the shoes of a 7 year old to say this DVD is terribly dated. The images are a series of cartoon drawings, albeit nice drawings, and when children are used to the sophisticated animated action they get now, this doesn't compare. It's effectively a read through of the story, accompanied by a series of images, which wouldn't bring the story to life any better than a teacher reading through the story (and the voice on the DVD trills a bit after a while). Disappointing.
on 11 September 2012
Although I agree with other people's comments over the poor production feel of this film (ropey soundtrack that sounds like it is being played underwater), the point of this DVD that I cannot believe anyone has spotted or commented on is in the part "Revolting Rhymes" with the poem called "Cinderella". There is a verse in this story that starts:-

"The Prince cried, 'Who's this dirty slut?
'Off with her nut! Off with her nut!'

My wife and I couldn't believe it as our 7 year old daughter watched and heard this. This is supposed to be a U certificate film. I am not a prude and love a whole variety of films but the use of this word in a U cert DVD aimed at children is unacceptable. What next from the BBFC? The allowance of the word "Whore" for a U cert film. I am just glad we managed to distract her from this bit of the DVD and the fact that we did not allow her to watch it with school friends of the same age. I am really surprised with one of the other comments that allowed year 2 classes to watch it. As a parent I would not be happy with a school doing this.

Buyer beware.....
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2011
the kids love a bit of roald! it give me a little bit of peace you cant wrong with this one its great if they like this they will love BFG a bit better then this.