Customer reviews

on 31 January 2013
One of the best albums I have ever heard. R L Burnside can veer between melancholy, tender and snarlingly vicious in the blink of an eye and here is more than ably backed by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (oddly I discovered the Blues Explosion via R L Burnside rather than the other way around, but that's another story and just one more reason to thank Burnside). Sadly there aren't too many Burnside recordings available but at the moment that hardly matters as I can't stop playing this one! This is how the blues really should sound - like a bunch of guys sat down in a room and stopped drinking bourbon just long enough to bash out a tune here and there. If you like your music over-produced and sanitised then go elsewhere, but for anyone who likes music to come from the gut this album is one you really should check out.
on 29 April 2005
This album was recorded live in Burnside's garage with John Spencer's Blues Explosion as a backing group. It is amazing. So fresh and liveley, you feel like your in some seedy club witnessing a jam session.
Raw, foul mouthed, funny and tuneful. Buy it.
on 3 December 2009
When this came out over ten years ago it completely blew me away and changed my perceptions of what could be done with the blues.

It is one of only a handful of recordings I have heard in recent years that have given me that old excitement. That kick in the stomache feeling I got when I heard Son House playing Death Letter on the Paul Jones show in the 80s, or when I first heard Portishead's Dummy.

RL is at his best and so are Blues Explosion.

RL is no longer with us but thankfully we have these terrific recordings to remember him by. Another reviewer says this one is not for blues purists. I would disagree because this is the real spirit of the blues - the grindy John Lee Hooker kind that is all about the groove and the mood rather than showy soloing. When this came out there was a lot of very poor music being played under the banner blues, and the same is true today. This disc still stands as an authentic howl from the Mississippi.

You need to turn this stuff up.
on 4 July 2012
Having never listened to any RL Burnside before this CD, I was blown away from track one onwards.

I discovered RL after I first started listening to Juniour Kimbrough and reading they were cut from the same cloth. Right from the first loud, driving track of this album I couldn't stop listening to it. Gritty guitar riffs, cool bass and a blues heart make this album unique and brilliant.
on 23 April 2001
I can't think of any other blues man alive or dead who could have achieved what RL has achieved on this album. It can best be described as blues meets punk meets heavy metal meet garage meets grunge meets.....
This album is definately not for the die hard blues anorak, or the easily offended, Criminal Inside Me should not be played in front of your grannie, even if someone old enough to be her husband did play it! RL puts a new and novel spin on Boogie Chillin, whilst when Togo Met Hitler is a joy. Compare the versions of Goin Down South and yet an other take on Shake Em' On Down with earlier version and you will wonder if Bob Dylan really has reinvented himself or if David Bowie really is the chamealeon of pop.RL leaves them in his wake. But the best track on the whole album has to be Snake Drive for its shear intensity and organised chaos, it is one track I can play again and again. All in all my opinion is that this album is quite possibly the best RL has done todate.
on 2 August 2008
This is a great little album. RL Burnside was one of the more innovative blues artists, certainly in his later days, experimenting with hip hop etc. Out of that period came this album recorded with the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. The Blues Explosion have always frustrated as they don't often create music in line with the connotation of their name. This is probably the closest that band will get to the blues and this album is all the better for it. Burnside staples like Shake em on down are converted into blues punk grooves, JL Hooker's Boogie Chillen is also a highlight as is Snake Drive, which is probably the best song on the album with its raw energy. Don't expect a typical blues album, as those who have heard Burnside and Spencer before will tell you. It's a whole lot more fun than that!
on 18 January 2013
Great Vinyl reissue on 180 gram..Lo Fi Blues with a punk attitude a storming set that hits hard from the start with contributions from Jon Spencer blues explosion..Oh Mama.
on 26 June 2002
I am now 35 years old. What can I tell you? I don't get moved by music the way I used to. Time was I used to run home with stuff and sit fixated in front of the speakers. I would listen and listen over and over. Listen hard. Digest.
Somewhere in my 20s I stopped doing that. Then five years ago I heard this recording. It completely blew me away and changed my perceptions of what could be done with the blues.
RL is at his best and so are Blues Explosion.
You need to turn this stuff up.
on 22 May 2015
If you want to hear where Sea Sick Steve gets his influences from, here it is!
on 9 July 2016
This really is up to you two tracks suited the rest is not for me I like it when the guy musically rocks his blues. should have downloade the tracks not bought the full CD.