Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 February 2017
Had this on vinyl in the seventies.It really has all of the Doors finest work.This is the first time it has been available on cd..cannot recommend it enough.
VINE VOICEon 22 May 2014
This is the only CD I have ever pre-ordered from Amazon and I could not believe that this was now being reissued on CD. I remember it coming out originally and buying it in my lunch hour and then leaving work 'a bit early...'. Although I have always been a Doors fan and had all the albums, i played it to death because it is not the most obvious of tracks chosen in some cases - but the tracks chosen are superb with a very successful running order, to my mind. The tracks just naturally flow like a proper album and I have always viewed it not as a compilation but as a Doors album proper. Simply a superb edition to the Doors catalogue then and now.

I would not recommend it to anyone new-ish to the Doors and would suggest the one CD Best Of. Then to The Doors (first album), Morrison Hotel and LA Woman.

So. I did not buy this in my lunch hour and bunk off work but had it delivered to my home (no more work) and played it loud - again. I felt a quiet excitement - like old times, to my wife's gentle but understanding amusement. She likes this too. The sticker on the cover describes it as 'revered' and this is accurate. Most Doors fans I know love it. It is also great value for money but this is less important with such an iconic re-issue.
44 Comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2014
This is a great compilation which I bought on vinyl originally. It is the Doors as the fans who bought their albums would want - The End and When the Musics Over are both on it. There are a couple of b-sides - You Need Meat is okay but since the albums have been reissued these are not as collectible.
What I really liked about this compilation was its flow from one song to the next. You probably feel that there are enough Doors compilations out there and I agree but this was the earliest and the best. You want the singles? Don't buy this then because they ain't here.
on 29 April 2015
Many years ago a vinyl copy of Weird Scenes was my introduction to the Doors and while I went on to buy all the individual albums I don't think any single one of them captures the essence of the Doors as well as this compilation. I congratulate the compiler for the track selection and sequencing.
on 11 June 2014
Sat back to listen to this brand new double LP for the first time, and track 1 on side 1 skips!

I then inspected the rest of the first record and track 6 is scratched!

I did 't even bother taking the second LP out to take a look.

Returned for refund.
on 30 April 2016
I bought this as a double album,some 30 odd years ago.I liked the Doors,just happened to see this,and not owning any of their records(being mostly a jazz fan),purchased it.And cemented my liking into something more durable.As an introduction,unbeatable.As a recording to play over and over,ditto.The running times of CD's now could have added more tracks,and that wouldn't have hurt,I don't think,but this,in its original form is as good a one stop Doors package as any,I think.The snake may be long(seven miles),this is about 90 minutes in length.But quality,all through! I personally class this as the ultimate Doors disc for those who don't especially want the whole oeuvre.
on 28 April 2015
This is a perfect album. Bought it on vinyl back in 1982. It was my first doors album. I had heard The End in the film Apocalypse Now. I bought two copies, I'm going to give my daughter one copy.
on 1 April 2015
I have the original LP and now I have the CD and its portable
Quality is excellent
It is one of the best "best of's" and not available in any format since the 70's
on 31 December 2016
Updating my vinyl which I bought on its release in 1972; always have been a big fan of The Doors. Although I have many of these tracks on individual albums this is a fantastic compilation and really gives a sense of what this band was about. Brilliant musicianship, insightful lyrics delivered in Jim Morrison's unique style all adding to the menacing atmosphere that pervades their music ( Riders on the Storm; The End etc ).
A great album cannot recommend it enough.
on 19 May 2014
Released originally in 1972 and it serves as a great intro to the band and surprisingly it doesn't contain all their best songs. Missing are The Changeling, Cars Hiss By My Window, You're Lost Little Girl & People Are Strange - buy it or just invest in all their records apart from their only poor record they made The Soft Parade. There's been alot of dross and hype attached to the legend of The Doors but the music is never over.
33 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse