Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 March 2006
Amazon recommended me this because of my purchase of a Sigur Ros album so I decided to check it out. The somewhat OTT song titles are slightly misleading, and may put off any one who reads them and suspects the album to be full of pretense. However what follows is a 22-track effort comprising all sorts of genres, a fine blend of musical tanacity that whilst it will never be considered a classic is certainly a brave album full of promise.
on 11 September 2016
I just LOVE this album.
on 26 November 2015
Excellent
on 30 November 2010
Amazing
on 29 June 2006
What an album! I have come across some fabulous albums in my tme, but this is truely out of this world! A must have! Do not even think twice about buying it!
on 10 January 2011
hello,

I ordered the original cover of Illinoise, with Superman visible on the cover and didn't get it, i received a cd with no superman.
I wanted to contact the seller to tell him that but the "contact seller" dialog box is not available.

regards,

Carla
44 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2008
I love the way so much stuff has been crammed into this record; tracks like "One Last "Whoo-Hoo!" for the Pullman" are not 6-second throwaways, they're vital in making Illinois interesting in the first place. Some nice arrangements, the song about zombies is great, but... I dunno, the lyrics are just really, really bad. And for all of the album's supposed experimentation, the actual tracks are no crazier than anything you'd find on an Arcade Fire CD. I actually gave this record away to a friend who was going to study in Illinois for a year, more for the context of it all than any sort of musical gift. I can't say I've missed its presence too much...
on 10 June 2006
I subscribe to a great magazine called Uncut. This magazine has introduced me to some really great acts such as Wilco and Richmond Fontaine and opened my eyes to classic artists such as Bob Dylan and Emmylou Harris. When Uncut voted Arcade Fire's Funeral and Sufjan Stevens' Illinois as albums of the year 2005, I decided it would be worth a try checking out these artists, especially since the magazine's year end CD contained interesting songs by each group. Despite still loving the magazine, next year I will be more careful.

I must admit, I've never made it through Arcade Fire, terrible production and what sounded interesting on one track became quickly irritating (singing lessons are in order in Toronto). Sufjan received more patience on my behalf. The album is whimsical so I thought it merely took a few attempts to get it. I quote another reviewer who just got it right; "I've tried and Tried and TRIED to give this album a go" but like my soul mate (Sufjan wise at least) on the other side of the planet from my stand point, I find this pretentious. Is this supposed to be some kind of Pet Sounds? What sounded somewhat charming for one track becomes unfocused for a whole album. Yes, there are a few good tunes to be found. Many are, however, simply amateurish with way too many instruments, my feeling is that that is intended to conceal the lack of melodies. End result is that one should not buy the hype (as I did!) for as an album, Illinois really has too much noise lacking direction.
55 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse