Customer reviews

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 December 2012
It's a shame that Take That member Mark Owen's third (and so far last) album was a commercial failure, falling under the top 75 in the UK - I'm torn between which one of his two strongest solo albums is the best, 'In Your Own Time' (2003) or 'How The Mighty Fall' (2005).

Despite it's lack of chart success, it has to be said that the high profile Take That reunion, which ultimately overshadowed this solo release from someone who far from reached the heights of Robbie, or even Gary Barlow, couldn't have helped matters in the slightest.

However, little Mark proves once again that he is a great singer who can write good songs, both quirky and emotional. I would probably say that this is more of a rock album that his other two (his top 40 debut 'Green Man' was distinctly Britpop, and 'In Your Own Time' was Pop/Rock), but it's hard to categorise his records for sure, because there is much variety. The only thing that tracks like the off-the-wall 'Waiting for the Girl', and the bouncy single 'Believe in the Boogie' have in common in terms of musical style is the same distinctive, high-pitched voice.

All of the tracks on this one are worth repeated listens, 'Sorry Lately' is one of my favourites but the song that really impresses me is the flop single 'Hail Mary', with it's big production, but ultimately a gentle ballad, and one of Mark's all time greatest songs that really should have been a huge hit for the baby-faced man. The one single that was a sizeable hit (briefly dipping into the top 30) was 'Making Out', which was the real feel-good pop song here, and another standout. In a fair world, it should have become an anthem for the summer.

If you enjoy Mark Owen as a solo artist, then this album (ultimately his least successful) is something of a real work of art, and well worth the price you may have to pay for what is currently something of a rarity.
on 28 April 2005
Wow! I purchased the album this week after seeing Mark in Manchester a few weeks ago and after just 24 hours of the album being in my hands, I am already a big fan of it. "Green Man" didn't do much for me really apart from Clementine, and "In Your Own Time" was a very listenable album, but his latest work is a total triumph and one that Mark should be very very proud of. Tracks to shout about could easily include all of them, but I really do favour "They Do" "Hail Mary" and the intro to "Wasting Away" is just beautiful, I remember hearing that for the first time at the gig and the whole room stood silent in awe of its great craftsmanship. Mark has proven with writing and co-writing this entire album that he is truly a great songsmith and I can't wait for future work from Mark. He certainly hasn't fallen and I think he'll be in the industry for a long long time.
on 23 March 2006
Sitting in my friends room, three songs came on in a row. I believe they were four minute warning, child and believe in the boogie. I was instantly entralled. I asked him who it was that I was listening to, never expecting the answer I was to hear...Mark Owen...yes, ex of Take That Mark Owen! So decided to get his album and give it a go and to be honest, the boys done good. I honestly believe that had he never been in Take That, Mark would have a much better reputation and solo career then he does now. One thing he does have is far more talent then Robbie Williams. Give Mark a shot and I am sure you will be pleasently surprised.
on 10 April 2005
I've been a fan since day one and he never disapoints! Every track is one for the "repeat" button and if like me, when it isn't in your Sterio at home, it'll be in your car. Buy it and support him so we can keep having more of the same! Saw him in a gig recently - He really delivers, just like his album.
on 28 April 2005
Buy this album - you'll be so glad you did....
The songs are all very different but all equally excellent from the jaunty 'Waiting for the Girl' to the beautiful 'Sorry Lately'. Mark puts huge emotion in to all his songs and the result is outstanding.
Should you have any pre-conceived ideas about Mark's music, leave them at the door. I promise you that by the second listen, you'll love it.
on 18 April 2007
This is an excellent album and highly recommended. It's very different to Mark's 1st album "Green Man" - which I also enjoyed - which had a very Britpop feel to it and in some ways feels quite dated 10 years down the line.

In "How the Mighty Fall" Mark has discovered his individual style and his confidence certainly shines through. However this is far from comfortable listening in places and demands the full attention of it's listener. With a much harder sound, quirky and emotional in parts, this is one of the most unique albums I have heard in a long time. Every track is exceptional and lovingly crafted - there are no fillers here - and perfectly suit Mark's distinctive vocals. Listening to the descriptive and heartfelt lyrics one wonders just how much success and critical acclaim both it and he would've received if the money had been there to promote it to a wider audience. One also wishes one had discovered it a lot sooner.

If you like the more rockier songs on Take That's "Beautiful World" or some of the plethora of singer/songwriters around at the moment give "How the Mighty Fall" a listen. There's a good chance you'll like it.
on 25 August 2005
I was a bit worried when I first went to listen to this album as I had enjoyed Green Man and In you own time so much that I was not sure that this could compare but I was wrong to worry and it hasn't left my cd player since!
Just listen to the well written lyrics and sit back and enjoy!
on 25 April 2005
The diversity of this album shows just what a versatile entertainer Mark is.There is something for everyone on this album and Marks voice is stunning.
on 21 March 2008
Another Master piece by Mark Owen! After "In Your Own Time" I thought "this is it, this is as good as it gets" and this album just proves me wrong...its totally BRILLIANT, FANTASTIC, the only bad thing about it is that is TOO SHORT! Just 10 songs, after the last one, you really really will want some more!
I definitelly recommend it, with the released singles of the album, which include amazing B-sides.
The best Buy ever!
on 19 January 2007
Mark Owen is not the world's best singer, but most of us already know that. But who cares because he is a fantastic song writer... this album proves it. It is the happiest album I have heard in a long time. Mark has a real talent. It is a pity this album didn't get more radio play. As a result, Mark's solo career never really took off. But this album is amazing and he definitely should have got some number 1 singles out of it, if only more people had heard the songs.

Take That have a new album out. On that album is a song called 'Shine'. Many people love 'Shine' and say it is the best Take That song ever... but knowing Mark's other songs, I am sure this is completely his work. So if you love 'Shine' then you really will love Mark's 'How the Mighty Fall' album.