on 16 February 2006
I bought this for myself a week or so ago, although I couldn't use it until the other day because I had to order the batteries, and let me say it was well worth the wait! The light is strong, the sound is great and it's great fun for the child at heart.
The batteries, however, aren't included - AG13 batteries are also known as LR44 as I learnt later - they're not ordinary batteries but buttons cells, and pretty expensive. Amazon sell them however, and I was about to buy a packet of 10 of around £5, so don't despair.
A great gift for any Doctor Who fan.
on 22 December 2005
Just to let you know, the batteries that are required (packet says AG13) are actually more commonly known as LR44 - readily available everywhere. Hope that helps.
on 3 August 2017
Previously when I got this back in 2012, it was the actual End of Time Sonic Screwdriver. However, when I received it today, I got the cheap international rerelease (Which you can get for around £11 on this exact website). Not only that it was the wrong one, it also doesn't work. As soon as I got it out of the box, the light was on... without my finger on the button. The noise will rarely play when I press the button; also with noise playing rarely, the light will flicker on and off. As I mentioned earlier, the one I got is a cheap rerelease, which you can get around £11, I feel I got ripped off...
on 18 March 2017
Great doctor who toy. Good sound effects and light - even if the light is a little bluish-purplish (for the UV functions) rather than the lighter brighter blue in the series.
on 27 December 2015
I bought this for my 8yr old son, he is into all things to do with the 10th doc, David Tennant era, he loves it, it has not left his hand since he opened it on Christmas morning, that makes it a winner in my book, However I do fail to see how it cost as much.
on 7 July 2006
As a long-time Doctor Who fan I just couldn't resist getting one of these, and I honestly don't regret it. It looks good, and the UV light and ink is a neat touch. Some people have complained that the sounds are too quiet, but I think they're just about right. The two sounds are subtly different (but very authentic) and you have to listen closely to tell them apart.

What's amazing is that the BBC reportedly have started using these in the new David Tennant series as they are more durable than the real prop! (the toy is about half an inch longer than the real prop as it has to accommodate sounds and batteries).

Also, contrary to the Amazon product description, it appears that the BBC are now supplying these with batteries as standard, and they have also begun re-supplying them in new packaging featuring David Tennant.

If you're a doctor who fan of any age, I would recommend this to you. Well worth the investment of a tenner.
11 Comment| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2017
Great quality. Came exactly when you said!
on 12 January 2007
For Yule 2006 I recieved one of these toys as a gift. It appears to be the second revision of the Sonic Screwdriver pen, as it has David Tenant on the packaging and comes with batteries.

It is very well constructed, with nice molded texturing on the barrel (which makes it comfortable, if a bit large to write with), a sliding button that does not move around too readily, so once it's open it stays open, and good heft. The sound chip's volume is loud yet not annoyingly so, and the brightness of the UV LED is perfect for the UV-sensitive ink as well as detecting UV-reactive objects (hint: betta fish are not UV reactive, but many dishwashing detergents are).

I plan on using it as a cosplay prop in the near future, and I'm pleased enough with it that I even carry it around with me from time to time. It was quite a hit at a _Doctor Who_ marathon I attended a few weeks ago.

I do have one request, though: Please start carrying the replacement nibs for this product. At some point they're going to run out, and I'd like to easily get new ones at such time.
on 3 October 2005
I've got a vast collection of toy laser guns and hasbro lightsabers at home, but none of them compare with the sheer joy of an electronic replica of the Doctor's 2nd favourite piece of technology! Well, all I can say is FANTASTIC. Years and years I've been waiting to finally get my hands on my own Sonic Screwdiver, and now I finally have one!
This is a brilliant little gizmo and great fun for anyone who sees you with it. You just can't resist picking it up and zapping the nearest lock! Not only that, it's refreshing to have a TV show toy that isn't a gun of weapon of some sort. So if you're a parent trying to raise your kids with the right moral values, this is the perfect gadget!
My only criticism of it would be that the main shaft/handle does feel a little flimsy, especially when you extend the screwdriver head. But the interchangeable UV/black nibs, cool zapping sound effects, free Doctor Who post-it note booklet and sheer enjoyment of owning one of these make any imperfections pale into insignificance.
Oh, and here's a cool little tip. UV light can charge any glow-in-the dark phosphorescent material much quicker than a conventional light. So if you have a glow-in-the-dark mobile phone cover, room decorations or any other glowing objects, use your screwdriver to charge it up in a matter of seconds!!!!
on 26 July 2006
I am using my parents account for this and will probably review other items. This is a great toy that made me feel like I was doctor who (there is nothing else about me that justifies that) It comes with 2 nibs, (a simple biro and a UV pen) and a UV light. Although in a few episodes (eg. doomsday) there is a range of noises, the one noise on here is extremely authentic.

My favorite part has to be the "zoom" factor for the UV light, as you can use the light from a close range by slotting the cube on the side upwards (If you dont know what I mean then it does not matter)

My only criticism is that the UV pen is only suited to writing in the little booklet the screwdriver comes with. It comes up weakly on other surfaces.

Overall a great toy for young kids (like me) and doctor who collectors
11 Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse