Format: DVD|Change

I wasn't all that excited about seeing this movie - but it did feature Cedric the Entertainer as well as cheerleaders, so I went ahead and watched it. I knew the film would be pretty stupid - and it was - but I have to admit I was rather pleasantly surprised by Man of the House (and not only because I happily discovered that Monica Keena was also in it). Putting the dour-faced Tommy Lee Jones in the middle of five giddy cheerleaders is definitely good for some laughs, and the characters really started to grow on me after the first half hour of extremely stereotyped characterization finally faded away. Texas Ranger Roland Sharp (Tommy Lee Jones) stalks around like he's impervious to any danger, and the cheerleaders are seriously dumbed down when we first meet them - this superficial treatment doesn't do the movie any favors coming out of the gate.
Here's the basic story. Five University of Texas cheerleaders witness the murder of a government witness being sought by Sharp to testify against some high-level criminal. Thus, the girls are the only witnesses that stand in the way of Mr. Moneybags' freedom from prosecution - despite the fact that they can't even begin to come up with a description of the man they saw pull the trigger. Sharp is given the job of protecting the girls, which makes him the girls' newest roommate back on campus. The girls, being silly cheerleaders, don't think they are in danger and balk at everything the ultra-serious Ranger asks them to do. He, of course, has a problem with their skimpy outfits (for reasons I certainly can't fathom), unmentionables in the bathroom, etc. Eventually, though, they develop a sort of friendship, with the girls helping Sharp reconnect with his daughter and woo a lady professor and Sharp loosening up and having a little bit of fun.
There are some pretty funny scenes in the film, especially when Sharp is playing the part of the new assistant cheerleading coach (and getting some cheers of his own at one of the football games). I was a little disappointed that Cedric the Entertainer had a much smaller role than I expected, but that man always makes the most of his minutes. I do wish the film had been set at some other university than Texas because I don't like their coach (who, fortunately, didn't appear in the film - although Texas Governor Perry did have a quick cameo) and because their cheerleaders have some of the most unappealing cheerleading outfits I know of. Still, this is a funny movie that makes for a surprisingly enjoyable way to spend a little over an hour and a half.
on 28 July 2012
I saw this on the movie channel but unfortunately missed it. The film has a great cast comprising of Tommy Lee Jones who plays a Texas Ranger called Roland Sharp, Christina Milan who plays a cheer leader called Anne and Cedric The Entertainer who plays an ex-con turned Priest called Percy.

The story is a group of cheerleaders who witness a murder. Roland the Texas Ranger is assigned to protect the girls and ends up moving in to their campus house. He is a traditional authorative protector who has to get control over the girls. The girls love to party, show off as much skin as possible, chat on their mobiles and well, be typical movie cheerleaders. Roland uses tactics to gain control over them (such as fitting a huge cooling system forcing the girls to completely cover up).

Roland changes the girls pushing them to respect themselves and do well at University and the girls likewise help Roland connect with his 17 year old daughter. Overall they both need each other.

The film is funny without being too silly. The story line is heart warming and solid and I would recommend this film to any American high school, Tommy Lee Jones or comedy film lovers.
on 20 March 2014
Very good! It was interesting to see Tommy Lee Jones performance in a comedy, but still maintaning his "hard man" image. I haven't seen any of his "Men in Black" series, but I'm sure he did as good a job. I'm not a fan of American teenage girls in films, although they did have their moments. A good story all round even though the plot was a little tongue in cheek. Well done, I recommend it to any TLJ's fans!
on 12 January 2014
well any one who has teenage girls can sympathise with tommy lee in this one ! ITS the usual plot ? man gets shot and the killer thinks he has got away with it.? There is always some body who sees you? In this cases 5 beauties cheer leaders ! so they have to be given protective custody and tommy is the minder pore man ?? they drive him crazy in every way great comedy . his deputies think there boat has come in being assigned with tommy to protect them too.if you like tommy lee jones you should love this!
on 18 February 2006
This movie incudes a great cast such as tommy lee jones and christina milian but this film was lacking something. This film doesn't really have a category because it was not a girly girl american cheerleader flick and it wasn't a murder investigation. It has a good plot on the whole but there wasn't much going on, it was very bland and tryed to fill up the time with useless things.
If you like simple mysteries that have you screaming 'it was him! Are you blind?' you will love this.
Give it a try anyways you may find you like it.
on 30 July 2014
I've come across this movie partway through a couple of times now on TV and each time I've caught part of it the scenes I saw were so funny I couldn't stop laughing and my belly hurt from laughing so much .... and that was literally after seeing about 5 minutes of the movie. Admittedly, I haven't seen the whole movie yet but it's sparked my interest enough to buy a DVD of it on here for a good price. In the scenes I saw I thought Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Archer were really good and I think both actors are as good in dramas / thrillers as they are in comedies such as this, which is more than can be said of a lot of actors.

So, I'm ordering a DVD of this now and can't wait to get it so I can watch the movie all the way through! Oh, by the way, I read Astrid's 1 star review on here and, even though everyone's entitled to their own opinions, of course, and everyone has different tastes, I have to say .... Astrid, lighten up love and get a sense of humour! This movie IS very funny, as is evident from most of the positive reviews for it on here, and either it's just not your cup of tea / are totally devoid of a sense of humour and / or you're just a stony faced sourpuss ! !
on 23 September 2012
This is a great upbeat comedy with smoking hot chicks and great acting and an interesting story ! The special features about cheer camp is also great as it show how awesome cheerleaders are in their athletic ability in the US .Great buy!!
on 22 February 2013
One of our favourite actors, onother one to add to my dvd collection. This dvd was offered as in used condition for £0.57p + p & p plays very well. Very Happy with purchase. Delivery was a little longer that expected but would use again.
on 23 August 2008
Tommy Lee Jones plays a police officer who protects some cheerleaders from criminals who want the cheerleaders dead because they witnessed a murder.He lives in a house with the cheerleaders and most of the humour of the film comes from the conflict between him and his old-fashioned values and the girls and their youthful outlook on life.Some action at the beginning and end of the film but on the whole a movie that is neither bloody or vulgar and that has subtle wit and well-developed characters and dialogue.
on 23 July 2006
This film was quite good, but it wasn't as funny a I thought it was going to be.

It is about some cheerleaders who witness a murder take place. The police are worried that the murderer will try and kill them because they saw it happen, so they send someone (played by Tommy Lee Jones) to protect them. They aren't allowed out of the house and they aren't allowed to do certain things.

It is about their life in the house and what goes on. There are some funny moments. It has a very good ending.