Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 March 2013
As per the strap line, this is a classic album and whilst its geat to be able ot get hold of it , the mastering does leave something to be desired and sounds little better than a straight to vinyl transfer. Cant help but feel there is a opportunity to do the Amon Duul 11 catalogue real justice if someone wants to pick up that baton
on 26 April 2009
Acid music from Germany circa 1970. Fine example of progressive rock and it's as good now as when I first heard it. Although now I don't take LSD but then again nobody's perfect.
VINE VOICEon 27 May 2010
Amon Duul II (and Amon Duul!) were part of the pioneering and uncompromising 1960s german radical music scene, they were one of a number of german and dutch bands that between 1968 and 1973 signalled there were innovative music scenes other than those in USA and UK.
Dance of The Lemmings to give it its UK translation came out in 1970, the second of a series of albums. In its vinyl original this was a double LP, and what attracted me initially was the absence of one whole side given to a `music exploration', and thus signified here was a band which had more than one idea, and possibly not one musician who would dominate.
This music on this album is happily not easy to categorise. Not as ponderous or cacophonic as some offerings from fellow germans, there is a melodic style permeating the work, at times almost light (my two favourite examples `Toxicological Whispering' and the preceding track `Stumbling over Melted Moonlight'.). Nor is it monotonous, with variations of the same chords (or discords played in different permutations). I drafted this review several ways and it seemed easier to list the negatives Amon Duul II were not; like I said not easy to categorise, but none the less a joy to listen to.
If you were around at the time and missed out on the german bands and are wondering if now is the time, or if born after those days and looking for a fine example of 1960/early 70's pioneering music, then this is worth a purchase. This one you can enjoy the music (and just not struggle with perceiving the underlying intellectual metaphors-there were plenty of those around in those days!)
on 6 June 2012
Take your time with this and you will be rewarded with a 70s classic guitar rock in a german style . also the singer sings in english which is helpful especially if the group want out of Germany reconition , the original double album had four real tracks split into parts that fused together I have this on cd and its great for long journeys in the car, it is a journey to the center of your ears.
on 7 January 2011
Marmite and "Krautrock" - you know what's coming next. Me? I daub the salty spread on anything, and wolf it down with gusto. I also listen to "Krautrock", whenever the unimaginative, dreary, bland, stagnant, fetid pool of pap that passes for music nowadays; gets me down.

Amon Düül are almost unreviewable, (is that a word? It is NOW!). If I had electrodes strapped to my nether regions, with threats to switch on "the juice" if I didn't review them, then I would sum them up thus. Not as discordant, (or 'unplugged'), as Karlheinz Stockhausen, not as melodic as the Beatles, more psychedelic than the Byrds, stranger than Wire. It's music that raids the cultural piggy-banks and comes up with a unique but 'difficult' end product.

I just LOVE it.
on 10 October 2014
One of my favourite albums of all time. Underground when we all were. Fantastic music.
on 1 February 2016