Format: DVD|Change

on 24 January 2004
I had planned on having a home waterbirth with my first child, and had done a lot of research on gentle birth choices, birth plans, midwives, etc.
I ended up giving birth in a hospital, but at least it was the natural, drug-free birth I had hoped for. I got this video in preperation for the birth of my secong child and I am absolutely delighted with it. My husband and son (now 16 months old) both watched it with me from beginning to finish. My son got so excited when he saw the babies being born, he was dancing through the room, clapping his hands and giggling away! My husband and I both teared up several times, the births filmed are so direct, honest, touching and beautiful.
Contains footage of home births, water births, family births, birthing center births, a hospital birth, a VBAC home birth, as well as very informative interviews with MDs, nurses, midwives, birthing partners, lay practicioners and mothers.
A must see for all every expectant parents, and a great way to prepare children for the birth of their new sibling.
on 4 November 2009
The DVD shows real life situations of women giving birth in a relaxed environment, in home birth centres (in America). The clips show the last parts of labour, showing the actual births. The films are raw and moving because of this. Women are free to go through their labour naturally with their birthing partners and the DVD captures this brilliantly.
on 15 November 2010
Told from an American perspective, this DVD extols the virtues of midwifery-led birthing as opposed to the current transatlantic practice of obstetrician-led care. Thus some of the points made are not relevant to the British experience. However, other statistics are revealing, especially for those who think that technology holds all the answers. The birthing scenes are shown sensitively, though it would have been nice to have seen a placental delivery, as this is often an after-thought for many.
Production-wise, it all seemed a bit dated, with big hair and glasses from the 1990s. The sound quality was not good, either. That said, the experts chosen (including the renowned Michel Odent) were cogent and compelling.
Overall, it was disappointing despite one or two highlights.
on 1 February 2015
It's American and does not reflect midwifery practice in UK. I feel sorry for American women if this is the best experience they can manage to find. Yuck.
on 5 September 2010
i bought this dvd as it had a full review.. but didnt realise how old it was an how outdated some of the information is! Nice births tho
on 10 January 2015
All American, I wanted something British for teaching.
on 1 September 2004
I didn't find this video very informative, it did cover all of the different choices of labour but i don't think it went into them enough. I also found that the video was over basically before it had started.
on 21 May 2015