Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 5 March 2012
These days, sex comedies and gross-out movies abound, ploughing an ever-deepening trough of brainless smut. But Porky's was different. Sure, we're not talking a sophisticated, nuanced work of art - but it doesn't need to be to achieve its aims of entertaining us with high-school situations that most people can relate to. What sets Porky's apart from so much dross is its way with the characters, who are for the most part likeable. Writer/Director Bob Clark deserves a lot of credit for creating people who we will actually care about and believe in - pretty rare in a genre where most film-makers seem to think that audiences are so dumb (or stoned) that by merely by serving up lots of nudity/fart gags, etc, they are doing enough to justify the price of admission. Unlike so many of these films, Porky's has a quiet sense of nostalgia, and even a morality that would surprise the prudes who routinely condemn such films.

Porky's remains a very funny, sometimes touching look at high school life. The sequels are also worth watching, if not quite as good. I'd highly recommend the box set, The Ultimate Collection, for its extras, particularly the documentary with Bob Clark. Revisit these early 80s movies, and enjoy them again.
on 30 December 2010
For you lovers of American Pie ..... it was all being done thirty years ago. When I was a teenager this was the "must see" film of the day. There are so many highlights its impossible to list them all. You will need to watch the movie to understand them all in context but in particular you will be close to tears at a very young Kim Cattrall in the "gym mistress howling from the locker room" scene, Peewee trying to do the boiled egg trick to Meat, the gang lining Pee Wee up for a sexually enlightening session with a prostitute only to get the fright of his life, the teachers discussion with Miss Ballbricker about holding a trouserless line up to identify the boy who pushed his todger through the overflow in the girls showers and so the list goes on.

American Pie, Dude Where's My Car, Road Trip, Van WIlder .... none of those films would have been produced if Porky's hadn't blazed the trail and created its own genre for purile, smutty, teenage movies. Its still as funny today as it was all those years ago. Watch it and prepare yourself for aching sides.
on 30 March 2013
I remember watching this movie many years ago, when I was young and stupid. Now, being old and equally as stupid, I decided to revisit this 80's gem to see if it still had the power to crack me up. I am happy to report that it most definitely has. There are many laugh-out-loud moments....(the 'Lassie' incident, anyone?), but for me, the scene in the Principle's office 'post shower room' is the jewel in the Porky crown. I literally ached afterwards! Insanely, I replayed the scene 3 or 4 times, a decision my ribs and stomach muscles regretted considerably! If you haven't seen this movie yet, and you are into the bawdy humour of the American Pie type comedies, then I can strongly recommend that you put this on your 'must see' list. Porky's [DVD] Brilliant!
on 20 August 2014
The limitless exposure of jelly-wobbling front-bumpers and the glistening flash of furry young tail, has us all of a quiver, and certainly puts lead in the old pencil... but having said that - YOU'VE GOT TO HAVE SOMEONE TO WRITE TO!
88 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2014
I had been waiting for this transfer for years and was delighted when I saw a Blu-ray Steelbook release, which looks good but even better inside with the "Get It At Porky's" neon sign. Inside the Steelbook there is a booklet about the making of the film and an exclusive interview. But I am still disappointed that the other 2 Porky's films haven't been released on Blu-ray in the UK yet.

The picture transfer is good for a film from the 80's and I was actually pretty happy about the picture, as I wasn't expecting too much. The film is 5 stars, but the sound "transfer" loses a star as it hasn't been updated. It's 1.0 Mono audio, not even 1.0 Mono HD. The audio sounds ok but I don't understand why it hasn't been updated to a 5.1 DTS HD Master audio as most do.

I've always wanted to see some extras from the film, like a making of or cast interviews, so again I was disappointed that all you get is a bloke who had nothing to do with the film talking about teen sex comedies, such as Animal House and American Pie, which is pointless. Plus there is an interview with the director Bob Clark, which is ok and the 3 Porky's film trailers.

Overall the film transfer is decent but the lack of good extras and not updating to HD sound loses a star but still worth owning if you like the film.
on 25 January 2014
The plot of Porky's is of course wafer thin. Sex starved teens after sex. There's also some type of revenge plot going on with the owner of Porky's who screwed them over. But the success of the film is that the kids playing in it play if for laughs. The whole cast come across as if they are having a ball and really enjoying themselves and this comes over in the film. There are plenty moments of laughter- 'has anyone seen Mike Hunt?'

All in all Porky's the very original one is very good and holds up well. Look out for a young stunning brunette by the name of Kim Cattrall.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 July 2016
Still SO funny after all this time.Its like visiting a long lost friend.
The blu ray has been remastered and looks very very good.
With a few extra,s bonus wise i really recommend this title.
Along with Lemon Popsicle of this genre,its my favourite comedy(aswell as Dumb and Dumber) of all time..
Think Grease with TITS
Long may Peewee and Meat reign
on 29 September 2006
i would also argue that this is the best film of its genre. Its smutty, its still funny and it still stands up, bits and pieces show their age, the film is over 30 years old after all but this for me is the best of its kind.
Its obscene , its funny and I can relate on some levels when I was at high school , not all levels thankfully.
on 9 May 2014
I think this is what you call a comedy compared to the so called comedy films of today. Bawdy, racy and lots of laughs this is one of my favourite films so many funny bits in the film there is too much to mention but if it's a laugh you want then buy this as it won't disappoint.
on 15 September 2016
It's been years since I saw this film and enjoyed every minute of it all over again, but it isn't one for everybody. Being on blue Ray is a definite advantage but improving the picture quality must be near impossible that doesn't distract from the film itself.