Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 September 2015
Dylan's third album sounds to me not as wonderful as the previous one, but includes the title track and some others that would mark their era. Musically is tougher and darker than the second album, and maybe also less pleasant
on 4 July 2011
Dylan's third album is the peak of his protest phase. Full of heart-wrenching stories of inequality and poverty (Hollis Brown, North Country Blues) its clear, bitter lyrics cut right to the quick and have lost none of their ferocity in the intervening years. In contrast I think that When the Ship Comes In is one of Dylan's most uplifting songs and Restless Farewell one of his most defiant. This is one of the eessential Dylan albums (along with Highway 61 Revisited, Blood on the Tracks, Infidels and Time Out of Mind) There is no filler on this record - I would recommend an uninterrupted, close listen of these vibrant, pertinent lyrics and the spare playing that accompanies them. You won't be disappointed.
on 24 December 2014
Classic album delivered quickly
on 27 September 2005
Possibly Dylans darkest work, this album is full of acoustic work that is is simply amazing. It is not a 'feel good' album, with dark songs such as 'Only a Pawn in Their Game', 'Ballad of Hollis Brown' and 'The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carrol', all the songs on this album tell stories. The songs that realy stand out are 'The Times They are A-Changin', 'Spanish Boots of Spanish Leather' and 'When the Ship Comes In'.
In short: Buy this album.
on 17 May 2013
This was recorded 50 years ago. Makes you think... Not his first either, but for me, one of his best. The songs are sublime, and mean so much to me over the years.

I play in folk clubs and The Ballad of Hollis Brown has been a song I have played through the years and is as harrowing now as ever. Boots of Spanish Leather is one of my personal favourites, and God on our Side is possibly the song that influenced me most as a young teenager to reject superstition, and for that I am very grateful.
on 14 April 2003
This is Dylans protest album and is my favourite Dylan Cd, granted I haven't heard them all but I have heard all of the ones from the 60's and 70's.
This CD is all acoustic with a little bit of harmonica thrown in for good measure. The opening track lives up to it's name and is one of Dylan't most famous thought provoking songs ever. The lyrics are fantastic with my favourite being "Come mothers and fathers Throughout the land, And don't criticize What you can't understand, Your sons and your daughters Are beyond your command"
All of the songs are excellent 5 star material music. However if you want some happy Dylan music then I recommend you leave this page and buy `Blonde on Blonde`.
My personal favourite songs are `With god on our side` and `the lonesome death of Hattie Carroll`. The latter is Bob showing his outrage at the justice in this country
"William Zantzinger, who at twenty-four years
Owns a tobacco farm of six hundred acres
With rich wealthy parents who provide and protect him
And high office relations in the politics of Maryland,
Reacted to his deed with a shrug of his shoulders
And swear words and sneering, and his tongue it was snarling,
In a matter of minutes on bail was out walking."
The real masterpiece on this album though is `with god on our side`. Dylan just lists off wars and how both sides have `god on their side` he goes one further though and after pondering makes a bold statement
"In a many dark hour
I've been thinkin' about this
That Jesus Christ
Was betrayed by a kiss
But I can't think for you
You'll have to decide
Whether Judas Iscariot
Had God on his side."
outrageous? yes
tongue in cheek? yes
bitter ? yes
brilliant? absolutely
this track clocks in at just over 7 minutes and has a lot of use of his harmonica.
everybody should own a copy of this cd as it is true excellence.
My only complaint about this album is that `with god on our side` should have been the last track. This would have been the perfect end to a perfect album. As he states with absolute certainty the last lines of the song
"If God's on our side he'll stop the next war"
on 12 June 2011
Many years ago when I was a young filly, my X used to play me Dylan albums and make various comments on them. As much as i liked the sound, i never really listened to the lyrics, but I never forgot what my X said to me.
Now revisiting Dylans albums some 20 years later, I can see what my X saw, maybe a little late, but thanks Keith, but more so, thanks to Dylan,..
Buy this album.. and REALLY listen to it...
on 30 December 2015
I play this every spring when the clocks go forward and in autumn when they go back again
on 28 March 2013
Always loved this album...it's a must for any Bob Dylan fan. Bought it when I was 14 and it taught me more about life, bigotry, love and, as the title suggests, the changing of time than I thought possible.
It's one of those albums that gets into you....and never leaves.
on 14 September 2015
One of Bob Dylan's finest songs and most appropriate for today's ever changing world. This is a classic song which gives hope to those filled with despair who felt the future was bleak. I highly recommend this anthem.