Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 June 2005
I had to write this review as I can't believe some of the things I've been reading on here about this excellent album. A lot of people are saying this should have been a12 or 15 track single CD album. It completely astounds me that people want LESS material on an album! After all how many single CD albums do you know of where every track is the best thing you've ever heard in your life? Even the best of albums can have it tracks you might just skip past when you don't have the time. For the regular price of around £8.99 we get two very high quality offerings from Dave Grohl and the boys. I have everything that Foo Fighters have ever released and I personally think this is right up there with the best of them. It also gives Dave the chance to show off the truly great voice he has when he's not doing the trademark Foos 'snarly' tracks!
CD1 goes along at a blistering pace, with standouts for me being Best Of You, DOA, Hell, Deepest Blues Are Black, End Over End and the best of the lot No Way Back. I have already seen them perform these tracks live, along with other classics such as Everlong and Monkey Wrench and they stand up perfectly alongside them.
As everyone knows by now, CD2 takes a more sedate path. It's perfect music for the heatwave we're promised shortly. Highlights include Virginia Moon (featuring Norah Jones), Cold Day In The Sun (sung by drummer Taylor Hawkins) and the hauntingly beautiful Razor (featuring the guitar god that is Josh Homme). It's a great contrast to the usual Foos offerings and I think they pull it off brilliantly.
I hope the band don't read some of the reviews this album has got (not just from Amazon customers I hasten to add.. even NME accused them of over-stretching!), as I fear they might never try something like this again, and in my opinion that would be a crying shame. I like to see bands taking chance like this, instead of producing the same stuff over and over again.
Overall this is two high quality albums for the price of one, and if you're having any doubts about buying it I urge you to put them aside. Don't miss out on this one
on 1 September 2005
This album is a breath of fresh air for a longtime Foo Fighters fan. A superb return to form after an album ("One By One") that had me wondering if the best of the Foo Fighters had already been and gone. For me, "One By One" was a little too polished and pop conscious, and apart from a couple of classics ("All My Life", "Have It All" and "Times Like These") it seemed like the Foo Fighters, only less so. This has been the trend since "The Colour and the Shape" which originally convinced me that they were a truly great group.
In my opinion "In Your Honour" moves the Foo Fighters into a new dimension, and makes them serious contenders for the most important Rock group of their generation. Back in force are the powerful anthems that they do so well. The arrangements are as skilled as you would expect from Dave Grohl, and the band is tighter than ever, with some superbly controlled drumming and simple, relentless basslines. Put simply, Disc One rocks!
On Disc One, highlights include the great singles "Best of You" and "DOA", and the wonderful "Hell" which features screaming, anguished vocals over a rhythmic, celtic inspired guitar melody line. At less than 2 minutes long it leaves you wanting much more. "Free Me" is a dark riff-based cracker, and its momentum builds perfectly to a truly great finish. "The Deepest Blues Are Back" enters with strummed acoustic guitar and surprisingly sweet vocals, and you might think it belongs on Disc Two, until the chorus explodes. "In Your Honour" and "No Way Back" are also excellent.
Disc Two is an entirely different animal, and it may take a bit of time for many fans to get into, but whilst it marks a totally new direction for the band (and one that doesn't always seem to work) it remains true to their sound, and rewards repeat listening. It includes some of the most profound material they have ever produced, and the acoustic guitars and restrained vocals produce a far more intimate experience. The opener "Still" is a haunting and melancholy ballad, puntuated with huge bass, that never seems to drag its feet despite the slow tempo. "Friend of a Friend" is a brooding piece that uses harmonies more reminiscent of Nirvana than the Foo Fighters, and it seems possible that it is a reference to Kurt Cobain's tortured final weeks. "On The Mend" has a sweeping, almost epic feel and drives along brilliantly over tight and rhythmic bass and drums, with sparkling picked acoustic guitar throughout - beautiful. "Virginia Moon" is a duet with Norah Jones, and is the only number that really doesn't sound like the Foo Fighters at all, but that isn't a bad thing. "Razor" is superb, featuring only Dave Grohl, singing and accompanying himself with excellent fingerstyle guitar work. Disc Two features more than a couple of relatively weak pieces, but overall is a real success.
I have a feeling that I will be listening to this album as keenly in ten years as when I first heard it - both discs.
This is an important album, and one which I can recommend with no hesitation, to longtime fans and new alike.
on 26 February 2016
Great album, and great value for money. I have to say I do prefer the first disc to the second, but the second disc is free and it is good so I really do not understand why anyone would complain for having a second disc they did not have to pay for. You can go wrong getting this simply for song like The Best OF You, and In Your honor, and Resolve. I fact I cannot say an bad thing about any of the song on the first disc but those are my faverites and really stand out for me. Yes the second disc is full of slow songs but again they are still good songs. Would I have paid for the second disc separately probably not, but if one of these songs way on I would I would listen to it. No complaints from me.
on 28 May 2006
After the ineveitable collapse of grunge giants, Nirvana,following Kurt Cobain's suicide, no one really expected a great deal from the remaining members of the band. Sure enough, bassist Krist Novaselic dissapeared. Drummer Dave Grohl, however went on to form the band Foo Fighters with the help of former Sunny Day Real Estate bassist Nate Mendel and drummer William Goldsmith. Dave also brought in Nirvana's former live bandmate, guitarist Pat Smear. In the mid-90s they released a self-titled debut that became Kerrang! Magazine's album of the year. They followed subsequently with 1997's "The Color And The Shape" despite the departure of Goldsmith. The band went on to release "There Is Nothing Left To Lose" in 1999 with a new drummer: Taylor Hawkins. For 2002's solid "One By One" album, the band was now in the lineup they are in today with Chris Shifflet on guitar now.

2005, and the band decide to risk it all on a 2-Disc double album. This could have been a mistake as some bands would have been watered down by having to make twice the standard amount of songs. However, "In Your Honor", in my opinion, is the band's best effort and a worthy gift to it's fans. The first disc is dubbed as being the "loud" one. This is quite so as it delivers a self-titled intro to rival "All My Life" as their greatest opener. The album continues through the 10 tracks strongly with the highlights being the singles "No Way Back", "Best Of You" and "DOA". Other great songs from this disc include "The Last Song", in the making since 1997, "Free Me", arguably the loudest song on the album and the single "Resolve". And that was just the first CD!

The "not so-loud" CD is also 10 tracks long and if the first CD was great, then this one is surely genius. It was apparently so good that improvements had to be made to the first CD to make it allign with this one. My personal favourites are "Another Round", "Still" and "Miracle". Many special guest musicians are incorporated into this masterpiece, including Norah Jones's beautiful vocal accompanyment on "Virginia Moon". Taylor Hawkins even gets his first vocals on "Cold Day In The Sun".

In conclusion, this is an album that can be enjoyed on many levels. Whether, your a hard-rocker or not you can still appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of these songs and that is what makes this the Foo Fighters's best effort yet. Long may they go on!
on 27 January 2006
A double album one rock, one acoustic creates the best one yet but only just. The rock side is amazing No Way Back, D.O.A., Best Of You and The Last Song are probably the best songs the foo's have done. In Your Honour (the song) is an epic of an opener and End Over End is a terrific album closer to settle all things rocking. The acoustic side however for me is boring with only Razor, What If I Do and Cold Day In The Sun being the only songs I can listen to without yawning but if your into acoustic songs you should find it good enough. I only wish they took the aformetioned acoustic song and put them on 1 disc and it could have been an classic. I fought about giving this review 4 stars but the rocking side is just so good it makes it 5 stars. I truly think this is the best album they've done & worthy to be in anyones cd racks.
on 16 June 2005
This is the first album I have bought from the Foo Fighters, who I have only recently been introduced to by a friend. This would mean that the only songs I have heard from them are the ones in this album.
The style of this album maintains a balance of rock, harmonic sounds, and a very nice voice. It manages to hang on the edge of pure rock and keep some style to it so it isnt just noise.
In short, its a wonderful album. The single released from this, Best of You, is exceptionally well done. This one, unlike the others of the heavy rock album, gives suspense. It starts off with a sweet melody and an airy feel, and then hits the wall of drums, guitars and a solid bass that the Foo Fighters do so well.
The second CD really does add that extra something to this. I dont own another album like this, they are all rock or melodic acoustic types. The fact that these guys have done both and put them in the same album is great. Although the Acoustic CD isnt the best ive heard, the first CD really makes up for it.
Reading the other reviews, I can see that people who have heard the Foo Fighters before think little of the album. I can put this down to expectations and the previous albums must have been even better (I will be buying those.) So if you have been a fan of these guys for some time, this might come as a dissapointment for you. The rest of you, however, will love it.
If we didnt compare this album to anything else it is exceptional. I guess that is what Im trying to get across.
on 5 December 2005
"It's a shame we have to die my dear / no-one's getting out of here alive / This time..."
These words, their obvious gloom notwithstanding, are not sung, nor heard as pessimistic or depressive. They are shouted in triumph, a triumph that elevates the listener beyond what can be expected from a modern rock cd. "In Your Honour" is the best rock album I have heard in a long, long time, and Dave Grohl obvious joy of music and the in-your-face optimism in spite of current event (but not in ignorance of them) lifts this album far and beyond the rest. And the combination with cd 2, with the more mellow, accoustic songs is a definite winner, show casing the bands reach, artistically and musically.
on 19 June 2005
Foo Fighters fans have been waiting nearly three years for *In Your Honor*. It is an album that has been hyped by Dave Grohl for so long that it arrives having made life difficult for itself, with the task of having to live up to the frontman's declaration that it is the band's best album yet. It also contends with heavyweight double-albums; classic records like the Smashing Pumpkins' *Mellon Collie* and the Beatles' *White Album*. The publicity for *In Your Honor*, the 'one loud, one not-so-loud' double-album, has far exceeded that allocated to any previous Foo Fighters release, and expectations have duly been high.
*In Your Honour*, alas, does not reach the standards suggested by Grohl. The band cannot sustain a disc consisting of hard-rock songs without it wearing thin, and the acoustic efforts suffer from the same problem. The title track, which opens the first disc, echoes 'Aurora' and 'My Hero' without achieving their power or melodic hooks. The first single , 'The Best of You', is pounding but rather formulaic. 'The Deepest Blues are Black', with its pleasant-enough tune and slightly-grating lyrics, is indicative of the sort of inconspicuous tunes that constitute Disc 1: you would not call for any of these songs at a concert. Grohl's wish to write 'anthemic' songs has lent a sort of plodding heaviness to the record that is not desirable, but is occasionally shaken off, such as on the catchy 'DOA'.
Disc 2 is a little bit more satisfying than its predecessor. 'Razor', featuring Joshua Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, is the best song on the entire album. 'Virginia Moon', with Norah Jones on piano and singing, mis-fires completely, even sounding corny. Like the 'rock' disc, the acoustic record drifts along with tuneful but unmemorable efforts, such as 'What if I Do' - evocative of 'Ain't it the Life' - and 'Friend of a Friend', but it doesn't compel the listener to return.
Cynically, one might say that the shortcoming of *In Your Honor* is that Grohl was so taken with his two-disc concept and the idea of recruiting glamorous guests that he neglected to spend enough time writing songs. In the band's discography, *In Your Honor* ranks quite lowly: far below the consistency and freshness of *The Colour and the Shape* and the energy of *One by One*, it makes the listener long for the best moments of the previous albums.
The bonus DVD in the limited edition is not worth the extra expense. In its twenty minutes, the documentary proudly restates the band's delight at the concept of the double album, and the story of the Foo Fighters having their own studio built is unenlightening. As on the two discs of music, the bands fails to make clear what its grand vision was (the double album itself is not an original concept) and does not win us over with enthusiasm alone.
*In Your Honor*: for die-hard fans only.
on 19 June 2005
In this day and age with all the preview hype it is easy to get worked up and then have all your expectations blown to pieces when you hear the album. This was on the buy list but got sent it as a birthday gift. Disc 1 is a good solid album in its own right, though not necessarily moving things forward much. Disc 2 also seems fairly regular stuff. A blinding one CD album could have been made from all this material but as it is there is insufficient progression to make the 2 disc set reach that level.
VINE VOICEon 30 April 2006
Wow! I bought this cd on the day of release. And I have to say, that it really is my favourite cd so far. Dave Grohl wanted this album to be the one that is remembered in the future, and I think he has scored his goal with this.

By making this into a 2-disc album, it gave the Foo's some freedom to go all out rock on one cd, and acoustic on the second cd. The second set of songs will, I am sure, have even more poignance when seen live. But for me, rock is what the Foo Fighters are about and they have fulfilled that potential over and above anything previously released.

It opens up with the title track, In Your Honour. It shows you just what they are capable of and is a great beginning. Great tracks such as Best Of You, DOA, and Resolve all follow suit. All containing words of emotional intensity. It is as though, Grohl wants to show a little distance between these songs and some of his more comedic genius seen in the past.

The second cd is good as well, but for entirely different reasons. It contains several amazing songs, although Virginia Moon is possibly my least favourite Foo track thus far! Highlights of this disc are Cold Day In The Sun, Miracle, and Friend Of A Friend.

In Cold Day In The Sun, we are surprised with Taylor (the drummer if you didn't know) taking lead vocals. This gave the song a different quality and I really loved that. Miracle features a cameo role from Led Zeppelins John Paul Jones. It has a great muse behind the writing.

But clearly the best of disc 2 is Friend of a Friend. One of the most emotionally honest pieces of work they have ever released. I wonder how this will sound live, I imagine it would be the most difficult one to sing in such a setting, because the emotions must really hit home then.

Foo Fighters at their very best in this, their fifth album. Surely, all those who still harp on about the Nirvana thing being Grohls only real reason for success, have got to admit defeat and eat their own words now. Come on, this cd is absolutely amazing!