on 23 March 2013
I bought one of these and have also found it to be extremely well built. Having not experienced a major surge in my supply I cannot comment as to it's effectiveness.
As already stated you will need to measure the centre line of the two location holes as that stated in the leaflet is incorrect for the UK model.
For quickness and "accuracy" I made up a template for the two holes poking a bradle through to mark the wall ready for drilling.
I mounted my unit vertically leaving the wire protector inserted in the unit with just one hole exposed for the screw. This idea I thought less unsightly being closer and it offered some sideway support for that end also.
on 26 January 2015
Properly re-engineered for 21st century at last; well worth the extra over cheap 20th century alternatives.
on 22 August 2015
Does the job, been running a small nas and some network equipment on this for the last 6 months..
on 10 November 2014
Although I've only had this product for just over a month, I'm pleased to report that it's currently keeping everything nice and protected, but I'll update this review in the future regardless of whether or not that changes.
There are, however, a few additional things that make this a great choice.
Firstly, my research for a good surge protector for a custom built gaming PC led me to both APC and Belkin. After reading a few reviews about some of the Belkin surge protectors, I decided to go with APC mostly because of the reliable feedback I'd seen.
The APC Performance Surge Arrest comes with a 3 metre cable--a nice change from the usual 2 metre cables, four always on sockets--I found these great for things like chargers, giving you full access to phone charging while keeping larger equipment off and cable line protection, which I don't use, but is there just in case.
And now for the extra whistles and bells which I didn't need but have grown to love. The cord that attaches to the actual extension itself rotates. This essentially means it can be placed it almost any position while keeping the cable neat.
The two plugs on the end also face outward, which is phenomenally useful for using transformer plugs without blocking off an entire socket--not something I'd have ever thought I needed but a very welcome feature. The cable tidy at the end is great for keeping everything neat and also detachable if you don't want to use it.
Finally, the green display light telling you everything is okay and safe is dim enough not to cause any disturbance at night and also bright enough to see in complete daylight.

I honestly feel a great deal of thought was put into the design of this. While the dark grey colour may not be for everyone, I can't think of any reason not to use this if you want a combination of good protection and practicality. Good work, APC.

+3m Rotatable cord
+Phone line protection
+Sleek dark grey finish

5/5
on 9 May 2008
Extremely well built (no surprise there), and most importantly, it is very effective. I've tested this strip to see if it can filter EM noise and spikes and it preformed very similar to an ultra high expensive Monster surge suppressor.

So save you money and extend your equipments lifespan with this superb product. Better yet, if you have a device with HDD built-in (DVD recorder, PC, Sky HD/Sky+ etc...), get a quality UPS by APC instead ;-).
33 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2014
Had an APC Surgearrest Essential (a basic unit) in use since September 2013 protecting my Sky Satellite, Modem, Network Switch, etc. I needed another power protector for my computer about 3 metres away. I have always had good luck with APC products, but purchased another brand while I was at a local retailer. I thought I was saving time and money. Both the Surgearrest Essential and the other brand were plugged into the same duplex mains outlet. Within a week, there was an apparent surge and the other brand device failed (as indicated by the light), requiring replacement. This product replaces that other brand, and I could not believe the great price from Amazon Warehouse. I should have saved my money and bought a quality APC product in the first place.
on 29 September 2011
I had to replace my surge control on my PC as my previous one started to make strange noises after a lightning storm struck and it seemed to react to any light switches and various PC functions afterwards including intermitten beeping .
I like i would imagine most people assumed a surge unit was a surge unit,but after reading a review on here from someone qualified in this field all was revealed as to the different levels of protection offered by different units for different uses ,so i took his advice and purchased this ,all i can say at this stage it is very well made and if this and its price and specification are anything to go by then i have made the right decision.
on 20 November 2010
This is a brilliant piece of equipment and well worth the money. The layout of the sockets is great and it can accommodate those 'awkward' sized plugs with ease. The fact that four of the sockets are 'always on' is a real bonus and such a good idea. This means I can have my router, homeplugs and phone plugged in and turned on but turn off any peripheral devices such as my printer, scanner and electric razor! It can be mounted either vertically or horizontally though the instructions are none too clear about this and in fact the dimensions for the holes are incorrect - a small niggle but one to be aware of. I'm getting another one to mount side by side as I'm so impressed.....and have MANY plugs to find homes for ! If you are looking for an extremely competent surge protector this is the one for you.
on 20 May 2014
Great product from APC as usual, like I can switch off half the stuff (monitors, printers etc) when not needed, but always on sockets are there for chargers and main PC.

One word of caution, if wall mounting MEASURE the unit you receive, I used the template dimensions for UK product in the help guide and drilled hole in wall in the wrong place as dimensions were wrong! (different markets with different sockets means its a different size in other regions I assume and they mixed up dimensions).

The cord tidy is smart, and also wall mountable to take strain off the sockets for leads that exit the unit.
on 19 June 2014
Having finally having to choose a replacement surge protector for my previous battery back-up APC unit which had provided some years of use I chose the same trusted brand. This is a more basic unit but suits my current needs and hopefully will give the protection when needed but this parameter is not able to be assessed in normal operation - you need to have trust for when the occasion arises. The only negative feature from a personal use is having two plug sockets reversed in their alignment which means this for me the becomes a seven socket unit rather than eight.