on 23 April 2014
What a cast, what a performance - can't get any better. Totally brilliant - JUST BUY THIS AND BE AMAZED
on 5 October 2010
I had and enjoyed for years the two Abbado recordings. Then I thought; because I like to explore deferent interpritations; why not get the Lascala's Karajan one, thinking that it must be the ultimate Verdi's Requiem from the master him self (baring in mind that I had his Vienna P. version on CD), and as I tried to listen and convince my self that it is good, I had to make a comparison on the spot by playing immidiatly my Abbado's version, and what a defirence it was.
The sound of Karajan's version is nothing compared with Abbado's (particularly Abbado's latest interpritation) which immidiatly reduces the warmth and fire of the music and singing in the Karajan. If I knew this I would have saved my self the £12 to buy this Karajan's, because I already had a treasure, (this is even a reduced price) while believe it or not the Abbado is selling cheaper!!!
I urge any one interested in this magnificent reqiuem to try first the Abbado, in order to enjoy every thing about this beauteful piece of inspiring music, from a magnificent orchestra to a devoted conductor (unfortunately he was just recovering from illnes at the recording time and lost tremendous wieght) to a very enchanting four singers and chorus.
on 29 May 2016