Customer reviews

Blinking Lights And Other Revelations
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£7.90+ £1.26 shipping

on 1 April 2014
Previous Eels albums were good or even great, but this one is stunning. Despite being a collection of very personal songs that only Mr E himself can ever truly understand, he actually does a fantastic job of conveying his emotions and feelings through his music. He even goes one step further and manages to invoke in me, a strong feeling of nostalgia. It makes me think back to my childhood and all my happy memories, but most of all it captures a melancholic feeling of times gone by. The album cover perfectly summarises my feelings towards this album in a way that my words cannot. It takes me back to the summer evenings of my childhood, and that alone is a reason why this album deserves 5 stars.

Another reason, is that the song-writing is utterly incredible. When I first played disc 1 several years ago, I didn't listen to the second disc in about a week, because I was scared to feel disappointed. I wasn't. While both discs can be enjoyed separately, there is nothing quite like the feeling I get when I've listened to all one and a half hours of music. The end to this album is one of the most personal songs I've ever heard, and ties the whole album together in a superb ending.

For those new to Eels (where have you been?), this is the best he has to offer (some might argue also for 'electro-shock blues'), but it means unfortunately that its all downhill from here. E has never managed to release a piece of work quite like this since. If you enjoy rock, particularly 70s classic era songwriting then check this album out. If you need further convincing, check out 'Railroad Man', a work of brilliance!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 September 2011
Recorded over a 6 year period between 1998 and 2004, Mark Everett's 'compilation' Blinking Lights And Other Revelations is a brilliantly diverse and eclectic collection of pop gems (no less than 33 of them), taking in the whole gamut of previous Eels' styles, from heavy morbidity (Electro-Shock Blues) through to light and airy (Daisies of the Galaxy). With a pop music sensibility which is (to me) reminiscent of the likes of Belle and Sebastian, The Magnetic Fields, Chris TT, Edwyn Collins, etc, there is something for pretty much everyone here.

With an album sleeve full of family photos and handwritten jottings, Blinking Lights is clearly something of a personal concept album for Everett and the intimacy and poignancy of much of this music is one of its most lasting impressions. E has spoken of the album's link to all things godly.

Of course, throughout all these mixed emotions Everett still retains his sense of humour, as evidenced by his paying tribute to his dog (a Basset Hound/German Shepherd cross!) Bobby, Jr. who makes his recording debut with a howl at the start of Last Time We Spoke. Other notable (and more conventional) guests on the album include Tom Waits, Peter Buck (of REM) and John Sebastian (of Lovin' Spoonful fame).
on 6 November 2017
it's good but I've since been listening to a lot of rock of late as the music scene is evolving into something I'm not sure of
on 11 July 2016
This has been called E's Masterpiece, and I can see why. Not one bad song on the whole album, first class!. This is E coming to terms with the ups and downs of life.
on 28 July 2017
Good mixture of music styles. Great lyrics.
on 10 July 2016
Homemade EELS lovelyness
on 12 June 2013
Took me a couple of listens, as the tracks pass you by first time round, but give it time and you'll find this contains some of the most moving, haunting, sad, happy and uplifting songs you're likely to hear. On 2nd or 3rd listen it suddenly crashes in on your senses. Favourites are Railroad Man, Ugly Love and Understanding Salesman.
on 18 September 2017
Double the fun by Eels here.
on 14 September 2009
Electro shock is beautiful .....Beautiful freak is .....well beautiful and blinking lights for me tops both just purely by virtue there are so many great tunes....it could be a greatest hits.

This, for me is right up there purely subjective as music is...this is a prize among cd's buy and enjoy E's world
on 3 February 2016