Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 April 2014
Previous Eels albums were good or even great, but this one is stunning. Despite being a collection of very personal songs that only Mr E himself can ever truly understand, he actually does a fantastic job of conveying his emotions and feelings through his music. He even goes one step further and manages to invoke in me, a strong feeling of nostalgia. It makes me think back to my childhood and all my happy memories, but most of all it captures a melancholic feeling of times gone by. The album cover perfectly summarises my feelings towards this album in a way that my words cannot. It takes me back to the summer evenings of my childhood, and that alone is a reason why this album deserves 5 stars.

Another reason, is that the song-writing is utterly incredible. When I first played disc 1 several years ago, I didn't listen to the second disc in about a week, because I was scared to feel disappointed. I wasn't. While both discs can be enjoyed separately, there is nothing quite like the feeling I get when I've listened to all one and a half hours of music. The end to this album is one of the most personal songs I've ever heard, and ties the whole album together in a superb ending.

For those new to Eels (where have you been?), this is the best he has to offer (some might argue also for 'electro-shock blues'), but it means unfortunately that its all downhill from here. E has never managed to release a piece of work quite like this since. If you enjoy rock, particularly 70s classic era songwriting then check this album out. If you need further convincing, check out 'Railroad Man', a work of brilliance!
on 1 August 2005
If you are familiar wiht the work of E and Eels you will not be disappointed with this collection. There is a master craftsman at work here, and as usual he draws you into his world with songs that can be jolting or hauntingly beautiful. Mark Everett is a complex character who is able to express himself through his musical genius. An instant classic.
on 29 April 2005
I was a huge Eels fan after their first release "Beautiful Freak". However, their subsequent albums lacked the originality and flair of the debut. I was not sure about purchasing "Blinking lights and other revelations" as I had not heard a single song from it. All I can say is that it the *BEST* Eels album ever. The craftmanship and querky lyrics that marked them out in the mid 90s are back, as are the melancholic melodies. If you love Eels then you'll love this. If you've never heard anything by them before, buy this... it is an essential addition to any eclectic rock collection.
on 28 June 2005
Well worth getting especially if you like Daisies of the Galaxy and Beautiful Freak [and the eye-wateringly dark electro-shock Blues] - his best since Daisies.
Other reviewers have commented that the album isnt quite as original as the first three - there is some truth in this but still the album has a lot of good stuff on it.
The Eelstheband website has [at June 2005] a 4-track sampler you can listen to - make up your own mind !
on 2 May 2005
Having been disappointed by 'Shootenanny' this cd is a real return to form. There are moments of true genius , though I do think it fades in the last third.
Highlights for me are 'In the Yard, Behind the Church' and the aggressive 'Other Shoe', while 'To Lick Your Boots' and 'Sweet Lil' Thing' strike me as charming possible singles.
Add in some beautiful instrumentals and madness ('Mother Mary') and it's a heady mix.
As good as 'Electro Shock Blues' and 'Daisies'but not better
on 31 March 2006
To fill one album full of great songs is hard enough, but to make a double album this good is incredible. I had the good fortune to see the man live at a small, intimate gig in Auckland last year and the songs played live were real stand-outs. There is greater variety of musical styles here than one previous works and it just shows the depth of talent "E" has. I thought Beautiful Feak and SoulJacker could not be bettered but I was wrong. Awesome.
on 6 May 2005
This is not a crowd-pleasing album. Generally low-key, often melancholy and intensely personal it feels exactly what it is-a collection worked on (and worked out) as much for the artist as the public. As such it requires time and eventually rewards well.
Disc one is more acoustic, the tempo picks up on the second disc though, and with it the mood. Musically it is varied although always disctinctive. The final track is great, a strummed uplifting ode to truth and renewal.
Much more akin to Electro-Shock than any of their others I have a feeling that in a year or so this album will be played fairly infrequently, at least in its entirety. Like most double albums I think it could be edited, like some other Eels work it can sound a bit self-indulgent at times. Whatever these minor quibbles it is a serious piece of work that will satisfy existing fans pretty well.
on 30 August 2013
These album is an amazing piece of work. Each song is like a little story. The lyrics are very thought provoking and especially if you have ever lost anyone in your life. I have had this album on repeat since loosing my father in June. We always listened to 'Old Shit,New Shit' together and I feel he's with me as the music is so compelling. Get this album quickly is my advice!
on 12 June 2013
Took me a couple of listens, as the tracks pass you by first time round, but give it time and you'll find this contains some of the most moving, haunting, sad, happy and uplifting songs you're likely to hear. On 2nd or 3rd listen it suddenly crashes in on your senses. Favourites are Railroad Man, Ugly Love and Understanding Salesman.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 September 2011
Recorded over a 6 year period between 1998 and 2004, Mark Everett's 'compilation' Blinking Lights And Other Revelations is a brilliantly diverse and eclectic collection of pop gems (no less than 33 of them), taking in the whole gamut of previous Eels' styles, from heavy morbidity (Electro-Shock Blues) through to light and airy (Daisies of the Galaxy). With a pop music sensibility which is (to me) reminiscent of the likes of Belle and Sebastian, The Magnetic Fields, Chris TT, Edwyn Collins, etc, there is something for pretty much everyone here.

With an album sleeve full of family photos and handwritten jottings, Blinking Lights is clearly something of a personal concept album for Everett and the intimacy and poignancy of much of this music is one of its most lasting impressions. E has spoken of the album's link to all things godly.

Of course, throughout all these mixed emotions Everett still retains his sense of humour, as evidenced by his paying tribute to his dog (a Basset Hound/German Shepherd cross!) Bobby, Jr. who makes his recording debut with a howl at the start of Last Time We Spoke. Other notable (and more conventional) guests on the album include Tom Waits, Peter Buck (of REM) and John Sebastian (of Lovin' Spoonful fame).