Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

I had forgotten how great this work is. Generations of choristers have learned something of their Christianity from this deep well. The words are simple and appropriate -the musical setting is subtle and simple. I love many of the things that the organist is required to do. Stephen Farr never shows off. All the effects are beautifully conceived. I also want to pay a tribute to the tenor and bass soloists James Gilchrist and Simon Bailey. What excellent representation of the crucifixion in singing. The choir knows its business. Thanks Clare College, Cambridge and Timothy Brown. I just love to find the time to listen to this. Hope you enjoy this too.
on 6 July 2009
I am enjoying listening to this album having just bought it as a download. It reflects eternal doctrine and is presented in brilliant clear tones. I have no access to the written words but can follow the drama and the musicality very well. I would recommend this inexpensive album. It is true value for money.
on 8 March 2015
Nice to hear this done by top class singers when I had previously only heard it done by amateurs. However, good amateurs do sometimes have a warmth of faith that I do not always hear. Certainly a devotional aid for Holy Week and Good Friday.
on 11 April 2011
A great CD. Very moving music and a good production of this religious choral music. Such excellent value and amazed at the quality at this price. Would recommend to anybody searching for a CD of Stainer's Crucifixion. Impressed, too, with the speedy delivery of this item.

Stainer - The Crucifixion.
on 30 April 2012
Just what I needed to rehearse the Stainer's crucifixion which I sang with the choir before Easter. a very moving recording.
on 15 March 2013
I needed to replace my cassette tapes (they have distorted over time) and this version appealed to my ear the best. The sound quality is OK. The reason for the 5 stars is that the music is among my favourites
on 15 August 2012
This performance of Stainer's Crucifixion is certainly one to seriously consider when choosing to purchase a CD of this work. Particularly of note is the clarity of the words as well as the sensitivity to the subject matter.
on 9 January 2013
Sir John Stainer's Passiontide cantata was for years sneered at by critics of anything Victorian. Now they are forgotten, and The Crucifixion can once again be appreciated for what it is - a work designed for parish choirs who could not have attempted large scale Passion music such as that by Bach. The composer's skill in word setting, and his gift for writing memorable hymns to be sung by the congregation as well as the choir, ensure the work a lasting place in English Church music. The chorus "God so loved the world" is outstanding. This is a good, fresh performance with generally well judged tempi, clear diction and good solo singing. My sole reservation concerns the hymns, where there is too much unison singing which deprives us of the full enjoyment of Stainer's telling harmonic touches. That said, this moving recording should win The Crucifixion new admirers, and one cannot ask for more.
on 21 May 2014
I went to a rendition of this at St Michaels, Windmill Hill and just had to get the music for myself. This CD is excellent with all the words printed out so I can sing along!
on 24 March 2011
I think this is a great value for money CD have already played it three times Ideal to sing with before choir practice