on 22 January 2012
I have had a couple of these little players for a year now and they are both still working. One of them is sensitive to CD thickness and does not play the thinner CD-Rs I bought on the Asda and Amazon labels, but Sony CD-Rs play perfectly on both machines.

Over the period I have had a Philips CD player fail within ten days, and a costly Sony player has failed after a couple of years. My oldest CD player from Boots many years ago was obviously better made than modern offerings.

These Coby players allow you to play CDs with MP3 files on them, so you can listen to whole spoken books on one single CD - if someone burns a CD for you. Hence my interest in their use with CD-Rs.

My dead Sony recorder had the battery compartment inside, which meant taking the CD out to change the batteries. This Coby player has an external opening to the battery case and is much easier.

As others have mentioned the display is tiny to the point of none existence, but you can just about see the track number. You will need really good eyesight to see the track length and so on.

NO mains adaptor is supplied. I use a Goodmans adaptor left over from yet another failed CD player (I won't be getting any more products by Goodmans, Sony or Philips!).

Rechargeable NIMH AA batteries (two required) have a good lifetime but dont expect more than a short day before you need to replace them. The device does NOT charge batteries- as is usual the data sheet covers several models.

To turn the unit off hit the stop button twice- once will stop the CD but leave the display on, the second press removes power OR the display will power off after a short period anyway.

For the price I have found these players quite acceptable, and indeed, better value for money than other big name expensive devices.

UPDATE: I like these so much I have bought another one, and this one has no problems with CDRs at all. It was a grey import from the US (no guarantee, no WEE or CE marks) but that is hardly a problem at this price. Great device and recommended.

UPDATE 2: The grey import from America has been the first to fail - but only for battery operation, which makes suspicious me think the battery charger circuit (not in the European model) could indeed be better designed. The player still works with a 4.5v DC supply, although the player can get a little warm.

NOTE: The European model with the CE mark on the back has NO battery charging facility. The USA model does have a battery charging facility not noted in the documentation supplied, that needs great care as recharging alkaline batteries is extremely hazardous and at this price any charging circuitry must be very simple. When you open the lid to insert a CD, to the right of centre is a serrated black switch which turns the charger on or off. Ensure this is OFF if using alkaline batteries and also using a (not supplied) 200ma 4.5V external supply. If you are using NIMH batteries, the charging time will be quite lengthy. I have not tested it as the deliberate removal of the circuitry for European marketing worries me just a little.
on 18 March 2010
I know that CD players are rapidly losing ground to iplayers but this player in nicely put together, very reasonably priced, has excellent sound quality and has a number of neat touches, such as auto recharge of batteries when used on mains adapter. I like it.
on 17 August 2012
I bought this for my 91 year old mother-in-law who is virtually blind. Since she has had it, it's been working hard several hours per day as she listens to her audio books. She tells me that the controls are easy to use and the sound clarity is excellent. It gives her much pleasure. The only drawback is that is eats up the batteries.
on 6 June 2010
I bought this Coby CD player as a present for my wife as she enjoys listening to her CDs in bed. Good quality CD players are quite difficult to find in the high street shops but she is very happy with the Coby CD player.
on 27 August 2012
...or something similar I'm sure because it works perfectly!

Although it only got here a few days ago, it's had some decent use; a few hours every night.

I was surprised by the unit's responsiveness; I have had an MP3 CD player before (Sony portable hifi) that was very slow on detecting that it had an MP3 disk inserted, as well as being slow when skipping tracks and wouldn't fast forward though a track. This isn't a problem with this Coby player, which does everything as quickly as could be expected.

I was quite skeptical about buying from an unknown brand (never heard of them before this) but wasn't disappointed in the end after use. Actually bought this as a present for my Mum; not being a techy kind of person, she still find it easy enough to use.

Also, it has a bass boost button, just in case you haven't figured out that "more bass does not equal better sound". I haven't tried it but for those of you who have no taste, it is there.

Incidentally, I had read from other reviews that it eats up batteries, so rather than putting this to the test, I bought a mains adapter dubbed "Universal AC/DC MAINS POWER ADAPTOR 300MA 3/4.5/6/7.5/9/12 VOLT" off Amazon too, which powers the unit perfectly. Basically, it needs a 4.5v input voltage but if you search for that bit in quotes on Amazon, you should come up with the same thing.
on 19 October 2013
(1) It is no good for audio books because it always reverts to the beginning after being turned off. (2) I tried using it at the gym to play music and although it was resting on the console in front of me the anti-skip kept skipping all over the place. (3) The digital screen is way too small to display useful information.
Although it seemed like good value at the time I would recommend that you save your money and put it toward something more up market.
on 5 August 2010
I only bought this CD player about 5 weeks ago and I've been using it every night since then for about an hour, until now. I can't use it anymore because it refuses to recognise my CD's now and when I press play it just whirs around and around making a high pitched noise and eventually says "no disc" on the screen or it just keeps on spinning. I've tried all my CD's but none will work in this player anymore. The screen itself can't be read properly. Due to it already being faulty in such a short space of time I can only give it a 1 star rating.
on 3 January 2011
This little CD player is quite cheap therefore good value, but there are a couple of niggles. The display window is not that clear and the paper instructions rather obscure. There is no off-switch which is explained in the documentation but means that if you don't take the batteries out when the player is not in use they go flat! This was a bit of a surprise as the day after I had used it I had to replace the batteries. Also the instructions go on a bit about the rechargeable batteries and the charger which weren't included in this package, - annoying.
on 27 March 2012
I bought this item on the basis of a limited budget but wanting something of reasonable quality.If that is what you
require then be prepared for somsthing of a surprise. this cd player is way better than its price would suggest! the sound is superb and the ease of use means even the biggest technophobe will be pleased.Cody go to the top of my
list
on 18 May 2012
A good personal CD player from Amazon. Did not know that you could still get them. Very pleased. Ideal for listening to music in comfort, anywhere! Stylish design. I recommend that rechargeable batteries are purchased with a plug in battery charger (Lloydtron do them). I also recommend that JVC headphones are purchased for excellent quality sound.