Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 13 April 2017
Same as all other films of this genre - bit boring and easily guessed - Gave it to my friends 10 yr old Daughter - she liked it!
on 27 May 2017
This was beautifully played with great sensitivity raising a few questions. Thought provoking. I had never seen Katie Holmes but on this showing have a high view of her.
on 13 March 2017
Lovely feel good film
on 28 June 2017
Perfect
on 12 June 2017
Our granddaughter loved this DVD
on 14 August 2005
I went to go and see this with my girlfriend because she loves these kinds of movies, the sickly sweet, intoxicatingly happy and demure films starring little stars with little brains. Well that is what I expected when I entered the theatre to see this flick.
First Daughter is the story of Sam (Katie Holmes) who is America's First Daughter (the President's daughter) going to college, and surprisingly (not) wants absolutely no connection to her father or his political stand point. The story is touching and portrayed well even though it's quite simple.
Now I have to say, Katie Holmes is very attractive indeed, despite the Cruise-Gate situation she is absolutely excellent in this little motion picture. She really portrays an entire emotion pallet, and includes the innocence the character needs. (See the frat party) Marc Blucas from Buffy and "I Capture the Castle" fame takes male lead of the "hotty" from college that Sam falls for, but is he who he says he is?
This film isn't meant to be taken seriously, it's meant to be light hearted fun, with a story to tell and a person to explore. The critics scrutinize this and say its complete crap with a rubbish script. Admittedly the script is not up to the performance level, but it's only a film! Not a piece of Motion Literature and it is still hugely enjoyable! The soundtrack is also EXCELLENT, even though you can't buy it; it features great songs which is always a high point for me.
The DVD contains fairly poor extras: A commentary I cannot find on the disk, a featurette on the ballroom dancing between Holmes and Blucas, and a tribute to the composer who sadly passed away during working on the film. But despite the mediocre special features, they are interesting to see and give insight into the production.
My final words for this will be "watch this with an open mind". If you watch it expecting crap, you won't enjoy it. Expect the unexpected and watch this film with an open heart, open mind and a smile.
on 26 August 2017
very good
on 12 November 2005
A film a bit like a fairy tale. Good family film, with no blood, violence, perversion or explicit sex. A sweet romantic story, nothing heavy. A deft lightness in the direction by Forest Whitaker suited this age old formula of love beginning, possibly lost and then regained. It was nice to see a portrayal of a good father-daughter relationship. Michael Keaton was very believable as a US President and father.
Marc Blucas was excellent as the love interest, and at the moment seems highly under-rated as a actor. He gave some needed clout in the appropriate places. Good chemistry between him and Katie Holmes, who played the female lead.
on 2 January 2013
I enjoyed this film on the telly and really enjoyed being able to watch it as and when I wanted to in the comfort of my own home. The product arrived very quickly and in very good condition. I was very satisfied with my purchase.
on 18 August 2015
I have watched this film lots of times on TV and decided to purchase the DVD as it is a film that can be watched time and time again,I never get tired of watching this film.