on 19 September 2005
This exceptional product is easy to transfer from car to car, and with very good mapping and 3D display. Easy to use. I bought the US maps (which just slot in to replace the UK map card) as I travel there frequently, and pop it into my hire car and follow the instructions to obscure destinations like office parks and hotels I don't know. Last trip my flights from Maine were cancelled at the last minute, and I had to drive 6 hours to get to Newark airport - and my tomtom friend took me there without hesitation through multiple freeways and turnpikes. I even booked a room using the phone numbers displayed for hotels. Back home, just replace the map card and it will take me to any UK address. At the same time, it's a handsfree for my bluetooth mobile. Fantastic, and worth every penny (or cent).
on 26 January 2006
Got a TTG500 after much looking around, and trying out 10+ systems.
Sure TTG has some issues (quirks is a better description), but so have all the others. I drive artics and there is nothing worse than carrying 50+ map books for towns and city centres - and nobody appreciates 65 foot of artic parked up on a busy street with a perplexed driver at the wheel. Dead easy to use. Maps are as good as anyone elses. Put me in the delivery yard of a cider press in herefordshire just on the postcode - 1st time out of the box, boy was I impressed!
Great that you can create your own POI's and share them with others. When I going going somewhere new, I can normally find someone else who's been there, and get the POI coordinates of the drop off of them - then, hey presto, straight on the loading bay.
Audio instructions take a little getting used to (3 or 4 trips before you get the 'feel' of the way they are structured and how TomTom want you to understand them.)
Itineries are fantastic!
Would be good if you could alter maps yourself for permanently closed streets, new one-way systems etc.
If you drive trucks always make sure you select the 'Limited Speed' option always seems to select a valid route for trucks that way, but hey if it tries to send you up a country lane, drive on and it works out the new route.....if all else fails, browse the map and treat it like a map book!
All in all I would recommend TTG to anyone.
on 11 July 2005
I dont normally write reviews but having read one on here entitled 'Disapointed' I felt I needed to set the record straight.
This is a fantastic product. I have had no problem with addresses - and I do a lot of travelling around the country with work. The ability to find locations by address or postcode lookup is simple to use. The directions are clear, the turn by turn voice commands are also loud and well spoken, and the night colours mode is also an exellent idea, and make the screen colours less harsh in evening travelling.
The major benefit of this model over the 300 is the bluetooth compatibility - setting up my phone to sync with the unit was suprisingly simple, it imported my phone book in moments and has allowed for excellent hands free calling.
I really cant recommend this product enough!
on 12 July 2005
I've been using my TomTom Go for almost a year. From day 1 it has proved invaluable - it takes the stress out of driving to unknown destinations. Being portable I can also lend it to my children when they need it.
I've also bought TomTom Go maps for the USA so I can drive with confidence when over there on business or holiday.
It's a great design, the maps are crystal clear and the audio instructions concise. I'm also impressed that TomTom provide free access to software updates that allow the GO to be updated with new developments (such as the new post code navigation and the automatic volume increase as the car accelerates).
On occassion I have had to navigate to destinations not identified on the map - even this is catered for as you can browse the area, identify where you want to go and mark it as the destination. Of course now if you have the full post code you don't even have to do that - just enter the code and it'll take you there.
I've used other sat navs (built in to cars) but this to my mind is the best, most flexible - and certainly the most useful - of the lot.
Would've given 5 stars if it didn't occassionally 'spin' when driving through London - possibly due to the high buildings obscuring the signal.
on 20 July 2005
A brilliant product that really takes the hassle out of route-finding to fresh or linfrequently used destinations, however, living and travelling in rural locations can be a hassle when driving with wide vehicles and trailers. My suggested improvement would be a setting on Tomtom to keep to more major roads as an option for finding an easy route. This apart, it would have scored 5 stars. I just love it, and so will people who are nervous about travelling to new or little known destinations. I showed mine to my brother and had difficulty getting it back off him. Say no more...!
on 1 August 2005
i just bought this and its absolutely brilliant it paired with my husbands nokia 6630 phone using bluetooth and i can talk to him without him touching his phone even if his phone is in the boot of the car. {no hefty fines from the police.}it re-directs you, even if you do go the wrong way or finds an alternative route.this is a must to buy.do you know the best thing of all -its portable to go in any car you want it too. go out and buy one you will not regret it.its cushty man!
on 13 July 2005
This is fantastic, easy to use and pretty sophisticated bit of kit. Very clear screen, good voice instructions and lots of options for tailoring routes and the machine itself. The Bluetooth phone conection is pretty cool too, allowing you to upload your phone's address book into the TomTom and make calls through your phone, via the TomTom screen. Great stuff.
Can't understand the comment about SD cards - why not just use the one that comes with the machine? That one's compatible!
on 24 November 2005
I am the navigator. So why would my husband need a TomTom? We bought a TomTom 500 and now even my husband thinks he's a clever guy! The way he asks you to 'turn around when possible' when you have taken a wrong turn is brilliant. And my young grandson thinks he is great the way he says 'at the end of the road turn right; turn right'. So we all give the TomTom500 top marks.
But what happens if you buy a TomTom from Amazon and it goes wrong? Well you don't need to worry: I'll tell you why. When we used it with our bluetooth phone we found that the integrated microphone wouldn't work - we could hear well but nobody could hear us. I had registered on the TomTom website and reported the fault. Before I knew it, emails were coming fast and furious with printouts for parcel pickups by UPS. The TomTom docking shoe was picked up next day and I traced it to Netherlands. I followed the return of the new one and it arrived today. Talk about good after sales service. IT IS BRILLIANT. So buy your TomTom with confidence and enjoy it.
on 13 November 2005
Easy to use, fantastic features and no more arguments with the spouse! I did lots of research and even had friends research the TomTom (and other Sat Nav options) before I bought it and my husband and me are very happy with the choice. Paired brilliantly with my husband's Nokia phone as well.
(Mr Amazon man please remove my last review - i have since figured what the problem was -concerning my last comment-and think the TomTom 500 is fabulous - thank you very much!)
This is an invaluable piece of kit to anyone who travels a lot

helps you avoid those painfull traffic jams as well.

Two slight down sides one when travelling on the motorway its almost impossible to hold a telephone conversation as you cant hear what the caller is saying,although is fine on normal roads doing normal speeds. If the tom tom has been very heavily used occasionally one has to remove the card and reset the device. Iwould not want to be without my tom tom when travelling in or to unfamilar districts.