Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 January 2010
I bought this album solely on the strength of their first single "Themata" and I am so glad I went with my instincts. Themata is undoubtedly one of the best prog-metal albums to come out of the 21st Century. Each song is filled with ideas bursting at the seems from unsettling time signatures, vast dynamics, pounding rhythms and soaring melodies that are prominent yet subtle, allowing the listener to discover something new with each listen. Standout tracks, in my opinion, "Themata", "Shutterspeed" and "Scarab" displaying their obvious love of Tool's technicality and ambience but uniquely adding their own sledgehammer riffage to the recipe. The closing track "Change pt.1"'s sudden halt on the verge of climax teases the listener and instantly forces them to order their 2nd album "Sound Awake" in order to hear the finished product.
Overall, a wise purchase for an metal fan.
on 31 March 2010
A great career start for this Aussie band. Equal parts Grunge, metal, nu-metal as well as other influences. Cote is a stunning opener, followed by the sublime title track. Thereafter it flows at a great pace but has its light and shade before finishing with Change, fragile and enigmatic.

To start your love affair with Karnivool this is a great buy, once youve digested get Sounds Awake and you will be deeply in love forever, as the follow up is a Prog Metal tour de force !!!!
on 1 November 2011
Excellent album, i had heard sound awake first and loved every minute of it but having gone back, i am well impressed, this band were fantastic from the get-go, the album is absolutely solid, really strong tracks and themes throughout and delivered with an edge and determination quite different from their follow up. would recommend this to anyone into rock music with depth.
on 28 July 2011
At times beautiful, melodic, angry, powerful.....this is such a good album.

I found this much better, and more challenging and diverse than the second album, but that's just personal taste.

I can't recommend this album enough.

I think i found it whilst looking for intelligent rock in the vein of Tool. Now this is nothing like Tool but is excellent nonetheless.

Buy it!
on 15 August 2010
I've only recently discovered Karnivool (just by clicking on viewing 'friends' lists on similar prog-bands' websites like Oceansize, Dredg etc.. and seeing what else people have bought on Amazon) and am so glad that I did. The first song I heard of theirs was 'Goliath' off of their 'Sound awake' album. Having loved it and quickly purchasing that fantastic album, I quickly wanted to check out their other stuff. I purchased 'Themata' without having listened to any of the tunes on it and on playing the first song ('Cote') I was again so pleased I had bothered. With a start like that I was worried that the others wouldn't be as good - I was wrong but unfortunately only about 'Themata'. After the first 2 tracks the album degenerates slightly into a splurg of 90's nu-metal influenced stuttered guitars and just doesn't really do it for me. Here's a quick run down of each song...

1. Cote - Great tune; well constructed, very melodic but with driving guitars, interesting drums, beautiful vocals and super bass lines. Probably my favourite on the album. (5 stars defo)
2. Themata - Another great tune; nice big thick slice of modern prog (4 stars)
3. Shutterspeed - it's ok just doesn't have enough character
4. Fear of the sky - far too deftones-esque and doesn't really excite
5. Roquefort - better tune (3rd best on the album)
6. L1fel1ke - their earliest tune on the album and yes can imagine it was probably good back in the day but compared to their new stuff it's very dull
7. Scarabs - just an instrumental metal track, hints of deftones, hints of meshuggah, ok but they could have developed it and made it into a proper song and less of a segue.
8.Sewn and silent - a more gentle tune (probably joint 4th favourite), pretty good actually but doesn't really get me going that much.
9.Mauseum - a slow but driving tune, another good one acutally but doesn't really go anywhere to be a prog-band's tune
10.Synops - actually I forgot about this one, this is more interesting - a <reasonably> thick-ish slice of prog.
11.Omitted for clarity - utterly pointless 20seconds of silence, is it an 'in' joke or something, very happy to admit that it's significance is lost on me
12. Change (part 1) - knowing what (and how good) 'Deadman' and 'Change' on the 'Sound awake' album, this is just a frustrating snippet that always serves to remind me what I'm missing from their 2nd album. But at least it does make me put on that album instead (not that I need making...)

Anyway, I'm probably being a trifle unfair calling some of it nu-metal but I guess once you taste the sweetness and depth of 'Sound awake' it's very difficult to go back to it's rather bland predecessor. Don't get me wrong though, Karnivool are very, very good band.

T...
on 2 October 2013
recommended to all guitar lovers, loud, powerful, time signature challenges
to keep your attention and some real stadium classics on this album. just buy it.
on 30 November 2013
Karnivool's heaviest album, and it delivers. Songs such as roquefort and themata are more than worthy editions to their discography.
on 15 September 2014
A wonderful album. Karnivool push the boundaries, creating an immense, diverse album.
on 22 April 2015
One of the best albums I've heard for a long long time very pleased
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2016
well worth the money fine album from start to finish