Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 December 2012
I freely admit, I bought this on a drunken whim one evening. Being a grown-up is not all it is cracked up to be sometimes, is it? Every so often I yearn for a return to the safety of the Eighties; Swapping 'Smash Hits' stickers in the playground and reading 'Look-In' in the back row of dunce-set maths instead of doing battle with Pythagoras. Oh, I know I should have been swapping stickers of Peter Beardsley with the other boys but, let's face it, he wasn't exactly very photogenic was he? Keren, Siobhan and Sara, now that was much more my scene. And, of course, the fabulous Shaky.

I'm sure every one of the songs on this disc is an absolute classic in its own right, but the fact is I only bought it for a mere handful of examples of Shaky's genius, mostly from the year 1985. That was a tough year, 1985, and this man helped me to get through it. Let's look at his epic track, 'Lipstick, Powder and Paint' for instance; When I put that on now I am instantly back in my room, playing that number extraordinarily loudly for the benefit of my father. I used to actually wear a good deal of lipstick, powder, paint, high-heels... anything from that area really, in order to try to get his attention. That bit where Shaky sings 'Is you is, or is you ain't?' is almost an exact quote from my father. And he's still not sure about me, I don't think. 'Batting for the other team' - what does that mean?

This being December, any shop you go in around about now will have 'Merry Christmas Everyone' standing shoulder to shoulder with that one by Noddy Holder. Even after all these years, I still smile at my own naivety in believing this masterpiece to be finished with that first 'Doo-Doo-Dah-Dah'. If you can't feel good while listening to this then life really has inflicted its worst upon you. In which case things cannot fail to get better soon. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

Since my divorce I have found myself resident in the sort of gaff described so eloquently in 'This Old House'. I'm hopefully not getting ready to meet any saints just yet though, although I might just get another lock fitted to my 'Green Door' just in case. I wouldn't want them Making Those Eyes At Me, just in case They DO Mean What They Say... .
on 11 May 2017
This is a must have for any ageing 'like me' or young, rock and rollers, brings back many memories. Shakin Stevens would have been an even bigger star had he been around in the 50s. Fantastic tightly knit band, brilliant lead guitar, beats all the studio made groups and one hit wonders, who tend to mime when performing. Buy and enjoy.
on 10 June 2017
The first time I ever saw shaky was on a TV show called OH BOY when I was young I became a fan right at that moment, I think it was because he was like Elvis in denim and I'm a big Elvis fan. I' m a lot older now and I'm still a big fan of them both. THE'RE GREAT.
on 15 July 2014
I just want to briefly endorse this album by Shaky. As I write this review the World Cup has just ended and this compilation has certain similarities to the German football team. No real outstandingly brilliant individuals but a strong collection as a whole. Pleasure to listen to this album and you just cannot go wrong with it. Great buy!
on 27 April 2017
good old shaky great songs and a great singer
on 9 June 2016
you can`t beat a bit of shakin Stevens all the old favorites to sing along too
on 23 February 2013
Very happy with this product, bought it to surprise gift my brother who absolutely loved it, we both shot straight back to the 1980's!!! Fast delivery, very happy with this.
on 27 June 2017
What can I say but wow brings back my twenties
on 26 April 2017
Brilliant album and excellent service
on 10 July 2017