Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£10.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 11 May 2017
very good Chris still has the touch
on 28 April 2017
I am really pleased with the cd
on 29 March 2005
This latest album contains some of the best songs Chris de Burgh has ever written. The songs "The Road to Freedom" and "Snow is Falling" are incredibly poignant and emotional, particularly in these times of war and death. Having been disappointed by the last album, I was glad to see that this CD shows Chris de Burgh returning to what he does best: make use of his fantastic songwriting talent and great voice to present the listener with songs worth listening to, songs worth hearing every word he has written. There are enough so-called singers out there who have trouble carrying a tune, let alone produce a song that has something to say. I hope that Chris de Burgh will continue writing such beautiful songs, both in music and content, for a long, long time.
on 17 November 2006
Chris's previous album, 'Timing Is Everything' (2002), did not really push the boat out. 'The Road To Freedom' was released in spring 2004 and from the opening notes of the opening track, the instrumental 'When Winter Comes', you know that you're in for a very special 43 minutes with this album. 'When Winter Comes' starts off with a haunting piano solo before it develops into an orchestral piece with quite a sad feel to it. This track leads seamlessly into the title track, which, for me, is one of Chris' best. After a barren start, it quickly develops into a powerful lament for peace in his land with mentions of his son whom Chris seems concerned about in this and in the fourth track 'The Words I Love You' which was the first single off the album and which appears to suggest a strained relationship between him and his son. The third track, 'Snow Is Falling', is set against an orchestral back drop with other hints that all is not happy on the domestic front as well as, I think, a lament for those who have fallen in their quest for peace. The song reaches a crescendo and, by the end, I can't help feeling for Chris having listened to what I believe to be twelve minutes of his most emotional, personal music ever. 'Songbird' is for Eva Cassidy and 'Five Past Dreams' follows on from his most well-known hit from 1986; clearly, him and the wife are okay which is good to hear after the emotion of the early tracks. Darkness creeps in again with 'Here For You' which reflects on the time which has flown past since, I think, Rosanna was young. It is a poignant song. 'Rose Of England' is a very interesting return to his historical storytelling of old; this track could be from the earliest years of his career and it's brilliant. If you haven't been moved so far, the penultimate track, 'The Journey', will do so, especially if you've been recently bereaved. It is up-tempo and full of hope, although sad. 'Read My Name' is the only track which has a vaguely 'rocky' feel to it.
A beautiful album from Chris. If you thought he was losing it, try this.
on 9 November 2004
Having tried to get hold of a copy of this album for a while (it wasn't easy as most places were giving a 4 - 6 week delay) I was gutted to find that the CD will not play on my Media Centre PC - the copy protection not only prevents me from playing the CD but also crashes my PC. I only listen to my music through my PC and have it set up with an expensive sound card and surround sound speakers but this CD is going straight back to Amazon as unplayable. Having been to some of his shows and bought nearly all of his albums I am afraid the Road to Freedom is the exact opposite - its the end of the Road Mr De Burgh!
VINE VOICEon 20 May 2007
This album was released back in 2004 and is a wonderful return to his storytelling status which he started way back in 1974 with "Far Beyond These Castle Walls". I think that all the tracks on here are really exceptional and of a high standard. This is Chris De Burgh at the top of his game.

"When Winter Comes" is a haunting and beautiful instrumental which blends seamlessly into the title track "The Road To Freedom", a song about hope. There are other favourites on this album. "Here For You", a follow-up song to 1986's "For Rosanna" about his daughter and how much she has grown up over the years. It's a very poignant track I think and it also features Rosanna on backing vocals towards the end of the song which is a lovely idea. Also there's "Read My Name" and "Five Past Dreams" which is about his wife.

This is a terrific follow-up album to his previous "Timing Is Everything" and a great album. I hope Chris De Burgh makes more albums like this and his follow-up "The Storyman". This is a gem.
on 6 September 2010
Apart from CDs to replace vinyl copies of his early work this is the First C de B CD I have bought since his "minstrel storeyteller" days. Should have remembered the lessons of old, on first hearing "this is ok, some lyrics a bit twee" second hearing "maybe lyrics not twee, It's me become cynical" third hearing, '"listen without prejudice" this is very, very good indeed'. The first three tracks a return to the old tryptic formula of Crusader and Getaway, given the dangerous subject matter this could be sacharine, it is not, very sobering very haunting very beautiful.

Indeed a few listens repay by the bucketload. He may have once been diverted to the immediately accessible, middle of the road, but I think he has got back to writing with his heart more than his head.

I suddenly remember what it was like to actually listen to the music and how rewarding that can be, as in the good old bedsit days before 42" plasma's dulled our senses. Me being arty farty? I don't think so try it.

My wife, I don't think ever a fan in the early days, keeps playing it and commenting how good it is. And it is, it really is.
on 2 June 2004
This is one of Chris de Burgh's finest albums, except of course for Quiet Revolution. I am a huge de Burgh fan and I was a little dissapointed at the last album (Timing is Everything) because it seemed to me that Chris was trying to be to poppy and up-to-date. But I can let that rest as the new album is here. On "The Road To Freedom", Chris has suceeded in trying to be up-to-date, especially on the track 'The Words "I Love You"' (which was the first single from the album). Other tracks include part 2 of Lady In Red (Five Past Dreams) and "Read My Name".
This album is definently worth buying as there is such a mix of genres on the album. I now can't wait until the concert to hear all these great songs live!
on 4 November 2010
As with all of Chris's work, first listen does not do it justice, unlike today's tacky pop songs, these are deeper and need several listens to. Lyrics will capture you and make you wonder what , or who the song is about and this different form of listening will soon have you hooked! Moonfleet and other stories, his latest is fully appreciated, not only for its musical content, but for the amazing way that Chris has included all of the story, of the same name, available from Amazon!
VINE VOICEon 10 June 2004
From the first bars of the first song, you get the distinct impression that Chris De Burgh wants to do a soundtrack for an epic movie. "When Winter Comes" evokes visions of Dr. Zhivago, Gone With the Wind, The Ten Commandments or other such major cinematic event.
Similarly, "The Road to Freedom" and "Snow Is Falling" bring to mind movies such as "Roots", "Braveheart" and "Love Story".
He uses his distinctive voice and music to bring stories to life in dramatic form.
Someone, somewhere, PLEASE give this man a movie score to do!
"The Words I Love You" and "Five Past Dreams" are the standout tracks on an album full of rich, melodic and beautiful songs. The Caribbean and Latin based "What You Mean To Me" and "Read My Name" are interesting variations on the theme.
An epic album of grand scale.