Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 July 2009
This is a good album. I wasn't immediately blown away when I first listened to it but I've since really warmed to it. It is definitely experimental, but in quite a modest way - often with minimalistic instrumentation. I listened to the band's second album 'On Letting Go' first and found I 'got' this a lot more afterwards. I like the fact that the band cite inspirations from films and books rather than claiming to have had some kind of emotionally tumultuous life.
Essentially, if you think you could enjoy a band who use unconventional rhythms and effect-laden lead guitars (I should stress that it isn't experimental in the same way something like 'Between the buried and me' is) then check this out. Also worth looking at if you like 'Fall of Troy', who are also on the Equal Vision label; its the same kind of quirky rock/pop output - and has some genuine substance.
I would recommend looking at 'On letting go',though, as an introduction to Circa Survive.
on 7 January 2007
Ultimately this album is hard to sum up in a review. It one of those records that needs to be heard to be really appreciated. Anthony Green's voice is simply brilliant on this album, and he is backed up by one of the tightest and most creative bands out there. To say it is life changing would be a step too far, but it definitely changed my perspective on music and what it means to me. Just buy it, you will not be disappointed.
on 17 September 2006
Upon a first hearing i thought this band could be compared to yourcodenameis:milo, the vocals are similar i thought in places...however this is where similarities end. Im finding it hard to see where any math rock comes into this, for me this is Emo but backed by amazing sonic blasts from guitar and bass, supported by some rhythmic beats from the drummer.

Juturna winds and gets inside the head. It is calming and yet has a good edge to it which is far from what many Emo bands are releasing now. In my eyes the use of more effects and a toning down of screaming show that the Emo sound can evolve past what its critics have calimed to be the latest 'fad' in rock/punk. Check it out online at thier sites and then go buy!